Favorite Robin Williams Film?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by kitchencatlover • Aug 12, 2014.

1. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    Recently Robin Williams passed away and this is an awful thing to me. I personally loved a lot of his movies and thought he was a very funny and convincing actor. A few of my favorites included: Aladdin of course, Patch Adams, Jack and The Birdcage just to name a few. I thought it would be nice to just remember a wonderful actor for his best works.

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I mentioned

that the only 'quote' I can remember from him (other than "Na-nu na-nu") is "Good morning, Vietnam!" But the best movie he starred in would HAVE to be Hook

(with Dustin Hoffman & Bob Hoskins & Julia Roberts, music by Boston Pops director John Williams ... and didn't Spielberg and/or Lucas produce/direct? I'll

... yes on Spielberg, probably not on Lucas (unless he owns any part of Amblin Entertainment, which I understand is Spielberg's production-company); it also starred Maggie Smith as Granny Wendy, Caroline Goodall as Moira Banning, and Charlie Korsmo as Jack Banning)

Aladdin may have had the 'Disney-bump' to bolster it (and Robin's) popularity, but Hook gave Robin a chance to play his full range---from the serious father who'll do anything to save his children, to the kid-at-play riffing on Rufio in a pre-'imaginary-food-fight' insult-exchange ("You rude, crude, lewd bag o` pre-chewed food dude" :p )

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I loved Jumanji when I was a kid. I would watch over and over and never get tired of it. But my absolute favorite Robin Williams film is Good Will Hunting. I think that was the film that won him an Oscar. I love the story of that film. Makes me want to watch it right now. Rest in peace Robin!

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    When I first read the news this morning I couldn't believe it. I almost cried when I saw that he had died. He was one of my favorite actors out there, not just a comedian but an actor. I loved all his movies, I remember being introduced to him when I watched Popeye. He had this movie What Dreams May Come which was really beautiful and touching. Darn it, why does good people die so early... Rest in Peace :(

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love Jumanji as well and it's really one of those movies that i keep watching over and over when i was a kid. That movie brings back so many epic childhood memories. Now I'm getting nostalgic. :( I can't believe when i read about his death on twitter and based on what the reports said, he took his own life due to depression. I never would've thought he's a person who's capable of doing such thing, i mean he looks happy, he makes us happy but i guess he's also capable of putting on a mask just like most of us. This really makes me sad. :(

#5Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  6. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Can you really choose just one? I love Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, Night At The Museum, RV, Hook, and many others. He was a great talent and I was very sad to hear the news. It is one of the cruel ironies of life that a man who brought so many laughs to so many people couldn't see the light at the end of a dark tunnel. It just goes to show that you never know what someone is going through. I hope he has found peace now.

7. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I can't believe no one mentioned Dead Poet's Society yet... Really? Oh captain, my captain?
    He should have got an Oscar for that role, but he had the missfortune of Daniel Day-Lewis also having a movie that year.
    You never want to go up against DDL....

I never really liked Robin's stand up though...
    It's still a massive loss for the World.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    You know something? I never really realized how much I respected him as a comedian/actor/philanthropist. I would always watch a movie he was in. Regardless of how bad it might have seemed, I watched it. That's rare for me. I found his stand-up enthralling and non-stop. He would slip so many jokes into a sentence you would have to watch the shtick four times to catch them all. Sometimes you don't know what you got till it's gone.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    The news of his passing really broke my heart, I never knew him but he always seemed like such a genuine person. I feel for his family and friends and more importantly for all of the pain and sadness he had in his life. I think my all time favorite film is Mrs. Doubtfire, I remember going to see that in the theater and laughing so hard.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My favorite movie of his is Hook because I already love the story of Peter Pan to begin with and even though I admit that this pseudo sequel is far from perfect, it still is very entertaining and at least contains a lot of heart and charm. At first, I was very skeptical on their choice of Robin Williams for this role but as I grew up I only grew to appreciate it even more.

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Really depressing to hear this but he even tried to slit his wrist before going for the rope. Why? What is so bad that he had to resort to the extreme. The news are still reporting and this is making real sad. I hope that he's at a better place right now.

12. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Dead Poet's Society, hands down. My wife and I watched it on Monday night after we found out that he passed away. He had an incredible ability to become the character he played, and really felt like Robin was talking to me directly. He connected people, and in this movie, he motivated me to want to be more, and not settle. What an amazing gift he was to this world, and what an amazing movie!

13. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    It is so difficult to choose just one. I think he was a brilliant actor and comedian. There are so many great movies and memorable scenes. There is one scene in Hook where a little boy recognizes him as Peter Pan and the look in Robin Williams's eyes is just that of sheer kindness. I think that is why the news of his death has hit so many so hard. He was truly a kind man. As for my favorite Robin Williams movie, I think his performance in Goodwill Hunting was perfect. I also like What Dreams May Come very much.

14. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I've watched it last night too. It's just a perfect movie... There's so much positive energy flowing after you see it. It's incredible.
    Good Will Hunting is also pretty amazing, and it's just like you say: completely becomes the part.
    Both of these are teacher roles (in Good Will Hunting he's not really a teacher but still) and what a totally different tone he uses...

15. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say Good Will Hunting or Mrs. Doubtfire aside from the obvious Aladdin. He was such a great actor and I loved most of his movies. RIP Robin.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true. Robin Williams did have a look of kindness in his eyes. I'm not quite sure why, but there was always something kind of childlike about him, not in a bad way. He was a very whimsical person, and I liked his performance as the Genie in Aladdin. Very funny role from him. His loss is tragic.

17. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    First of all, I was very saddened when I heard the news that Robin Williams has died. What made it worse is that he apparently killed himself. It was ironic that a man who spent most of his life making people laugh had to kill himself because of depression.

Anyway, as to his movies, my favorite is the adventure film Jumanji. I picked this film because it had a huge impact on me as a kid growing. I can't count how many times my friends and me watched these when we were kids.

18. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I thought his role in Jacob the Liar really showed what a talented actor he was. This is not to say his comedy roles don't display that as well; comedy is one of the hardest types of acting there is! But he wasn't just a comedian, he was also a superb drama actor. The comments mentioned above have mentioned his kind eyes and gentle manner. It breaks my heart that there was so much pain underneath all those smiles. No doubt, there were medications involved. This has been the downfall of many people who experience emotional problems. I haven't read anything to that regard but every chemical drug we take can alter our feelings. As of April 2014, his Napa Valley Ranch was listed at 29 million dollars. At one time you could tour his wine estate. I think there will be a lot of things in the future to commemorate his great influence in the world.