Favorite Robin Williams Movie

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Feb 25, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I love Dead Poets Society and Jumanji. I remember being a junior in high school when our teacher showed the class Dead Poets Society. I never fell out of love with this movie. I saw Jumanji when it came out with my friend and his mom. I didn't even know about the movie or what we were going to see. I was in the third grade at the time and recall being so excited and entertain as I watched the film. I also love Robin in Awakenings and What Dreams May Come. In Good Will Hunting, the only reason I ever tolerated that film was because of Robin's character. That's it. He was truly a gifted entertainer.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Robin Williams was absolutely hilarious in Aladdin as the Genie. Very memorable role. He also had a darker and creepier role in a movie called One Hour Photo, but he did an exceptional job with it. It's so sad that he's not with us in this world anymore.

3. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I really love Jumanji. I remember when i was little, my whole family watch it all the time. It's a really great adventure film. It brings such nostalgic moments that's why i also love the movie. I still watch this movie once in a while. It's really sad what happened to Robin Williams but he will always be remembered.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only watched 2 movies of Robin Williams, and those were Jumanji and Mrs. Doubtfire. I didn't really like Jumanji, so hands down I would choose Mrs. Doubtfire. I was only 8 years old that time when my mom took me to see the movie, and I remember laughing in the cinema when his fake boobs started burning, lol.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a huge Williams fan and I like every movie that he stars in. However, my favorite movies of Robin Williams are Bicentennial Man and Goodwill Hunting. The former is the first ever RB movie that I have watched and I instantly became a fan after seeing it. The latter further cemented my image of him as one of the best actors of all time. In my opinion, he's up there with Tom Hanks and Morgan Freeman as the best actors of their generation. Not a bunch of Hollywood pretty boys but real men who value their craft.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I used to remember "Hook" as one of my favorite movie, especially the part where Robin Williams crowed and remembered. But then I saw it again on the plane and it was not.
    I loved Jumanji when I was younger; I've only seen bits of it since, passing by on TV, but it looks the same awesome as it was back then.
    Mrs Doubtfire is always a great watch.
    Dead Poet Society -- I expected so much from this movie, and I liked it, the end gave me chills. I watched it the first time the day after he died. It was an eerie feeling.
    And this Christmas, we watched A Merry Friggin' Christmas. This was not his best movie, not by far. But it felt so weird and good to see him on screen again.

Favorite is still Doubtfire and Jumanji, though.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watched A Merry Friggin Christmas too. I agree it wasn't one of his better movies but it was nice to see him one more time (if you don't count Night at the Museum) and I like Joel Mchale so that helped.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always forget that he's Genie's voice. Let's see, he was great in Bicentennial Man but it was a really gloomy movie. At least he became human, developed emotions and was eventually recognized by the government as a member of the human race. In the first Mrs. Doubtfire movie, he was so hilarious. He got me laughing so much. Dead Poets Society, Patch Adams and Jack have been inspirations you sometimes wonder how a man who starred in such movies would dare take his life (but I guess there are deeper issues involved so I can't really judge him).

9. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You're right about the deeper issues---the facts of life that don't change no-matter-how-many 'lesson-giving, inspirational stories of the past' you pile-up around them.

I don't want to call it "a paycheck to him" but "movies" is just 'what he does'; and you could say that 'his performances in the past' have earned him a measure of "friendship" with us audience-members, and we go see his lesser works in order to 'be good friends with him.' ;)

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dead Poets Society was shown a few days ago on television and it was good to watch it again. I first saw it at the cinema when it came out and it still moves me. It's still one of my all time favorites films and his best characters. I did enjoy Good Will Hunting, but his talent was in Mork and Mindy which I loved. He will always be Mork to me. Dead Poets Society can be misunderstood, but it unearths many issues we all face in life, but don't want to admit to.

11. asereht1970

asereht1970Member

Threads:
    My favorite Robin Williams' movies would be Mrs. Doubtfire and Jack. Mrs. Doubtfire is the first movie of Robin Williams that I had watched while I was working in Malaysia. I promised myself then that I would buy a DVD copy of this movie and watch it again with the family when I returned home. He was very good in showing how a good Dad would do anything just to be with his children. And since then, I try to watch all his movies.

12. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Most definitely Castaway. I loved the plot of him being stranded on a tropical island, and having to survive. I have always enjoyed survival films and books anyways, but with Tom Hanks leading the way, you're usually in for a treat. OF course who can forget the role of the supporting actor, Wilson! Didn't Wilson earn an emmy for his supporting role??? :)

13. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    That man had done some phenomenal work as an actor over the course of his career. His comedy was second to none and he had the uncanny ability to evolve into a character like no other actor.

Good Morning Vietnam was a great film that offered some great comedy as he played the radio DJ in Saigon during the height of the Vietnam War.

Mrs. Doubtfire is a favorite because the humor is incredible and he plays a woman for most of the film. Hilarious movie.

Dead Poets Society is an all time classic.

He was a great actor who will truly be missed on the stage and screen. May he rest peacefully.

14. Atlas_Hope

Atlas_HopeNew Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid Flubber was a favourite of mine, and his performance of the Genie is just unparalleled for the energy he brings. These are the two that are the most memorable for me, although there's a lot of other movies of him I wouldn't hesitate to watch again.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One Hour Photo. It was a really great movie, and as a bonus, it showed me a side of Robin that I've never seen before. I guess you could say I "typecast" him in my mind as a funny guy, so seeing him pull off a sociopath this well was really chilling to me. Amazing performance.

16. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    My personal most liked movie roles Robin Williams acted in are Good Will Hunting, Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook, and What Dreams May Come.

Good Will Hunting was a good movie because Williams played a role in the movie, which created a surrogate father-son relationship with Matt Damon's character. Also, Robin was able to portray in a convincing acting and reasoning that a humans' life should not be lived by the ideas of others, but from one's own heart and dream.

Aladdin, Jumanji, and Hook were some of my most liked fantasy movies when I was a child, especially Aladdin cause it taught me to be careful of what one wishes and have no regret for the consequences.

What Dreams May Come true is my most liked role from Williams, it revolved around the possibly of different dimensions interacting with one another and that life and death are but infinite cycles of existence. Plus, it was similar to a many mythological stories, which I've like to read since I was young.

17. kay17

kay17New Member

Threads:
    I really enjoyed watching several of Robin William's movies. Growing up, I watched Mrs. Doubtfire several times. My parents didn't really care for the movie, but I loved it. I think I even got it for Christmas one year as a kid. I find myself mocking some of his phrases from the movies from time to time. I would say my favorite part in the movie was when Mrs. Doubtfire was in the kitchen trying to make a feast for the children, and she caught everything on fire, including herself.

18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Robin Williams is one of the best actors of all time, no doubt. And one of my favorite movies of him is Dead Poets Society. The film is a cult classic and I have watched it during my literature class in college. This quote uttered by him totally stuck on my mind, "“But poetry, romance, love, beauty? These are what we stay alive for!”