Favorite Thrift Store?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Mayvin • Jun 13, 2013.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy going to thrift stores and one in my area that has alot of great things are the Goodwill. You don't feel like you're in a thrift store because of the size which is bigger than the standard and is so clean! If actually feels like a regular store. Plus the clothes they have there always look really nice, almost new.

For those of you who are into going to thrift stores which one is your favorite?

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately in my area Thrift Stores seem to be a lost art. I don't have any near where I live, and the closest one if about three miles away. I agree with you that Goodwill is a good thrift store, we use to have one in my area. One of the things I liked about them was they had a discounted area, where clothing was cut down even more. I managed to get beautiful sweater top on one of these racks for only a quarter. I miss having this store in my area, along with the other thrift stores we use to have while I was growing up, we had about three or four around us. Now, there aren't any, and for great deals I have to look for yard sales.

3. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    If you visit a Goodwill located outside of an affluent area, you will make out like a bandit! I have been able to almost completely fill my tool shed with quality items from Goodwill.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also agree with Goodwill. My local one looks like a department store because they got some mannequins and fixtures donated by a department store so it looks almost classy.

I was low on funds and had to buy a few school uniforms for my daughter, so I decided to at least look in Goodwill.
    They actually had some nice polo shirts in the school colors for $4, so I didn't have to go to the uniform store.
    I love thrift stores.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't call them thrift stores here, they are called charity shops. The most popular charity shop is Oxfam. I go to Oxfam when I am chucking out old clothes and when I'm in there I have a look around for a bargain. I know people who have found some amazing bargains in Oxfam but I haven't had any luck.

6. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    Well i have never been to one..i hope to visit one soon.I hope the products are all good out there. What are your opinions on it.?

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never really understood people who have a problem using stores such as these. If you can get something that costs less money than you would have paid in the shops, and it is the same quality, then why would anybody want to pay more? Plus, in my country, the money will go to charity and that means that you know that you're helping other people as well as getting a bargain for yourself.

I go into these shops on a daily basis, and I love to look at the things that are in there. You find a lot of really cool vintage things in there that people have donated that wouldn't be in the shops anymore, and that is something that I always look forward to when I am shopping.

Because of the fact that not a lot of people like to shop in such stores, they are forced to price their goods very low so that people will be encouraged to shop there. I found a pair of shoes for £1.50 that were still out in the shops for around £20, so I was very happy about that.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will not shop or donate to Goodwill any more since I read a report recently that they are exploiting disabled workers, paying them ridiculously low wages per hour. There's some loophole in the laws that allows them to do this. You can join the petition to fight this if you are interested:

My favorite thrift store is actually an outlet store for Dillards near me, in an abandoned mall. They're the last business in the mall, and sell all of the clearance items from Dillards stores elsewhere at dirt cheap prices. You can generally get stuff at like 70%+ off or more, especially if you are buying things off season, such as winter clothes in the summer.

9. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    That's horrible if that is true about Goodwill. I will agree that thrift shops can be great places to get a good deal. The store that is closest to me is a Salvation Army store. They have some good stuff if you have the time to look, which unfortunately I usually don't. I know my aunt has scored some really great items like designer suits and coats with the labels still on them for ridiculously low prices.

10. Lorigh

LorighNew Member

Threads:
    I have gotten some great clothes for myself and my husband out of Goodwill. My daughter likes consignment shopping at a place called Plato's Closet.

11. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    You should open one! If there are none in the area; they are ripe for one.
    I worked at a petty cool one for a couple of years. I probably spent my whole check there. This was an upscale store which refused to take Walmart clothes or even Target. I think virtually every article of clothing I have came from there! Wish I still worked there but my health was not good.
    The Goodwill here is pretty nice, as well. Now The Salvation Army store makes me itch! I have never been to a well run Salvation Army store. They are all cluttered messes. I don't have the inclination to dig through clothes that might be unsavory! We just got a brand new one; it is just as junky as the rest. Crying shame.

There is a Platos closet near me, as well. Never been but I heard they don't pay well for things you take in. I don't know. They are not exactly consignment, are they? I think they buy stuff outright. Not sure.
    I do really, really well all summer at garage sales! Unfortunately garage sale time is almost over!

That Dillard's sound great, right up my alley!
    I know Goodwill only gets it's charity status from hiring those disabled people. I will be very mad if they are being exploited and would love to sigh petition.

#11Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that Goodwill is my favorite thrift shop. I don't buy clothing, but there's one store dedicated to computers and computer accessories. I have found some great deals there. I am going to have to do some research about Goodwill and how they pay their workers. I won't support any more them if they do exploit their workers.

13. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a favorite thrift store, as I don't shop their often. I mean I can't really see myself in a thrift store too much.