Feed Stores

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Oct 23, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you live in the city, there may not be one nearby, but if you live in the suburbs or a rural area, you may be aware of 'feed' stores. They carry much more than just feed for livestock, and are good places to save money on pet food and other supplies, as well as some medicines.

Additionally, these types of stores often carry home and garden supplies, as well as apparel. My local feed store is owned by a couple who also own a farm. They spend their weekends on the farm, then bring back Fresh Produce. Their particular feed store also carries homemade pies and jellies/jams. There are also several other feed stores in the area, and some carry a lot more variety, so if you have one near you that you've never visited, stop in to see what they have. Their prices are often much better than the big box stores, and the products tend to be well priced and durable.

Also, just because you're in the city doesn't mean you can't save money, because some feed stores do have websites and will ship.

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, sounds great having homemade pies, and fresh earthy produce, but unfortunately there is not a feed store in this city, nor any I know in the suburbs either, sadly.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    The same function may be served in your area by a mom and pop convenience store or other bodega type shop. We had a lot of those back home, since it was more cityish than where I live now. The people who owned the stores did a lot of baking and cooking, and would serve their home cooked items in their stores. I pretty much do my own baking, but if I'm near an actual bakery, I will sometimes splurge, since those are few and far between down here, whereas back home, there is one on every corner.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We
    We have one of those stores in my area. I was in it, but usually when they sell dog food, birdseed etc. it is always in huge quantities. I don't need that much pet food or birdseed. We do have a new tractor supply store in my area. I haven't checked that out yet. We also have a Southern States COOP but I find that overpriced for most things.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I've been to Tractor Supply in my travels, but there isn't one that close to where I live. I love stores like that, they have such interesting things. Actually, that's where I purchased the air fresheners I have hanging in my vehicle. They're now in desperate need of replacement, but I keep them because they're so cute. I've never heard of Southern States COOP, I wonder if they have them here in Texas? I used to shop at the Harvard COOP sometimes, but that also was somewhat pricey.