Feeding your dog canned?

Discussion in Pets started by Nickchick • Mar 29, 2014.

1. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Rocky is the first dog I have fed canned too. We have been feeding him canned ever since we got him which is about 2 years but just recently stopped because it has been giving him the runs all the time. We started because my ex suggested that but I don't trust that fruit's word for anything anymore..still I wonder if I am doing the right thing because he doesn't really like the dry so he won't eat as much of it. Anyway I was wondering if maybe I should switch brands because maybe the brand is not good for him anymore. I know Pedigree is commercial so it's probly highly processed. Although the good brands are probly expensive and making homemade would probly be expensive as well. Plus you can't just simply switch. You have to wean off. It shouldn't be a big deal because it's too bad if he doesn't like it right? But there must be a reason they sell it? My previous dogs have been fine but I've never had a Pomeranian before. It seems like different dogs need different things and only one of the dogs I had I had for a long time. I know we need to eat different things, I would think dogs wouldn't be much different and I don't know if they get enough nutrients through the dry. This may be a stupid question but I feel very health illiterate and there seems to be mixed opinions about this. They say that dry is more processed than canned which makes sense to me but many canned brands seem like junk too.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will buy canned dog food and mix it into the dry food whenever my dog doesn't seem to be eating more and I notice a loss of appetite. However, I don't give him canned food on a regular basis. I believe dogs should ideally eat dry dog food so that his digestive system works properly. You can always tell a difference in their necessities when you give wet food, it gets soft and smells worse. Mixing a little once in a while should be ok.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I use canned food if I need to give my dog a quick fix. It all depends on the time that I have on my schedule to prepare its meals. Sometimes I might be pressed on time so canned food comes in handy. I am sure someone else here does that. But the food is not bad at all and in some forums it is recommended.