Feeling Burned By So-called Sales?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by thisnthat • Nov 29, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I was looking forward to doing some Cyber Monday shopping, but I really ended up more frustrated than excited. One of the items I was considering ended up being priced higher during Cyber Monday than it was before the sale! Oh, but there was a ten percent off code. Even with the code, the item would have been $2.00 more than it was originally.

Okay, so two bucks more isn't exactly a ton of money, but it's not a bargain either!

I also had an issue with another item. In order to get the 30% off discount, I would need to buy online (yesterday only). The problem was that they wanted to charge me to have it shipped to the store. Who charges for in store pick up? The shipping would have eaten up the 30% off.

I didn't have near as much fun with this Cyber Monday stuff as I thought I would. I give it a negative review!

How did you do?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    That is one of the reasond I haven't done cyber monday shopping in a while because I always find that their catches to get our discounts or that the prices are higher to then have them be discounted and end up being the original price. I like to shop in stores where the real discounts are found and not having to deal with any other charges, like in store pick up.

3. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have participated on various online and offline sales offers. Sometime there is definitely a catch because I get good quality products on really cheap rates or get some free products by paying for one product. However, sometimes the sale does not worth. I end up buying low quality products during the sale or the free products that I get as a sale offer will be of poor quality or something that I actually do not need.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really run into this before, so it annoyed me. Well, at least on Cyber Monday I don't remember it before. I have run into mark-ups before markdowns at stores in the past.

I think it's generally a bad idea to insult your potential customer's intelligence if you want their business. ;)

The deals that offer a free gift with purchase can be pretty hit or miss. I keep an eye out for those, since sometimes there are some quite good ones. You do have to watch out though.

I did end up getting a good deal on Kaspersky (although that was not a gift item).

5. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    this is the same reason why I do not always buy products online. I have seen some items online which have the same price on physical stores. Having the same price is not the problem, I saw this item which costs $1000 and was discounted for 30% which made the price drop to $700. I was so excited but it I still tried checking for prices online. I saw the same item being sold in a mall near my place and it was worth $700. Why would someone tell you that an item is discounted when it's really not?

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    It may be that the manufacturer has discounted the item, and now it is $700 wherever it's being sold. All the stores both online and off line that sell it may have marked it down. It's good that you checked though, or you might have ordered online and then had to contend with shipping charges or difficult returns (if applicable).

You have to watch all the time and compare. We have to be really vigilant to avoid being taken advantage of these days. It takes more time and effort, but it's still worth it when you get a truly good deal.

7. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    I have taken an interest on different on the web and disconnected deals offers. There is certainly a catch since I get great quality items on truly modest rates or get some free items by paying for one item. Be that as it may, now and then the deal does not worth at all.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seriously? What kind of company charges you to ship to a store? Please name and shame. Stores offer free delivery to a store as an alternative for those who want to save on charges or aren't at home to collect.

I think this store needs to rethink it's policy, or maybe they just haven't a clue that it puts people off buying.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen some stores offering ship to store services that they charge for, but I believe those may be pass through items they sell on a limited basis, such as larger items that require special shipping methods, which would explain them charging a fee. In those limited cases, I might pay for it, but otherwise, I would not pay for an item to be shipped to the store. If I'm paying for shipping, I want it delivered to my home, and if there are extra charges, it will be for white glove service.

I have also noticed in the past that some retailers seem to mark prices up before 'discounting' them for a sale, to make it appear that you're saving a lot more than you actually are. I avoid stores like that, because if they're dishonest about the prices, I don't trust the quality of the merchandise.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Well, this isn't their normal policy. It was in effect during the Cyber Monday sale though. I even called the store that had the item in stock, and they were shocked. The girl on the phone couldn't believe it either.

It was Payless Shoe Source. I was looking for a certain kind of shoes for my grandbaby and could not find her size anywhere. They had one pair in her size at the store I called. I was going to be in that city the next day for an appointment, so I thought, I can just pick them up there to avoid shipping charges (since after the discount the purchase prices would be under the $25 minimum needed for free shipping).

Well, the store couldn't process my order. When I talked to the corporate office or w/e it was (the number on the site) they told me I would have to pay to ship it to the store. I said it's already at the store and nobody charges for in store pick up. They said no, they would have to send out a pair if I ordered during the sale. Now, usually, there is no charge to ship to store, since they send a truck there anyway with other inventory, as per the girl at the actual store. So, they could have put the on the truck, but they wouldn't do it that way.

I guess it's just a big mess when they hold these kinds of sales, but I told the girl on the phone that I had no interest in spending my discount to pay for shipping, and especially not to the store.

I did end up finding the shoes elsewhere and got a pair. Yay.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat what a mess! I never liked that store, but will admit it does have a large selection and it always confused me going in with too much choice.

I think it sounded silly and was silly because no one thought to change the computer program and instructions. At the end of the day, the staff can only do what the computer allows them. I hope it has been brought up as a conflict, because sale or not, it was an incorrect policy.

Generally stores that charge to ship to a store I can only see as inexperienced, because why would you do that? Perhaps they offer it as people are out during the day, but surely they should use it as a selling point to get people in to buy more?

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a huge fan either, but they had the size I was desperately trying to find. Babies grow out of shoes so quickly that they don't really have time to wear them out, so I figured in this case it would be okay.

Yeah, I figure it was more of a "glitch" type of thing as opposed to some sort of intentional scam, but it still left me feeling annoyed and frustrated. I'm a firm believer in yelling loud enough for everyone to hear when I feel I've been done wrong (intentionally or not, they didn't try to fix the problem).

I probably won't shop there again, all because of something that could have been avoided. I'm sure that it was the final straw after having had other issues during Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I think next year, I'll just shop early and avoid all of this.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't shop at all on Cyber-Monday. I'm much more interested in keeping my coins in my pocket than using them to buy things that I probably really don't need, just because I've been hypnotized into believing that 'they' are doing me a favor by giving me "sales" on a "cyber-Monday", lol.

On the other hand, I get hypnotized easily because I Love to shop, so these "black" shopping days, and "cyber" shopping days are very tempting, but thank goodness I haven't had a lot of money to play with here recently. I really would like to buy some nice Christmas presents though, and buying them online would be great, I can avoid the holiday rush.

I agree with you that $2.00 is not a large amount, but if the price of an item is $2.00 more on a supposed "sale" day than it was originally, like you, I'd have a problem with that.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My sad experience in sale is when I did not grab the opportunity. There was this stretchable jeans that I was planning to buy for my wife and the website was promoting that jeans with a free sauce pan. And since I am a procrastinator when it comes to purchases, it took me a week before I finally decided to buy. Lo and behold, the sauce pan was not there anymore so I had to settle in buying that jeans for my wife’s birthday sans the sauce pan.

15. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    When the retailers offer sale, they keep many hidden conditions which are apparently not visible by the customers. The T&C is written in minuscule text, and the buyers often overlook it. This holds true both online and offline platforms. However, during offline purchase there's a chance that you know all the hidden traps while making the bargain, but online shopping could be trickier in this aspect.