Fermented Foods Anyone?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by remnant • Jun 24, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Fermented foods are cheap to prepare almost using next to zero amounts of energy or other inputs save for the equipment you would use to prepare the food. Yoghurt and sour milk are good examples. In areas where energy options or time constraints are an issue, fermented foods come in Handy. There are numerous fermented food recipes which one can prepare. Do you have examples from your area?

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried Kombucha? is a tangy, effervescent tea—typically black or green. The drink is often flavored with herbs or fruit. Kombucha is produced by fermenting tea using a "symbiotic 'colony' of bacteria and yeast" . You can find it in many natural foods stores and some farmers’ markets. A tiny amount of alcohol is sometimes produced during fermentation—usually less than 0.5 percent alcohol by volume. However, some kombuchas have been found to contain up to 2 or 3 percent alcohol. Not a worrisome amount, but still.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I heard of Kombucha on the Dr. Oz show. I have never had any, but he said it is a healthy item to put in our everyday diet. Does anyone know if Kimchee (probably misspelled) is fermented?

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Kimchi is fermented and so is traditional dill pickles and sauerkraut. Anyway, I'm sure those things are quite cheap - if you happen to live in an area where they are popular. Anyway, this talk of kimchi is making me hungry. I love the stuff. ;)

5. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I do love eating these types of food especially kimchi, but the problem is I don't know how to make kimchi but I do make fermented mustard leaves. I eat this as it is or I would saute it with garlic, onion, tomatoes and eggs. I always eat this with fried fish, tilapia most of the time since they are always available here. Fermented mustard leaves are easy to prepare, you just need mustard leaves and salt. you just need to rub the salt all over the leaves and crush them little by little until they are kinda soft or squishy. Put the leaves in a jar, now you need to use water than has been used to wash rice. Put the water in the jar and seal the jar real tight and just let it sit there for around 3 to 5 days before you eat them.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love natto it stinks if you don't add a little mustard, but it's great with hot rice. We put green onions and sea salt with a little mustard, the kind you put on your hot dogs and mix well to taste. [​IMG] Dr. Oz had a segment about natto too. I like kimchee with spam & rice. I buy fermented vegetables like mustard cabbage, head cabbage, Maui baby eggplants. Cut it up and eat with tea rice scrumptious. Tsukemono like kimchee is also a side dish, mmm good! [​IMG]

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Well, bread too is essentially made from fermented dough. We make a kind of dumplings called idlis which are made from fermented rice and black gram batter. Then we also make dhoklas, a tasty hot and sweet savory treats.

Attached Files:

8. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Pickles are also fermented. You can pickle any vegetable and even some fruits. Cucumbers are not the only veggies you can pickle.

There are so many tutorials on Youtube on how to make it on your own. So that will save you from buying books.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I consume these types of foods but they are regulated because I don't like them so much... Especially when they are fermented in high doses (this is terrible :confused:).