Fighting Anxiety With Food?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Shine_Spirit • Jun 9, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Anxiety can result in various types of reactions being triggered in each person. Some people need to do some physical activity, others need to listen to music, others need to talk, others need to be alone and others need... To eat (I particularly belong to this team :D).

Are you one of those people?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    The time that I was low and depressed all I wanted to do is eat junk food, chips to be precise. Something about them makes me happy especially if they are spicey. I guess since they are my favorite dessert my taste buds are happy so that makes my mind happy. So what I did was by myself a big bag if them and eat them while I watch my favorite show.

3. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Please include me in your team too as I always crave for desserts like ice cream or any sweet which will throw away all my depression and makes me really happy changing my mood. Even though eating them often is not good for your health they can really help us to lift our spirits. :D

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Whenever I am in a phase of anxiety. eating some sweet fruits like ripe bananas, mangoes, etc. and indulging in a bit of exercise would be helpful remedies to beat the unsettling feelings. These are the means by which I would probably be able to relax and take my mind off whatever is making me feel uncomfortable, however, eating food like desserts, pastries and prepared meals would not be high on my agenda because my appetite for them would be at a lower level.

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I fight anxiety with ASMR videos instead. The personal attention type of ASMR videos gives me better confidence an they also relaxes me and they are free. All I need is a headphone and Youtube. The tingles from my head through the spine gives me a euphoric feeling.

6. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I'm in the food club too. I always feel so much better about everything if I can have a bar of chocolate (a big one!). Sometimes I do it for other reasons too. If I'm relaxing in front of the tv and feeling good I often want food to heighten my pleasure. A bit like having that 'one more drink' and then regretting it. I always feel so fat after I've indulged in a food binge.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 Try ASMR, I swear it is cheapest way to fight anxiety without spending money and gaining wait. The tingles in your spine will make you feel better and happier. It is also the cheapest way to relax without going to an expensive spa. There are thousands of ASMR videos on Youtube it can really fight anxiety and stress really good.

#7Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  8. Jora

JoraNew Member

Threads:
    I can't argue with the fact that when you're feeling down there are certain foods that just work to lift you up, but for me it's more wine than food. I never eat when I'm depressed, but I will drink wine and eventually start to feel better - scratch that - less depressed...

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    One thing that I can say is just how easy it is to succumb to this after the whole quitting smoking thing. That was a rough period in my life, and reaching for food just replaced the cigarette.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is my tendency before. When I am depressed, I have nothing to do but to eat especially junk foods. I noticed that I am getting fat. I was preoccupied eating those foodstuffs but my woes and worries won't disappear, won't leave me. Well, as a matter of helping myself from such anxiety, I would have to do some exercises like a brisk walking, sit up, push up, and the like. Or I have to listening to my favorite classic music, popular music or watching some hilarious movies. But the most outlet for recovering myself from any form of problems is to grab the scriptures. Read some passages there especially for inspiration, healing, among others and I couple them with a prayer of faith. Presto! I am relieved,

11. Tiile23

Tiile23New Member

Threads:
    A big "NO" and don't think it's a good idea too. I think this can be a major cause of Obesity because if for instance anxiety strikes you the whole day, will you be eating the whole day?? Hell no. However, the other alternatives seem better to me, especially talking to people, yhh talking to people I mean :D This is a proven way of releasing stress and calming general anxiety. Keeping to oneself in situations like that could easily lead to low self esteem and social-disconnect. So I think the best way is to talk! talk! and talk!! :D

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know of many people who turn to food when they are stressed. They call it comfort food or comfort zone (the dining table). And although many are successful in fighting anxiety with eating binges, physicians say that those with anxiety problems should resort to other measures to combat their anxiety. Going out, socializing, playing, and other social activities are some of the good ways to combat the onset of anxiety... but not eating.

13. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I can relate to this ! :) I like to eat when I am anxious or depressed, I especially crave fried foods but then found I am getting overweight. So I just keep lot of fruits at home and I turn to them when I am anxious. I have also started walking regularly, a brisk walk of about 20-30 minutes a day boosts my mood considerably. Walking has also reduced my anxiety and hence, the need to eat food too! You could try walking or some other exercise that you are comfortable with.

14. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    A lot of people eat when they are stressed, depressed, or anxious. When my anxiety is high, I don't have an appetite at all. It's hard to eat, sleep, or think. When I am feeling low, I tend to eat more. I'm sure it's different for everyone though...

15. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I tried to fight anxiety with food. And I have gained weight. Now this weight is harder to get rid of. Because the time when I am supposed to do the exercise, is being wasted on the eating. So that can be a bad approach to handling issues. So I think anxiety should be handled with some sort of physical exercise. That's how one can have healthy habits.

16. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes when we are depressed we are starting to eat very much. The fact is that eating a lot of foods not helping us at all but our mind process this as a big help! I must say that this is not a good way to deal with anxiety because we may cause even more health problems, and some may not be fixed anymore!

17. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I suffered from the same problem. Eating is a bad side effect of anxiety and depression. The only way that I lost weight was getting off the Meds.

18. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Haha:D. Food. The ultimate solution for all.

A close family member battled with anxiety for a while. He did go to therapy but ultimately what seemed to work for him was volunteering at an orphanage on weekends. He's like a new person when he gets back from one of his visits with a group. He often talks about how wonderful these children are and the activities they did with them that day and so on. So I would say, if you are struggling with anxiety or even depression, move attention from yourself unto something or someone else. Don't wallow in self-pity. Do something small for someone else. I'm not sure why it works but it does work.

19. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I do eat a lot, but eating is not my stress reliever. It is more of a hobby for me and my wife. I think the good thing about me is I don't let depression and anxiety get the best of me. I would always say to myself, "better this than that". I know that there are lots of things that can happen to me, some are even worst, my God gave that challenge because he knew I can handle them. Another thing I do is I just look everything has a brighter side. Life is too short for you to bask on problems and obstacles. Look at things positively and you will see things in a positive way.