File Hippo For Safe Software Downloads?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by MissLibby • Aug 8, 2016.

1. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    I purchased a new computer and I'll need to download Avg, CCleaner etc...and I know there is a site that has safe software downloads for all kinds of stuff and I think it's called File Hippo. I've used this site before for my software downloads but it's been a long time ago. I just wanted to check and see if anyone uses this site for their downloads and if I have the name correct.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    File Hippo is one of the worst places to download software.

A friend of mine downloaded software from the site but apparently the software came bundled with malware and he spent quite a lot of time trying to get rid of [the malware].

I think it would be better if you got your software from CNet, Softonic or Softpedia.

3. gwood

gwoodNew Member

Threads:
    I have never used it to download and install anything but I the site looks suspicious it is better to void it. There are tons of alternative available anyway. Also, you can just run a scan with your antivirus software on the after downloading the files to be sure I guess.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Best not to take unnecessary risks at all. What if the malware that comes bundled with the software is not detected by your antivirus software? What if it is spyware and you unwittingly let it run and all your passwords are captured?

This is why it's always best to download software from the official download site or a reputable third party site which actually scans the files to ensure they aren't tainted with malware.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I heard of File Hippo and tried to download a file from there and before opening the file, I scanned it first using my antivirus before running or opening it. I haven't seen any virus or malware from it but never downloaded anything from there since then. I usually download files from Google Drive or MediaFire or MediaShare (I think, I forgot the name though) which are both safe :D

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that the safest way to download files is to download it directly from the software developer's website. That's what I do to be assured that it has no virus whatsoever. I heard that it's also not safe to download from CNET anymore, so just go directly to the manufacturer's website. I do notice that files from Mediafire are safe.