Finances Of The Married Couple

Discussion in Personal Finance started by Denis Hard • Jun 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When a couple gets married they no longer should spend their money like the used to before tying the knot. Making slight changes to accommodate the other person isn't the solution either.

It's better for the couple to have the person who is more frugal to handle the family's finances because this would in the long run be good for the family. Even if you get divorced you'll have a lot of money to split 50/50.

For those of you who are married, who "handles" the money you both earn? Or does everyone spend their money as they please?

2. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I handle the finances in my household. My husband is fine with money, but I enjoy it more and I have more things that I'd like us to accomplish financially.

We combine all of our income into one pool, and then we each get a small amount in the budget that we can spend on whatever we want without having to justify it to the other person. That works well for us, and I don't see us changing our system as we move forward. That doesn't mean it would work well for everyone, obviously. I think most everyone on both sides of our family have their money separate and each person has certain bills or areas of spending that they are responsible for. As long as both people are on the same page it generally works itself out.

3. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    My hsuband pays the bills online. Our house is fullly paid 8 years now. He handles the money and allots allowances for each member of family. He hands me the grocery and market allowance to manage until every next pay day. Amazingly, I save a lot more with this kind of arrangement. With some of the savings, I am able to send money every month to my elderly widowed mother.

I keep my work-from-home money in my personal bank account. He knows this.

4. ACEP

ACEPMember

Threads:
    I handle finances at our home. We also opened a bank accoount for our child savings for her future.