Finding The Right Doctor

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Feb 23, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom has an issue in her leg for almost 2 years now, she can't walk straight even if she has seen the best doctors. I think she was poorly advised by them, but who am I to say. How do you find the right doctor?

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I think most of the time I find doctors straight from word of mouth. That way you can find out for sure whether they doctor is what you're looking for or if it's someone you don't think you'll like.

I would definitely start by asking around your social circle, or if it's for your mom ask around her social circle or around people her age that you know. Maybe ask a few of your neighbors the next time you see them, etc.

It also doesn't hurt to go to the doctor once with your mom for the first time and make a judge of yourself on whether the doctor is good and whether you would continue to advise your mom on going to that specific doctor. Or even ask your own doctor to see if there are anyone they can recommend.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is hard. It seems nowadays with so many school options and medicine courses are everywhere, doctors are not always knowledgeable. It's like they were going to frat parties instead of studying!
    Finding a good doctor is mostly about indications for me. People will tell me they went to such and such doctor and they are good. That is how I usually trust them better.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually find the doctor by the suggestion of my friends and family. I do not think there is any other method to do it. I prefer not to browse online for the names of doctors as it is quite stupid. I usually ask my friends and family.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think sometimes you might need to rely on the recommendations of friends. That's why some people have family doctors who know other good doctors they can refer you to if they are unable to diagnose what your problem might be. All you need to do is make friends with doctors or nurses and they'll know who is the "best."

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's not something you know then and there. Some medical practitioners have their own websites where they display their track record, milestones and qualifications. Perhaps you can search online for the "right" doctor for your mother. Although at the end of the day, you or your mom will still be the one to decide whether or not the doctor is the best one there is.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely ask around. People are more than willing to tell you about their experiences with doctors and whether or not they like certain ones. Of course, if you have insurance, you might also have to find out which ones accept the insurance that you have, which could narrow your choices a bit.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear your mom is not doing well. A new thing is the doctors you can call and tell them what your problem is and then they can tell you what your illness solution is. I just looked into joining one of these memberships it is call telemedicine, you don't need insurance to call if you are a member.