Fire ants

Discussion in Home & Garden started by kate23 • Oct 7, 2012.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I don't kill insects or any creature usually, but fire ants are one insect that I can't live with. They really hurt when they sting you and they're eating wooden things in my yard, they're got large ant beds all over the lawn, they eat my feral cats food when he leaves some so the leftovers get wasted, they get into plant pots, they're a danger to pets, I could go on and on! My yard has a huge infestation of them and they're even coming in The House now. I've started pouring diatomaceous earth on them and it's been working, but it's taking awhile since there must be millions of them. Everyday I stir up their beds and then pour DE on them when they come out, except I haven't been able to do this in a few days since it's rained everyday (DE only works dry). Hopefully they haven't multiplied in that amount of time (I've seen loads of eggs).

What does everyone else do to get rid of fire ants, if you have any?

2. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    Got to get Amdro - it's the only thing that works worth a flip. Don't disturb the nest. Keep treating with the Amdro. I have used another product that you use scatter over the lawn, but with limited results.

I lived in Florida for twenty years, where they're fierce. There used to be a product called a Fire Ant Extinguisher; it had a wand that you plunged into the nest and 'pulled the trigger' (pushed the button) - and it was great, but I guess the chemical was deemed to hazardous and they don't have them any more.

You can also do a lot of damage to them if you pour boiling water into the nest (really boiling, not just hot). Nothing toxic there. They don't do well if frozen; we're in a Ag Zone 7, and in freezing weather I excavate the nests with a shovel. They are almost catatonic in the cold, and opening the nest to icy weather kills masses of them, if not the whole nest.

Best of luck with these very tough, nasty little beasties!

3. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I use Amdro and it works wonders. Spray it regularly or they'll come back. We have to fight them every year living in the south.

4. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I live in Florida, they're bad here! Although, I've lived in Florida my whole life and have always had some fire ants in my yard, and never treated for them before, but I don't think they have ever been like this. There's so many of them and they're everywhere.

I've never heard of Amdro, I'll have to look into that. Is it chemical free? I'm trying to not use any chemicals so if not I'll continue using the diamataceous earth and see if I can get rid of them with that, or try the boiled water.

5. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Bleach... I use it for any kind of creature I want to get rid of. Like you, I don't like to kill insects or any living things, but if it threatens my safety or my dogs' safety, I'll eliminate it.

6. Sondra

SondraNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with you most of the time i tried to avoid these insects in my house or try to let them go but these fire ants they are really bad they bite so bad so i can't handle all this i hired some pest control expert for them now everything is fine.

#6Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  7. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Amdro too and it killed the hive. For a natural fix, try plain old cornmeal. The workers bring it back and when the queen (and the other ants) eat it, it expands and they die. I would not have believed it but I tried it one time (I actually used a baking mix that was part corn meal) and they came a running and then over time they were gone. Another I just learned to repel them from the house is pepper. It throws off their scent trails and they will repel back from a line of it.