fireplace is good for cold areas

Discussion in Heating started by marshelluise • Feb 19, 2013.

1. marshelluise

marshelluiseNew Member

Threads:
    i want to share my view on fireplace .Fireplace now days are safe to use and install, they are very common in almost every modern home. Fireplace creates ambiance environment in room and creates freshness in the room, fireplace are very important in homes as they are portable and can be place anywhere in home.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The portable fireplaces are very convenient to have for cold areas. My sister has one in our mothers room to help keep her warm room more like a sauna and one in the back area of the house. They do put out a lot of heat and look very good. Some of fireplaces are electric while some have to use cans of sterno gel fuel for the flames.

3. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have always wanted a house with a Fireplace. When my husband and I moved into our New House we added a bathroom in our downstairs living room and I wish we would have went with the other square footage home, because we would have had more space to add a portable Fireplace. The Fireplace is also great because it is romantic! A Fireplace can also give the house a nice comfortable and relaxing feeling.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We are wanting to get an electric fireplace for our living room sometime soon. We have been looking at them for a couple of years now and the problem we are faced with is buying one that is large enough to actually heat the main living area but still be affordable enough for our budget and be built to last. Yes, we are being a bit picky but it is something that we hope to enjoy for many years to come.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a fireplace but we rarely use it because it is quite expensive to run, the central heating system is actually cheaper. The only time we use the fireplace is when we have spare firewood from chopping down trees in the garden.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a fire place in my home but i don't use it cause i was told it wasn't safe it's pretty old and hasn't been used in a very long time so i choose not to use it.

7. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    We have a fireplace and it is suppose to gas, but either the gas is not connected to it, because it does not work, so we just burn wood logs in it and it heats up our living room pretty good.

We will probably buy an electric one for our downstairs/basement area, because it is very cold down there and I am not turning on the separate heating unit when our heating bill is so high in the winter!

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a fireplace in the house where I grew up. I loved it. A fireplace really warms up the house. I remember sitting around the fireplace with my family drinking hot chocolate. Good times.

Now, I live in an apartment with a fake fireplace. It's supposed to be gas, but it's not hooked up. A gas fireplace pales in comparison to a real fireplace anyway.

9. annifer333

annifer333New Member

Threads:
    I agree that the portable fireplaces are more modern and require less 'work" than a real fire place. You don't have to chop wood, clean the chimney, or clean the soot off of walls. If you spend the money, you can get a really nice fake one that looks almost real!

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted a fireplace as well. I just don't have the money to add one to my house. I have a spanish style house and a flat roof so it is difficult to put one in as well. The same goes for central heating. I have a ground heater and no AC units. If I want AC, I have to put it under the house.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You must live in a warm climate if you have a Spanish style house with a flat roof. There are no flat roofs where I live because it's cold and wet most of the year, the roof would cave in!

Central heating is very expensive and the prices continue to rise. You are better off wearing a few extra layers.

12. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to have a fireplace in my home, My brother has one and they are so nice to have, they keep you warm and it is relaxing to sit back and just watch the fire, really easy to fall asleep on the couch watching the fire and listening to the crackling sounds!

13. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    Nice out of you for this post. This is the very thing that I ought to say. Using fire place is very convenient in cold and not only save your gas/electric bills but also stops wastage of energy.

14. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I love fireplaces because it reminds me of Christmas at at aunt's house. She had a fireplace and we use to gather around it at night during the holidays. It helped reduce her heating costs because it was a wood burning type and there were a lot of trees around her neighborhood. I think if you are in an area where you can easily get firewood for free then using a fireplace is a good way to save on gas or electric heating. It may take a bit more work than flipping a switch but if you are serious about saving then a bit of effort will be worth it in the end.

15. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Electric space heaters that look like fireplaces may be nice. If they use IR LEDs they may be economical to use. Actual wood-burning fire places can be very inefficient, as low as 10%. A good quality cast-iron wood-burning stove with a catalytic converter can be as efficient as 90%. Some areas will not issue a permit on a new fireplace or wood stove without a catalytic converter due to pollution concerns. A wood burning stove is probably the most comforting type of heat. Buy your wood by the cord or truckload, not by the bundle. Wood heats you twice, once when you cut it, the second time when you burn it.

#15Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013