First programs you install on your PC?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by iNg • Aug 8, 2012.

1. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    On a brand new install, I'll generally start off by installing Chrome, Skype, Steam, OpenOffice, Adobe Acrobat, Winrar and Avast. Over the first few days I'll add to that list with things like Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Notepad++ and the programs I use for my developing. uTorrent, Dropbox, and some other utility programs come soon after.

From that point, I'll just install programs as I need them.

2. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Mine would have to be Firefox, iTunes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Office and then deleting the over-rated and performance draining free Norton Anti-virus. Almost every new computer I had would come with a trial version of Norton and the programme is just pure irritating. It not just drains your computer of performance and space, it also slows down the start-up of your computer. The worst part is that it has so many components to it just for a trial version and you have to delete them component by component. I cannot imagine using a full paid version of that crap.

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:

I'll list mine.

Itunes - This is for my music and audio cravings
    Google Chrome - Main web browser that I use
    Mozilla FireFox - Secondary web browser that I use
    Photoshop CS5 - When I need to crop a picture or add effects to a picture
    Dreamweaver - When I feel like wanting to create an html webpage
    Winrar Archiver - For my extracting needs
    Internet Download Manager - For my downloading needs.

4. Trandafin

TrandafinNew Member

Threads:
    First programs I have installed on pc yahoo messenger and skype was because I have very many friends and I like to keep in touch with them all the time. Other programs would be winmap because I love listening to music .

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    First programs I install on my PC would have to be Virus protection, MS Office Suite, Real Player, DivX, Windows media player, AutoCAD, and Skype.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    for me here are the first programs that I must install for me to work in my computer:

1. Chrome/Firefox
    2. Magix Music Maker
    3. Adobe Photoshop
    4. PDF Reader
    5. Avira

7. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Chrome, an antivirus, a good firewall, word processor, and steam.

8. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Steam, iTunes, Malwarebytes, Ableton, Pidgin, TeamViewer, Skype, FireFox, CCleaner, Avast Antivirus, Hotspot Shield & Open Office

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried FL studio(the demo) pretty decent piece of kit if you know how to use it.

10. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    Vipre, Fl studio, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Office are the first programs that I installed onto my PC. I think these program were very important to me and to my computer.

11. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I first install all the hard drives and make sure they're working. My first programs are Avast Antivirus, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Bittorrent. :)

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    My very first program installed is a web browser and I choose two actually which is Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. My next application installed is an antivirus to ward off any trojans and viruses that may damage my computer. I will then download Picasa, Scilar's Grooveshark Downloader, WinRar, and IDM.

13. BrianDouglas

BrianDouglasNew Member

Threads:
    In this order:

1: Windows Updates
    2: FireFox
    3: I install CCleaner
    4: I install Auslogics Disk Defrag
    5: I run Ccleaner and do both cleaning and registry cleaning
    6: I defrag the entire thing, using the optimized defrag on AusDiskDefrag, set to move system and program files to the front of the drive.
    7: I then proceed to install AVG Free 2012, bare minimum installation, no anti spy, no toolbars, no email, no web search etc
    8: Next comes Spybot Search and Destroy and Malware Bytes and Spyware Blaster. I run both of those afterwards, and then defrag again. "so far so good" I move on:
    9: Next come all of my art programs, ranging from blender all the way up to photoshop and lots of stuff in between.
    10: I install Steam, and begin downloading my games or restoring them from backups, whichever is called for/whatever ones I want to install.
    11: AbiWord, FoxIt PDF reader, destroy twitter 2, and many other apps, getting more and more obscure now.

Once I've done all that, I defrag again, and do my first AVG scan. Auslogics is a lot faster than most, but keeping up with it ensures that for me.

Now I just keep up with scanning once in a while with the aforementioned tools. I can usually go without nuking windows about a year at a time now, for the last 5 years. =)

14. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    ^
    Is AVG worth it? I've seen reviews about AVG slowing down your computer system so I'm kind of getting second thoughts on whether I'll get it or I'll choose another antivirus that doesn't take up a lot of cpu usage.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually install Chrome, Flashget, Winrar, and AVG anti virus when my pc gets reformatted or when I buy a new one.

16. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    At least these are needed...

-Firefox
    -Adobe
    -Some kind of antivirus/firewall
    -Winamp
    -Spotify
    -IrfanView

17. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    There is a lot of programs I need on my laptop if I restore it or get an new one. The two browsers I need is Google Chrome and Firefox. Then I download Skype and Oovoo for video chatting. Next it would be winrar so I can open zip files when I download something. Next would be palringo because I do business on there all the time.

18. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    My first programs

The first few programs would be the usual ones: McAfee, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, Bing, Skype and Adobe. Those would update themselves along the way, and then I would download additional programs as needed. These additions include Google Doc, Google Drive, translation tools, new apps that sync with online apps, like Pinterest, Readability, as well as other tools for teaching and learning, like Illustrator, Corel Draw, Sketch Up, Sketch Fab, and file viewers. And then games.

#38Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I logically know that other people also use Fl Studio, but to actually find people on forums that I post on who also use Fl Studio, without having joined a music production forum specifically? It is cool lol. I will install Fl studio as one of my main priorities also. Chrome, Firefox, Flash, Windows updates, and all of the other software that you cannot avoid downloading if you want your computer to perform to its absolute best. Also, I'll install Office. I have had to wipe my computer a few times now, and I have always backed up Office, so that I could re-install it as one of the first softwares on my clean laptop.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The first program I install. Deep Freeze. This comes first so that my computer will stay clean forever.

After that:

Firefox > K-Meleon > VLC and another Media Player > a PDF reader.

After that I can add to the programs only when the need to use them arises.