Fitted sheets or not?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Oct 26, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I buy sheets I always choose flat sheets as they are more versatile and can be used as a top and base layer. I have some fitted sheets which seem a good idea but I always seem to battling one edge not getting the elastic over the edge and even though it may be quicker than tucking in corners. Also they are harder to fold neatly snd yo store.

Do you use both or favor one? I am not the best bed maker and would fail as a chamber maid, but friends say it can be amusing to watch me.

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of people using flat sheets as the bottom sheet, but I've never tried it. It is something that I should truly consider since I have a California Queen and it took awhile to find the fitted sheets for them, but once I did find a vendor, I just went back to the norm in ordering my sheets.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Fitted sheets need to be adjusted all of the time so I can see why you want a flat sheet. I just buy both at Walmart because they are only $5 there. I sometimes save up my gift cards and then get some free sheets.

4. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    How funny. I only use the fitted and not the flat sheet. I don't know why. I just like the feeling of a blanket over me rather than a sheet. Now fitted sheets are a pain to fold so I usually just ball them up, but really if anyone is going into my linen closet checking out my sheet folding abilities they are getting way too much up in my personal space, IMHO.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha ha, no, it's me! I like folded sheets and towels and for them to be stacked in size and color order. I end up putting a bed set together with a fitted sheet into a pillowcase so I can't see it, then it also keeps a bedset together too.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use both the flat and fitted sheet. In my mind, they are a set. Using a flat sheet on the bottom seems like too much work.

7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I have used flat sheets as a base -- but only when my fitted sheets are being cleaned. I hate doing it because the flat sheets do not stay stationary and always seem to come untucked and will slide about on the bed and often expose the mattress while I sleep -- which is uncomfortable and scratchy against my skin... no needless to say I always avoid doing this if I can.

8. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    It is common practice in my country to use flat sheets for both the top and bottom. But, I personally prefer using a fitted sheet and a flat sheet, although this is not always possible. Fitted sheets are hard to find here and I cannot use any of the imported ones because our mattresses here are bigger than they are in other countries. I agree that flat sheets are very versatile. If they are long enough, I don't mind them because I can tuck them under the mattress and they will stay in place.

9. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    At home I have fitted sheets. I actually find these much easier. My mum struggles with them though. I used to work in a nursing home for the elderly and bed making was one of my jobs. I learned how to do proper nurses corners on the sheets there and turn the bed down properly.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too, I just use the complete sheet set. I don't really mind the fitted sheets because my mattress isn't that big, so it's not that hard to tuck everything in.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have always had sheet sets with a flat and a fitted sheet. It has never occurred to me to use any other kind of combination on a regular basis. I've just never had to think about it really, though I've known people who had odd sheets and just used whatever was available. I suppose if you plain sheets with no pattern or coloring it wouldn't really matter, especially if they were shared by a family.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fitted sheets for sure. I never buy flat sheets, ever. First of all because fitted sheets are so much easier to use. Second because I have a box bed and flat sheets don't work because I can't stick them under the mattress, as it's stuck on the box. The only good thing about flat sheets for me is that they are usually easier to fold, but I much prefer them to be harder to fold and easier to put on the bed.

13. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I tend to always buy sheet sets and they come with both the fitted and the flat. I really hate fitted sheets though. It's like you said in that I'm always battling to get them on. What's really bad though is that since my bed is against the wall it's even harder to make them go on. I should just stop buying them all together but when I see these sets that I like I'm just overly tempted and find myself giving in every time LOL