Fix It Pro Repair Pen for car scratches

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by trishgl • Mar 2, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    We have all seen the informecials and have all been tempted to buy it but does it work? According to the infomercials it repairs car paint scratches on contact just run the applicator pen over it and the scratch disappears. I finally caved and bought one but it only repaired really light scratches. As for deeper scratches it won't improve its appearance at all. How was you experience with this product?

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have been wondering about this product and how good it actually did work. Thank you for the review now I know that its not worth investment in buying one. I always thought this pen was based on some chemical in the pen that caused the paint on the car to soften then merge together. Maybe if this is indeed the case maybe using the pen more then once on a deeper scratch would work effectively. Do the instructions say anything to that respect about maybe having to use more then one application.

3. elenaboss79

elenaboss79New Member

Threads:
    Agree with trishgl only light ones are gone. For rest I need professional help. Money wasted if you need more than just light touch.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I had thought about buying one but after doing some research online, decided it wasn't going to be what I needed after all. I have heard lots of other people say that they only work on minor scratches and that they do not work as well as the commercial leads you to believe.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I know many people who have bought them online (for a very cheap price compared to the ones in the infomercials) and they all said it doesn't work, at least not for noticeable scratches.

6. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    These repair pens have been out for years. I've used them before (maybe five years ago) and never took to them. I doubt they have improved much, either. The thing is with paint, you've to get the color code spot on, or whatever you do put on will stick out like a sore thumb. Those paint pens hardly get the color right at all. They are just a cheap alternative to getting the job done properly.

7. chrislyons88

chrislyons88New Member

Threads:
    Woot WOOT. I want that repair pen, looks like it would work well. I mean it's not a bad idea to try out, if it doesn't work throw it away. Who cares.

sure they are quick fixes, but I mean some scratches are small enough the pen might work. My friend used one for his car, a smaller scratch not a big deal. I mean if you point it out you can notice it, but at a glance you don't notice anything.

It just comes down to where your priorities are!

8. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I think they will work even less these days with car colors being more varied and the use of not-so-standard finishes. If you've got an older vehicle, it might be worth a try. Plus, I would search online for better results on deeper scratches. I'm sure some people have documented how they get the pens to work on more noticeable scratches. I wouldn't throw it out if it works on lighter scratches, though.

9. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    The biggest thing they need to do is define 'scratches'. If a mark goes deeper than the color in the paint - if you can see metal - it won't do a thing for you. The other thing they don't mention is that you can get a better 'scratch filler' pen at WalMart for less money that works better. Essentially the pen has clearcoat (or maybe nail polish!) in it, so it's basically filling the area with a little clear sealer. It doesn't help gouges, scrapes, etc...

10. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wanted to get this but I notice on the commercial that the scratches were really light and small so I decided not to get it cause I didn't think it's work

11. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    I also bought one and indeed those light scratches were visibly gone.

Deep scratches on the other hand can not be penetrated by this pen. It just tends to make a coating out of the color of the paint but the deepness of the scratch is still obvious. I guess sanding and repainting is still the best for deep scratches.

12. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    My dad has one and basically it didn't work. Wish I had read reviews and let him know before he went and bought it. I think it's only for really light scratches that are not easily visible.

13. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of figured that this product was "too good to be true." Thanks for the heads-up about it.

14. maria1

maria1New Member

Threads:
    For me, this product is not quality, I bought it and did nothing.
    All the other scratches on the car, nothing is covered.

It's just a waste of money ...

It is better to give the money to go and polish the car and you have no worries that these other scratches, and thus even greater ruin.

15. deerng27

deerng27New Member

Threads:
    The pen only works on minor scratches. On bigger scratches it appears as if you coated the scratch with gloss. The pen is colorless meaning when you apply it to a scratch it only mimics the color of your car on the scratch. That is why the pen appears to work on smaller scratches since it is smaller. I personally was not impressed by this product, i rather paint the scratch with some nail polish.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wasn't expecting this to fill in deep scratches (how would a pen be able to match every car color out there in the first place?), but if it helps seal up the clear coat I suppose that could help prevent the area from getting rusted down the road. It seems like it would be useful for sealing up clear coat scratches, but I would also be worried about it leaving a noticeable clear paint mark over the scratch area.

17. Dharma

DharmaBanned

Threads:
    I was wondering as well. Looks like a pretty neat idea.

18. Meowmie

MeowmieMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I have never owned this, but I did see an interview with one of the guys that was a spokesman for this product. He said the audience were all paid. Actors. If the scratches accidently got to deep, they would take the car out and put another identical car in it's place. Filming that short advertisement took a long time because the camera was constantly cut, even the scratches where the product kind of worked on, they polished it a lot longer than they showed.

My recommendation? If you have light scratches that this product might actually improve- get a can of 'bar keepers friend" it's a lot cheaper and it does the same things. It is an extremely fine scouring powder that can be used on stainless steel, cookware, and yes, I've used it on a car.

And since you can get it at your local store, you can buy only one and not pay double, extremely inflated shipping and handling.

19. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I would need it in giant size for me. Last summer my kids dragged there bikes between my husbands and my car all summer and I never noticed because it was on my passenger side but they left horrible markes all down the side of my car. I could really use a product like this only it would need to be more of a paint roller type pen I think.

20. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered how well this worked, of course you can never trust the advertisements but usually they have *some* effect.
    After reading all the testimonies here, especially Meowmie's, it's clear it doesn't work at all, or at the most it barely does.
    Makes it an easy decision to stay away from it...