Fix Old Or Buy New?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by FenWoFon • Apr 8, 2016.

1. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    This is something that many of us have done before, fix old stuff such as keyboards, PC's mice and other stuff we might use at home, at least that's what I do in my country because buying new is 1000 times more expensive than fixing stuff by ourselves or by technicians, what do you do in this case? Buy new or fix what you already have?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a principle which I always stand buy.

Never buy anything new if what you have can be repaired or upgraded.

Before buying one should always weigh the costs of repair vs what will it will cost to buy a new PC. If you are spending less than 20% of what a new PC will cost and you'll be able to use it for a long time then getting the repair would be the better choice.

However if the repair is costly or if there's a remote possibility that you'll be spending more money on repairs in the near future, buying a new PC would in the long run save you more money.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I would consider repairing an electronic item before purchasing new. In some cases the damage can be so extensive that the cost to repair it is comparable to the cost of replacing it. I know very little about repairing electronics, so I would rely on taking it to a repair technician to be repaired, which would cost more for the repair than doing it myself. With the cost of many electronics coming down, replacing them is usually what we end up doing if they end up broken.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We're not in the habit of throwing things away and replacing them straight away. My husband always tries to have a go at repairing things himself before we throw the towel in. If it's a big electronic device, then we'll seek a second opinion. If repairing it means it'll cost about the same as getting a replacement or more, then we buy a new one instead of going down the repairing it route. We also live in a country where things are very expensive because we import everything, nothing's made here :(

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm of the same mind as everyone else, but it's less to do with saving money and more to do with where these elctronics end up. I know what to do with mine these days, but most people trash them not keeping in mind most of the item will still be here long after we're not. I also don't bother myself with upgrades and newer and shinier versions of the same things.. if it can be fixed, it should.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do compare the cost of the repair with the cost of replacement of the item. if there is still value in the item I will repair it. Sometimes I just want a new one and will go ahead and make the investment. Another way I control my spending is to value something by how many hours I have to work to pay for it and if I want to work that much extra.

7. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    My son dribbled into my iPhone and it broke but I hated the thing. I could have taken it in to have it repaired but instead, I bought a cheap-ish android to use until my contract runs out. Usually, though, it depends on cost. It would be silly to throw money away when what needs fixing would cost a fraction of the price of brand new (unless, of course, you want new).

8. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    That is exactly what I do all the time with my stuff, there is no reason to buy new and also, my country's situation is oblying people to do that and well, we gotta do it anyway.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For me it just depends on the product itself and on my situation at that particular point in time. If I have more money during that time, for example, I'd be more willing to consider just buying a new replacement, but even then I'd also still weigh the pros and cons as much as I can. If the item itself will still give me years of service after getting it repaired then I'd definitely say it's worth it. However if the cost for repair is too much then I'd favor just buying a new one instead.

10. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I understand your poing about if it is gonna last a little bit longer right after you fix it, it all depends on how good the technicians that are going to fix it are, because you know there are a lot of bad technicians all around the world and you never know when your item is going to get finished off in hands of one of those guys, in that case I would definitely consider buying something new instead.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what needs to be fixed. If it's just a small damage or malfunction, something that can be remedied, then I'd have it fixed by capable technicians. However, if the unit or item is already on the verge of ruin - meaning I need to buy a costly core spare part to restore it to its old condition - then I'd rather buy something new. I mean, if the cost of repairing a broken item isn't too far off from the cost of buying it brand new, obviously the latter option is far more practical.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the keyboard of our home computer gave up last year, my husband was trying to fix it. First, he submerged in soapy water to remove dirt then dried it. But some keys seemed stuck internally and he was having a hard time. I bought a cheap wireless keyboard for only $5. He was kind of surprised but was glad of the new keyboard. And since it's cheap, it's okay if it lasts for only a year. Now it is more than a year and it's still working.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Very true. We do have a lot of good technicians here though but the main problem is sometimes the lack of parts since usually the tech we give them are old which is why they are broken. Sometimes we are worried that the technicians might be a little dishonest too and they might end up taking some of our original parts and replacing them with cheaper ones. That's why we tend to mostly only trust technicians we've bad experience with already so that way we have a reference of how trustworthy they are and how skilled they are.

14. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I agree with you. It also depends on whether the item is worth getting fixed. Sometimes it's best to just buy new and not go through the worry on how long with the repair will last. When you buy new, there is a warranty period that gives you an edge if something goes wrong, it can be fixed for free. You can even buy something that is used and reconditioned that comes with a decent warranty.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yeah and there is also that satisfaction and enjoyment factor of getting to use something new. I think sometimes brand new items get a bad rap unnecessarily because second hand or refurbished items are automatically considered to be the cheaper option but considering the risk sometimes it's much safer to just buy something brand new and be assured of how long the product will last and this is especially more appealing to me when the price is low enough that it rivals the refurbished counterparts.

16. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I knew a few people who make pretty good money refurbishing computers but they're constantly coming-out with new and improved technology so computers and other electronic devices are always upgrading. It's hard to stay up-to-date on them.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If possible, I will always fix what is broken rather than buying new, although a lot of the time I don't have the skills to do this. So if I am unable to fix anything I will buy something new. But I will always try to save money if I can, and will do whichever option it takes in order to be able to spend the least amount of money possible. So I will fix when I can, but unfortunately that isn't always possible.

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on a tight budget, so for now, I've been working on what I have, with an eye toward replacement in the future. I have fixed my computers in the past. When I get stuck, I'll call a friend for advice, or have occasionally let a close friend access my computer remotely, which I would only do with a very trusted person, and one I knew had the skills to discern the issue and repair it, or at least advise me appropriately.

I think if you're starting off with a product that has been built with quality parts, there's a better chance it will withstand the test of time and be able to be repaired, so I try to invest in quality products. I have no familiarity with working on cell phones or tablets, so as far as those are concerned, I'd probably sell it as broken/for parts, and move on with a new one when I could afford to replace it.

19. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    If I can repair it myself that would be my first choice. YouTube has so many videos where you can determined if you are able to do it yourself. Secondly as long as there are free estimates on repairs that is my next choice but only if the item isn't too old. If I had to replace an item it wouldn't be *brand new* but maybe on clearance or scratch and dent sale. Of course there are some things that have to be replaced new like water heaters, furnace or air condition units purely for function and safety reasons.

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally, since I am neither handy or techy I will opt to buy something rather than get an old one fixed However, when my oven broke it was much less expensive to get it fixed. My computer was only 39 dollars the last time it broke so that was helpful. My roomie is both mechanical and techy so he can help with some things. I am certain he has saved me big bucks by fixing things around here.