Fix Old Or Buy New?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by FenWoFon • Apr 8, 2016.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ke is so lucky to have a pal like that who is very tech savvy and mechanical, but for the rest of us it depends on what's broken. If my sewing machine is broken I'll get it fixed for it's way cheaper to fix a sewing machine than buy a new one. The rest of the stuff like a toaster, well I'll get a new toaster for it's cheaper to buy than repair a toaster. Computer things I'll get an estimate, for I'm not tech savvy anything, then I'll decide after I get an estimate of fixing it or buying a new one. Television, well it's cheaper to buy a new one than repairing it so I'll buy a new television. So depending on the item that needs to be repaired or replaced I'll go accordingly with my budget and the gadget that needs attention.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably try and get it fixed first either by myself or a technician. When my iPhone broke just recently, I was ready to shell out a few bucks for a new phone. But I tried reviving it and despite my efforts, it still won't open for a day. But I still continued, and luckily, after a few hard resets, it opened again and became functional.

The same thing happened to my tablet, it won't connect to the internet. I thought it was already broken but I searched online for what to do. I tried different methods but they won't work. Finally, I tried factory resetting it, and voila! Problem fixed! Now, it's working as smoothly as we first bought it.

But if the screen is cracked, like what happened with my iPod Touch, I would rather replace it. The same goes for our laptops that has damages in the motherboard already, we had to replace it. So it depends on the severity of the case and whether it can be reversed.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally like fixing electronic items myself, so I certainly will research how to fix it or hand it over to ta technician before I replace it. So far, I only know of changing the flex and LCD of a cellphone, and I would like to learn more though, like fixing a PC, since I have another PC right now and it's broken. I have already had it fixed, but after 2 months it broke down again, so I would like to learn how to fix it myself so that I save money and be able to use it.

4. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    Well, let me tell you that fixing PCs is way easier than fixing phones, you should try it by yourself someday, remember not to use your current PC, use another one or a broken one you could finish off.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always been more inclined to buy new rather than fix the old. But then again, that is not to say that I never fix the old PC up, or that I won't do so in the future. Money is definitely a factor in it. Do I have the money to buy a new one? Or do I only have enough money to fix the pc myself? On top of that, sometimes the price to fix something or just buy a new one are so close that the best option is just buying a new one.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @FenWoFon@FenWoFon, I guess so, but I'm afraid to mess up the hardware or OS, since I wiped out the OS of my Windows Vista PC when I blindly followed the instructions on Google on how to fix my problem. It's still not fixed until now. So I'm wary now of fixing it myself. Do you happen to know how to solve the issue where your monitor has no signal and the PC won't boot? That's the issue of my 2nd PC, all desktops.

7. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    Well, sincerelly when it comes to fix and I use YouTube as a tool I always try to watch as many videos as I can in order to make sure that is the way I have to do it, however sometimes I just watch one or two videos when I feel sure of what I am about to do, hmm I used to have some problems with Vista back in the years as well and all I did was format the whole PC and install Win 7, does your pc get stuck after showing the Loading windows screen?

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @FenWoFon@FenWoFon, The PC that won't boot doesn't even go to that stage, the monitor's light just turns to orange since it doesn't get any signal from the CPU. A technician fixed it already but it repeated the same problem again after 2 months. He just opened the case and did some tests ad the PC was running fine again.

The other PC where I accidentally wiped out my OS, the partition doesn't want to be divided, so I can't reformat it. Maybe you can help me solve this? Thank you very much for your help!

9. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    You could try to remove the RAM memory and cleanthe socket, do not use any kind of object, just try to blow it lightly and then place the ram back, or you can clean the ram's connector with some cotton stick, try it andthen turn the PC on and see what happens.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I have done that already, I use an eraser to clean the RAM but it still won't boot. It did work on the other PC though (the one where the OS got wiped out) and it will boot afterwards when I do that. The technician spent some time, like an hour fixing the PC, so I guess he didn't just clean the RAM. Thanks for the tip though.

11. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Always fix (If you can) and take care of your stuff. Perhaps your belongings would be a valuable asset for collectors in the future. Also you contribute to lighten a little the global electronic devices's demand for coltan, that is in most cases extracted by child slave labour.

In my opinion, Upgrading is always something that must be done as long as you have good reasons to buy new hardware or electronic devices. A good reason is that your outdated stuff are no longer able to satisfy all your needs, or if they are just accumulated too much depreciation to justify a revamp or Overhaul instead of buying a new one .

12. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    It would depend on the item if it can be fixed or not. There are some products than once fixed won't work the way it used to or it was fixed but doesn't look the way it used to. Often, stores would give out promos to lure in potential buyers but these products would sometimes be reconditioned and have already been opened. Consumers should really be careful so as not to have their hard earned money wasted.

13. TheOptical

TheOpticalNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on your skill level, really. If you think that you are capable of fixing and old gadget, and the parts are cheap enough, then buy old! Many forums and blogs should be able to help out with fixing. If you know about reddit then you know that there is a sub for ANYTHING.

Otherwise, buy new. If you do a little extra searching around and use coupons then you should be able to buy new at the price of old.

14. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    It all goes down to what the product and your convenience. Most Apple products have a very expensive Repair. An iPhone 4S costs around 150USD in India and getting the screen replaced would cost around 200 USD- 250USD. In this case, we don't get things repaired. But as it was my first phone and a gift from my Grandfather I got it done even though I never use it. I have kept it as a Souvenir. But most local products have a third-party spare part available that you can do yourself or get it done for cheap. It all goes down to your convenience. Good Luck.