Fixing A Computer Alone Vs Hiring Help

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jason76 • Oct 14, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

As with the above thread on fixing your vehicle vs hiring help, the pros and cons seem to be the same. Well, in my case, I don't really know how to tear apart a computer and build it back, but I can do everything short of it. For instance, if some slight problem comes up with malware then I know how to stop it without calling on someone.

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think the law of the universe works as follows: If you do not understand the issue in question, seek the help of those who really can solve the problem. In the vast majority of the time, trying to solve what you don't know ends up making it worse.

3. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Well unless you have decent experience fixing computers you should not do it yourself since damaging your laptop will be worse.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I really wish that I knew a lot more about computers and had the confidence in myself to do the little fixes here and there. I would probably still want to trust someone experienced with anything large, but it could save qutie a bit to know a little more.

5. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    It's good to have a little understanding of how things work so you can at the least know how to work things out on your own. Seeking technical help is not always free and even a friend can't tolerate as much, but if the damage is really worst then I'll definitely hire a professional help and technical expertise for that matter.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I tried troubleshooting my PC when the OS got corrupted, and I found out that even if the problem that I'm experiencing matched the solution, it still did not solve the problem, and I ended up making the problem more worse and made the disk click, which now suggested that the hard disk needs to be replaced. If only I spent money to consut a technician then the PC would have been properly fixed and the hard drive would still be intact.

7. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    If you have good knowledge about the hardware and software that you can put it back the way it was even if something goes wrong then you can make an attempt to fix it without making it worse. Otherwise, it is always better to call someone for help and get things done using a professional. :)

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is my present predicament because the system disk of my home desktop crashed the other day. And since I have a spare disk and an installer CD of the operating system, I tried it myself. But before doing that, I called on the repair center near here for an estimate and the quoted $18 is way too much. The cost had motivated me to do it myself and fortunately, it is up and running after 2 days although I still have to recover some files from the archive disk. And it’s not just the money saved that is the benefit but also the feeling of accomplishment.

9. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely call a qualified technician for any type of electronic gadgets. For one, you void any form of warranty on that device and two, any form of diy can make things worse.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't have a clue when it comes taking a computer apart but I have sometimes thought I needed a technician because my pc had gone wrong and then found out it was something simple I could fix myself through running programmes.

My computer is old and the other day I really thought I would have to call someone because it was so slow I could hardly work on it. I ran a programme which pinpointed a few problems and I was able to fix it myself.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know much about computer hardware, however, I once tried to fix my laptop. The laptop's hard disk had crashed and a new hard disk had to be installed. Instead of inviting someone to replace my hard disk, I unscrewed my laptop and replaced my hard disk. After the installation of new hard disk, I installed operated system. Now I encountered a problem, I did not know how to partition the disk. I had to hire a technician finally.

12. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I have never tried to fix my computer alone. I don't want to risk the computer by fixing by computer myself. I don't have enough knowledge how to fix a computer. My cousin is good at fixing computers. I will have to learn the basics from him and try to fix my computer sometime in his presence. Normally, I pay an expert computer technician to fix my computer. The charges of the computer technician to fix the computer is less here than compared to other countries. It is a safe option and I can relax with my computer getting fixed.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know nothing much about hardware part of the computers but I can fix the software related issues. I have not yet tried doing anything hardware related in my desktop (I rarely use it) and I always exchange (Buyback) my laptop after 2-3 years. I think it's better to exchange your old stuff after some time which is more economical compared to spending on repairs and batteries etc.

14. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

I would have been more than willing to fix my own computer if I knew how. It would have also save on costs. I thinking seeking help is better because the device needs to be handled by experts.

At my place, you can't trust people who fix computers because some can make sure to make it work for only one week so you can go back to them for another repair. If you can replace it then you should. :D

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Even I don't know more about hardware, but I can solve many software related problem. Though sometimes I had tried some stuff with hardware too and luckily they worked too. So yes I can do few things by my self. If I am not capable of solving something then I ask for help. For small fixes I can do it my self and save money.

16. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    I do use a computer, but if it's already an out of hand issue then I really need some help. I don't know anything about fixing a hardware or anything beyond my average knowledge about computers. Maybe if I have pursued my IT course, then it'll be free of charge.

17. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    If the problem is what I can handle and get resolved on my own without needing anyone's help, I would definitely be going at it alone because I don't see the need/reason for getting help over what I'm certain that I can take care of.

But if it's something that is more of technical fault, something which I'm quite sure that I have no knowledge whatsoever in handling it, I would definitely be getting a professional assistance for such task.

18. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    If I can fix the problem with just some tweaks on the software of the computer then I will just google and download some files. I also do some reinserting of some plugins behind the computer and in the monitor. When it comes to the inside parts of the computer such as memory and processors I think it would be best for me and for the computer to seek professional help. I am afraid to touch and maybe damage some sensitive parts inside.