Flea Control

Discussion in Pets started by shanetx1969 • Jun 9, 2015.

1. shanetx1969

shanetx1969New Member

Threads:
    This is the first summer in a very long time that I can remember having problems with fleas. This if very frustrating because my 17 year old dog has enough health issues without having to deal with fleas. Would it best to get treatment from my local vet, or over the counter products? Thanks in advance.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is easier to rid the pets of fleas than ticks because ticks multiply at a rapid pace. With fleas, what we do is to fumigate the entire house including the exterior. We use the ordinary insect spray although everyone, including the pets, leave the house for 4 hours for the odor to dissipate. That will do the job - no more fleas.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I went to my local vet once because of the same problem but he just told me that I will not get rid of all the fleas if I will not fumigate the whole area. I buy some products in my local vet but I don't buy over the counter products just to make sure.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a big problem in Texas this year, because of the mild Winter. You can get a good topical treatment from your vet or a pet or feed store. I get them at the local feed store, and sometimes it's cheaper than the others. Buying online is also often cheaper, and I usually get them at Doctors Foster and Smith. I don't know what size your dog is, but here's an example of their prices for extra large dog flea treatments. There are also treatments that include heartworm, so that's something else to consider.