Flip Flops

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Jun 18, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you wear flip flops? Do you just buy the cheap ones or do you spend more for the fancier ones? My kids used to buy the cheap ones, so they could grab a pair in every color. The problem is that the cheap ones don't hold up as well as they used to. They seem to break, almost immediately.

The little "plug" comes out of the hole for the top of the strap. The hole always seems to be too big, and it wears through quickly. My daughter had a pair that didn't even last one day.

There is a money saving trick for

. Just use a square, plastic bread clip around the "plug" to keep it from sliding through the hole.

2. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I do have a few pairs of flip flops here and there, but don't really wear them or have any interest in further buying any. I usually wear them when I'm around my house or when I go to the beach, but that pretty much ends there.
    Also, thanks for that DYI website. It would help if I needed some. Bookmarked. :)

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No problem. I hope it comes in handy for some.

I don't really wear flip flops any more myself. I just know a lot of young people who do. These old feet need a little more support than that. I also don't really like the thing between the toes. I wore them in the day for beach wear, but I never was that into them. I'm kind of surprised that they are still so popular.

I'll have to dig up a site for decorating them. The girls seem to like to dress them up with embellishments to go with their outfits.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of those toe posts either - they are so irritating. That's a great hack though and I'l be passing it on to several friends who always complain about the strap coming free.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd rather go cheap than spend a hundred bucks for a fancy looking pair. If people can afford to buy Brazilian-made flip flops (which are mostly expensive, mind you), then they should. I just don't think it's reasonable to dish out so much money to purchase flip flops because they're not really versatile. You can't just wear them anywhere, especially at formal and semi-formal events or gatherings.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m not a huge fan of flip flops, I only wear them as far as my driveway. But that’s a really handy tip indeed. Flip flops are super popular around here, so I’m sure I know plenty of people who could benefit from that trick. I’ll pass it along as well.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like flip flops but never will buy an expensive pair. They serve the same purpose after all and since mine don't get used that much [they're worn only when I'm outside for a little while] they never get worn out fast. So a cheap pair could last more than a year and a half. Good tip though, Zyni, can come in handy some day.

8. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I never used flip flops, it's something I don't feel comfortable with, never got accustomed with it. Strangely enough both my kids and wife wear them all the time, but we never buy expensive pairs. Why would we? There are good quality ones fairly cheap.

9. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to buying flip flops I usually get mine at Hollister. They are my favorite and the hold up really well. Yes, I don't like spending $12 on a pair, but at least I know that they will hold up for a long time. When I'm not wearing those though, I have Birkenstocks that I love. I don't always like having flip flops because they can hurt, and they don't always have the best support for the bottom of your feet. Overall, I would rather just bite the bullet and get the ones that are more expensive because then I know they will last a long time.

10. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I think too, both when buying flip flops or any sort of footwear. Many times buying cheaper footwear will just cost much because they will last a lot least time. We need to be smart and investing in something a little more durable.

11. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I live on a tropical island. Flip-flops are a must here. LOLOLOLOL

I do like the inexpensive kind because of the different colors. I get them when they're on sale. I also get the decorative kind (with decorative straps or double straps, etc). But for the beach? you definitely prefer the foam kind just in case you lose one. LOL

12. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Where do you live btw newmommmy? How I envy what you said, but yes, living in a tropical island I imagine that the official footwear has to be flip flops or sandals. I wish one day I could live in such a location and wear that to work. :)

13. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I have a few pairs of flip flops from old navy and target that have held up well over the years. I've actually found that the more expensive pairs I've bought have worn out more quickly. I'm more inclined to wear my Birkenstocks than my flip flops, especially at the beach. Flip flops are just sand catapults there!

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear flip flops around the house or a quick trip out in the yard but not something I spend alot of money on. We use them as shower shoes when we go to the pool also.

15. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's the only situation when flip flops are my main footwear, when going to the swimming pool. Even when I go to the beach I prefer to wear sandals, they are more practical and don't get out of my feet so easily.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am guilty of wearing flip flops maybe more than I should... I will use them always if I'm home, walking my dog and if I'm home and need a quick trip to the supermarket or drugstore. But I have before worn them to go to a mall or restaurant... I don't think they are appropriate for that, but they are very comfy.
    I have a pair of generic ones that were dirty cheap and some "fancier" Havaianas. I recommend Havaianas, they have adorable prints and look nice.

17. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I certainly don't think it's inappropriate to wear flip flops to the mall or a casual restaurant. If it's a fancy place then it would be. I guess it also depends on the style of flip flop too.

Anyone remember the story about the women's lacrosse team that wore flip flops to the White House? That was inappropriate.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fan of flip flops as I suffer from back pain and flip flops don't exactly improve the pain. I tend to feel tension in my heels and knees if I wear them around the house. So, I rather prefer to walk barefoot or put on a pair of socks. It's the same when I go to the beach. Only there I wear sandals if the sand is too hot.

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like flip flops because of the toe "trapper". It hurts your toe easily after a while. They also tend to look cheaper or are made of cheap material. I do have a few because I like sparkles but obviously can't stand to wear them much because of the toe thing.
    I'm not a fan of shoes/clothes in general but as far as shoes goes I'm a sandal girl. I love the summer and they are good summer shoes. If you get the right pair, though they are not really good walking shoes you can walk them in a while without it hurting.

20. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That's the main reason why I don't wear flip flops more often, it annoys me to have something stuck between my toes. I know most people don't even feel it, but I never got accustomed to it and I am better off with sandals.