Flowers are they really a good gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 12, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    There are few situations where flowers are the only option for gift giving. In many cases flowers are a nice gift, but the receiver wants or needs something different. A friend of mine recently had a baby and received several things of flowers. What she really needed were things for the baby. For the price of a nice bouquet of flowers, you could go out for lunch or dinner with your mother on mother's day.

There is nothing wrong with flowers as a gift, and being able to send them when you live far away is fantastic, but are flowers really the best gift or are they your automatic go to gift?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say they're an automatic go when someone is in need of a gift. Instead of thinking what to gift many buy some flowers since it's an easy way out. Like you I agree that people should be more situational when gifting and instead of spending money on flowers they should buy a gift that the receiver can use (like it happened with your friend). If the person you're gifting to likes flowers, then by all means, buy the favorite kind.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think flowers are just "default" or go to gifts, especially if the recipient is female. I never really thought that flowers is a practical gift, with the exception of Valentines Day. I'd rather receive or give something tangible and can be used, and not something that wilts and is meant to be thrown away.

4. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Flowers are always good with chocolate. It really is a perfect gift for certain girls. Some think it's cheesy, others think it's not cheesy, some like the fact that it's cheesy.

In my opinion, giving flowers as a gift is a beautiful gesture and gentlemen should really know that girls respect it and find it very romantic.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Flowers are a great way of showing affection. It also depends on the person who you are offering the flowers to. There are those that do not love them while others crave for them. I think it is a great gift depending on the occasion that you are about to attend.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good question. If I give somebody flowers, I tend to give them to people in a pot of earth. Living plants instead of short lived, expensive and often odourless flowers. Of course there are occasions where a single rose can say so much. But in general, I like to give something useful, some gift that keeps on "giving".
    For a new mother and baby there are so many things that you could get that are probably a lot more appreciated than flowers.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the case of someone just having a baby, the best gift is definitely baby stuff, like diapers!! I would get really mad is I got a bunch of flowers when I gave birth!!
    But flowers are a nice gift, depending on the occasion. For mother's day for example it's great, as a thank you gift for someone who helped you with something and didn't request a payment, it's a great option! For example my mom is a vet, and she is always treating the neighborhood dogs without charging anything when the person doesn't have a lot of money. She received flowers as a thank you gift a couple times, I think it's very sweet to give flowers in those cases. Also when someone goes through surgery, or is in the hospital for some reason, it's just a thoughtful way to show they are in your thoughts.
    Now for a birthday present, Christmas, and stuff like that, I don't think flowers are the best option in most cases, it's nicer if you give the person something more durable that they can wear or use.

8. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I generally do not believe flowers are a good gift. At all. They require very little thought and while they are pretty, sometimes just thinking about what your giftee wants can give you better gift ideas in the long term. What show do they like? Buy them a box set. Are they fans of a comic? Get them memorabilia. These gifts are more memorable. On the short, yeah, you can get by with flowers, but think about the kinds of things you'd rather receive.