Foil or plastic wrap (cling film)?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Dec 3, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer foil to wrap or cover left over or to wrap a sandwich in, but some people prefer cling film. Now there are a couple of reasons, as foil I tend to reuse whenever I can or use it as a baking sheet and it's easier to tear and to use. I could create a comedy reel with my using cling film, as I either don't tear enough or so much it clings to itself and I have to unravel it and fail and have to bin it.

Which is more economical? I say foil, as I can recycle it!

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree with you, foil is my preference as well...I just don't like fussing with the annoying, sometimes overly clingy sandwich cling. Foil can be used when making meals as well and then it's even easier clean up, and yes, definitely better in terms of recycling as well. I'd say it's a win all around ;).

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd say investing in a lunchbox would probably be the best way to save money in the long term. Personally, I don't cling wrap, or any other kind of wrap. I just pack my food in serviettes and then put it into a PBA free plastic lunchbox. I've been using the same one for three years now. I can't remember the last time I bought cling wrap.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get those little ziplock bags. They are easy to use; and unless they have something really greasy in them, you can still re-use them once you rinse them out and dry them. I usually put the bag inside out over top of a plastic glass to let the bag dry overnight, and then turn it right side out to use it the next time I need it.
    I agree that aluminum foil is a lot more reusable than the cling wrap is, and for me the cling wrap is hard to get off of the roll in any case.
    I worked in a kitchen for a while, and they has a roll holder with a cutter that was made for cling wrap, and that worked great. We used iit on the large oven pans to cover them up for the cooler.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer foil because cling gets all twisted up and I have to cut a new sheet when that happens. I just want to hurry up and get my leftovers wrapped and in the fridge. I usually buy from the dollar tree to keep cost down. If you buy from the market then it is around $3 a roll.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use both foil and cling film, though I will use both of the for different types of foods. Other times I will just toss a plate lid over whatever I am trying to preserve, and then put it in the fridge. For cold foods, such as foods that was once hot and has cooled, or foods that are made cold and stay cold, I always use cling film and put it in the fridge. When it comes to hot food, I will always use foil. I am not quite sure why i do this. I guess I just learned this from my mother. If I wasn't sure that my mother wasn't going to try to ridicule me for asking - or for not knowing the difference - I'd ask her why.

7. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I am so lazy that I do not remove the food from the serving dish. Those are the time I use Saran Wrap. It will magically cling to he edges of the bowl. That seal will prevent air from getting to the leftover food. I do this throughout the week.
    I would prefer to remove the leftovers and place it in a glass container that has a glass lid. Yet I often place the leftovers in a plastic Glad bowl with its plastic lid.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to use either until the food is completely cooled off because I don't want either plastic chemicals or aluminum leaching into my food. In general I use little sandwich bags for a lot of things if they are not being stored in a plastic container. Foil I generally use for things that are being frozen or need more insulation. I don't really use a whole lot of foil because it rips so easily.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer cling wrap just because I'm uncomfortable with using foil for my sandwiches. It just doesn't seem like a good fit to me. I'd only use foil for baking or grilling but when it comes to wrapping up food I'm more comfortable with using cling wrap or even special sandwich bags which I prefer a lot more than either foil or cling.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Neither.. I use glass containers. HUGE money saver and no waste at all.. I feel much better using them than anything else. For baking I use parchment paper. Absolutely nothing sticks to it and it's also better for the environment. Lots of waste though.

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I typically use foil for warm foods, or foods which I intend to reheat. Clingwrap over a bowl of soup or anything else in a plate or bowl. For sandwiches and the like I typically use neither, a ziploc bag is my storage media of choice.

12. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the food also. Certain foods like a lasagna I would not proceed to wrap in plastic but rather loosely cover in aluminum. If it is something frozen and perishable I will wrap it in plastic film and not in aluminum. I would assume aluminum is more nature friendly since plastic is just so horribly bad in every way for the environment.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmmm. I'd never thought of this. That is very smart. Things tend to get broken in this house though. We have hard tile flooring in our kitchen, and there have been more than a few plates, cups, and bowls lost due to them being glass. People are clumsy, plus there are three children living here so they tend to drop and break stuff too. We do have plastic containers though. They came free with the Chinese takeout that we have ordered over the years, and we do use them. But I don't understand why we aren't using them instead of cling film and foil, as opposed to using all three.

14. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    You are probably right about foils being more economical than plastic wrappings. Plastic wrappings work well with me. I find them easier to use for a variety of dishes. But I do notice that I often had to double wrap or use the plastic wrapping excessively. When presented with different types of food, the recipes would have different suggestions for which wrappers to use, whether foil or plastic or a combination of both.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ziploc plastics are more economical to me. You can use them any number of times so long as they remain intact and are able to store food. However, I do use tin foil to wrap fancy dishes like lasagna, casserole, salads and cured sausage. If it's just an ordinary homemade sandwich, ziploc plastics will do. Tin foil feels greasy after the first wrap, so I try not to recycle it too often.

16. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I am a foil girl myself. I actually really hate cling wrap and thing it is a waste of money unless you want to invest in the really expensive kind. Cling wrap doesn't really seal the food as well as I like and I always seem to have the issue of it sticking to itself and tangling up before I can even tear it free of the container. I much prefer foil, especially considering I have the option to reuse it on occasion as long as what I was covering wasn't raw meat or eggs.

17. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The plastic wrap to me has a more of a nostalgia type feel for it. I remember getting my lunch and having to unwrap the sandwich and drool just coming out of my mouth. Now, I mostly use foil for pretty much everything but I can't help to pick up some plastic wrap for sandwiches.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to use foil as well, because it's what I was used to seeing when I was bringing food to school. And I also prefer it because it crumples easily and tightly compressed when I throw it away.

19. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer foil because that is what I have been using for a long time now. Also, I do not like the clingy plastic type because I tend to waste a lot when I use it. The plastic just sticks everywhere!

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer cling wrap. But I think the foil is easier to manage and to fold, unlike with the cling wrap that you'd really have to be careful. I don't use foil in small things, I use for larger ones and when I can't use the cling wrap like for steaming. If only I would have to microwave, I'd use the cling wrap because I can't use it with the foil. To sum it up, I'd use them depending on their use. But if I could use them both, I prefer to cut out a part of the cling wrap and use it.