Food and allergies

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Sep 17, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just started reading a book on allergies and one of the first comments was, cut the bread and the sugar. I haven't read through, but in fact this is something I eat a lot. Does this make any sense to you? Anyone with experience on this?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started eating cranberry as a snack as work, then in a few days my legs had a lot of little red dots!
    After a quick exam, i learned i'm allergic to salycillic acid, which is in cranberries and also aspirin! I cannot eat those anymore!

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes! My turning point was when I watched a movie that connected food to our health (or rather, lack of health). Most people only connect it to whether or not they get fat, but it's so much more. In fact, it's almost everything.

My son had an allergy that I won't get into, but we could barely escape it. It was ruining his life for most of the year. He was tested, they said nothing could be done, he would have to carry an epi pen and stay away from the trigger (practically impossible!) and that was that. When I had my light bulb moment and took the processed foods out of his diet.. especially breads, pastas etc etc, the allergy was gone. Gone gone.. he can face his trigger all he wants now, he's healthy and once again, doctors failed. They never look into food, which is never looking into the cause of SO many preventable illnesses. So so many. If ANYTHING is wrong with you, inside or out, big or small.. I'd consider diet first before anything else.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm allergic to shellfish and I'm fine with it because I honestly don't like the smell or taste of them anyway. I already think most of them feel like rubber when you're eating them and the fact that it makes me nauseous just adds more to my dislike of them. I sometimes am jealous of people when I see them enjoying shellfish but not so much because I like it but just because I want to enjoy it as much as they do.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm lucky because I don't have any allergies of food intolerances except my shellfish allergy. Sometimes I do wonder what happened to our generation when you hear of people with many food intolerances and allergies. I have a neighbour who seems to be intolerant to most foods, how she survives is beyond me.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What we eat, breathe and drink in fact makes a huge difference and it's shocking that doctors or so called doctors don't say anything about it. It's like the food industry and health industry just care about the profits and not about our health.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me it is not a matter of it is like the food and health industry just care about profits. That is a fact of our society, at this point. Literally, that is all they care about. They do not properly educate us about our bodies, so that we may use natural sources in order to sustain ourselves. They want us to shell out money for medications, which come with a crap load of side-effects, for which you will have to purchase more medication to deal with.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The old saying you are what you eat is something we must be aware of when we have food allergies. Most people do not realize they have an allergy until they get sick and it could be something as simple as not eating milk products, peanuts or wheat.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup.. it's absolutely ALL about profit. Just imagine you being head of a massive company.. billions are rolling in and it all depends, not on whether the product is good for the person buying it, but the company next door that's making similar products everyone wants. How are you going to outsell them and keep outselling them. If you make the product safer, they become less desirable.. so it's about making them more likeable and in this weird world we're now in, that means making them worse for the consumer. Besides.. your product is ok if they don't use it often and you can't babysit everyone, so you're justified, right? So your focus is on how to out sell the company next door.. let the consumer decide what's best for themselves, you're not their keeper (although, through addiction, you really are, lawl. BONUS!).

It's all about the money. That's all anything is about any more and everyone is putting their health in these people's hands because they hired someone to put a quick blurb on their packaging saying it's ok to do so.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Allergies and intolerances can develop as you get older as your body either rejects food because it has changed or your body can't cope with certain elements. I developed a lactose intolerance as I got older which was hereditary, but you can live with it once you know it and accept it. I am more aware and if something doesn't feel right listen to your body. Just because you have eaten something all your life, doesn't mean that you can't have an allergy.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Do you also think that it is a matter of the food or stuff that we put into our bodies on a daily basis is changing??? Because that is, without a doubt, a major factor of what is happening. Our food gets tampered with - genetically modified, in order to make foods bigger and more profitable - and we put that crap in our bodies. They will not even label GMO food, and started to sell it to us without our consent.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Basically we need to be pioneers to improve our life quality and we need to change our habits from a life-time, I am still getting that in my head.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A bit of both; the food has changed, the flour is more refined and there are more additives, yet also our bodies have changed by using medications our immune systems have become less resilient and also our eating habits have contributed to how our digestive system reacts, with constipation and other ailments.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    it's down to us to take the initiative, I have found. Also, with a lot of the food intolerances and allergies that people have these days, what may be be considered healthy for one, is not for others, so a lot of it is trial and error. It really is up to us. Our bodies usually tell us what is working and what is not in one way or another :)

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Until they pick up a greasy, cheese dripping burger and their serotonin level trumps it all lol. People do listen to their bodies. Their garbage laden, heavily addicted bodies. It's, sadly, just not that simple. There are healthy foods that will not sit well with the typical diet eater.. their body will say no. If they dropped the crap though, it would be tolerable and they'd come to like it. You can't truly judge a food until you're healthy. Most people aren't. No matter what they think.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, yes when you look at it from that angle, that creates another interesting viewpoint. I mean, when you put garbage in your body - smoking included - it kind of works out to where your body gives two responses. The immediate feel good response of getting the nicotine or the sugar, or whatever it is that it told you it was craving, and then the response an hour or half an hour later when you feel sick, or tired, or sluggish. Know what I mean??

I may have mentioned this before but the book Eat Right For Your Blood Type is a great book. The same kind of 'health,' that may wok for one person will not necessarily work for another person.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's like you never want me to see the light of day again. lmao... I have heard of that theory. Is there good science behind it? Outside of the book, I mean.

It still falls under the "listen to your body" thing. If one can push past the high of eating like crap and put healthy things into their bodies, they'll figure out the foods they can and can't eat. But there is no mistake.. eating healthy is THE healthy. And there is GREAT science behind that lol. How you tweak it from there is up to you and your body. And it WILL tell you.. whether it's your blood type, skin, bones, heart, fat, gut or brain doing the talking ;)

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I want you to lose your mind between the pages of all of these books ;) Lol!! There is good science behind the book, yes :) A lot of research went into it, and many people who began to assign the 'right' food for their blood type noted the benefits quickly, and ailments - allergies and whatnot - stopped plaguing them :) It's all well and good reading it, but putting what the book advises into practice is the hard part, I should imagine.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually is. Even for me? The food spaz? lol. You never know with our bodies and I LOVE that everyone has thought of so many different ways to try to figure us out. Love it. Because with every wrong, comes a right and we learn so much more. It's fascinating and I like to absorb every wrong and right I can so I can think for myself. I'm curious now, I'll definitely look into it.. maybe this morning. No useful daylight, -31c.. I'm staying in! lol.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I've learned that, but at the same time isn't it sad that society doesn't support us in the basic health questions? I mean, millions and millions of people suffer from this disease...