Food At Theaters

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by naruto100 • Apr 10, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Hello Guys..

These days food at theaters are getting really costly. Not only food even water bottle is getting sale in really high price at theater in compare to outside.

So I rarely eat at theaters. I don't want to spend unnecessary money for such high price. In that much I can have whole lunch outside. It is really frustrating , don't you think so?

For me I just used to save money by avoiding food inside theaters, instead of that I used to eat outside in restaurant if I want to. What you do? Do you save money by avoiding such kind of costly food or you won't mind it.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Since I rarely go to movies since the past 6 years, I wouldn't really know the cost at the moment. However, I am not suprised that things are getting costlier by the day.

For me, I am used to carrying my snacks everywhere I go. That is much economical to me. I always carry a water bottle too. So instead of wasting cash on food at theatre I rather enjoy quality food in bigger quantity along with the movie.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go to the movies I have to separate the money from the popcorn and soda. Even if I go to dinner later at some restaurant, I always have to eat popcorn with soda while I'm watching the movie.

I don't know if I'm already accustomed, but I always do this.

4. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady Water bottle is okay, but I don't think every theaters allow outside food with us inside theater. So we have not choice than either to skip food or buy from there. It is like forcing us to purchase which is wrong. Not only that once I have to purchase water bottle and I have to pay 60Rs (almost 1$) for it which is available out side in just 20 Rs. Since then I am always carrying water bottle with me whenever I got there.

#4Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that food sold in theaters are more expensive that’s why it has been our habit not to eat inside. But in times that it is meal time when we go to the cinema, we buy food outside and bring it along so we can eat while watching. Sometimes it’s even KFC chicken because they allow it. And theaters here have a slot in the arm rest for the drinks making it very convenient to eat.

6. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Here some theaters not allow outside food. We can buy anything from stores inside. But they are limited and costly for sure. Some theaters have stores like Dominoz and all so price for them are fixed at all places. But those theaters who don't allow outside food is kind of forcing us to purchase their food or stay hungry. So it is kind of irritating.

#6Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is an absolute fact. Since I was a kid, the foods that the theater canteen are selling are 25% or even higher than that sold outside the movie house. That practice has been there for a decade or even a century to exaggerate it.

So every time we go to the movie houses, we always have an extra money for our snacks while watching the movie to avoid a miss from the flow of the movie. Or otherwise, we bring along with us some foods to eat inside the theater in which the management is allowing it for the movie goers.

#7Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona Here the theater in our area don't allow outside food in it. Water bottle is okay but not more than that. So it is kind of forcing us to purchase their food or just be there without food. This is what more frustrating. They should at least allow outside food so that people can bring something by their own. The people who want to have anything from their market they can always purchase it. They shouldn't force it.

#8Apr 14, 2017
  9. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    The cinema near me is just amazing at this. The price for a small popcorn is just so high, I wonder how much profit they are making out of these sales. Because of that when I go to the cinema, I make sure to go to the supermarket nearby and buy all the stuff I want to eat. I usually just get a pack of M&Ms, a pack of sweet popcorn and a drink. All of that is probably around £3 whereas if I bought that from the cinema, it would probably be around £6-7

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I agree that the prices are quite high, but keep in mind that they are in business to make money. They make most of their profits from the concession stand. Since they don't make a ton of money off the tickets (and fewer people are going to movies since it's so easy and affordable to watch movies at home these days), they have to make money somehow. They they can't stay in business if they don't turn a profit.

They aren't really forcing anything. We can choose to eat something before we go, or after. A typical movie only lasts for about an hour and a half, so we won't starve in that length of time. ;)

Sure, it's nice to have popcorn and stuff, but it certainly isn't necessary. We just have to decide what's more important, having snacks or saving money.

#10Apr 14, 2017
  11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Buying popcorn and drinks when we go to a theater seems to be something that we do without even thinking twice. We rarely go to the cinema to watch a movie so it doesn't hurt much to buy these stuff on those rare occasions. Actually, ticket prices are grossly overpriced as far as I'm concerned. We can always watch movies at home for so much less. But then again, if we all do that, that will mean the death of the movie theater business and eventually, the movie industry itself. My old hometown used to have a movie house but it had to stop its operations due to dwindling patronage. I remember my younger days when my classmates and I would watch a movie twice in one session so we can make the most of the ticket price. Nowadays, that practice is no longer allowed and people have to leave the theater immediately at the end of a movie.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am proud to say that I have been really good at not getting anything at the movies outside of my tickets. I usually sneak in a bottle of water and I am good to go, as long as I make sure to eat beforehand.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am no longer surprise that food and drinks are unnecessarily being very expensive at pubs, clubs and cinemas. In fact I see the prices of stuffs in those places including the cinemas as exorbitant. This is the more reason I seldom go to those places. Any time I want to visit for some relaxation I keep enough money to match up with the exorbitant bills

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to the movies anyhow so I don't mind the high cost of food. Note, the theaters don't allow stuff brought in, so I cannot bring in chicken as @Alexandoy@Alexandoy does. Note, normally I would just eat a big meal before the movie and then just munch on popcorn during the film. Nonetheless, I think theaters in my area still sell protein high foods like hot dogs.

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat I am surprised by your reply. First here theaters always get house full when there is some good movie running on. Next I know it is business. But what you think same thing is available outside in very cheap price, aren't they running the business too? Even they are making profit.

May be they are not forcing, but it is kind of indirect force only as they don't allow outside food. Selling food stuff with almost 2 or 3 time higher than normal market value, I don't think this is done.

#15Apr 15, 2017
  16. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Overall, theater patronage is down. I haven't seen a full house here in years. I just read an article saying how difficult it is for them to stay in business these days, right before I responded to this post. I was actually looking to see if a certain movie was playing nearby, when I found the article. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just saying.

Other businesses may not have the same overhead costs as a movie theater does, so they can sell their food for less and still make money. The article I read said that something like 80% of the money they do make is from food and drinks, not movie tickets. Even then, their overall/combined profit margin is small. Without the high priced food and rinks then they would surely close the doors.

If they allow outside food, no one will buy their food. I never really had a meal at a theater anyway, so I would usually eat before I went or afterward. My husband and I might share some popcorn as a snack but never a full meal. I can't imagine that the food is all that good anyway. Also, (from the last time I went) the popcorn really wasn't even that good. Movie theater popcorn used to taste the best, but not so much any more. In a way, that's a good thing, since I won't be tempted to get any next time.

One thing I have noticed is that some places offer deals. You can get your ticket, popcorn, and drink, all for a set price, which is discounted. That might be a good way to go, if you have something like that available to you.

#16Apr 17, 2017
  17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat Honestly saying it is hard to believe that they are hardly making money from movie tickets. Because if we compare the price of tickets with old days than right now price is very very high.

And high price of ticket and food is also one of the reason that these days people avoid going to theaters again and again. May be rural area theaters are not getting that much audience but in metro cities, I am stills seeing house full for good movies. We have to buy pre tickets to avoid lines.

#17Apr 18, 2017
  18. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. The prices for the food in the theater has hiked up and it is really a waste of money for buying foods and eat there. I mean the price of popcorn outside and inside the theater is double the times. I used to buy foods for enjoying the movie better but now I have stopped it in order to save money. Besides the price of the food the taxes are much higher :(

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @harijobs@harijobs Well, if we talk about home made popcorn then the price should be 4 to 5 time higher. Or may be more than that. So it is totally waste of money. And yes even if we talk about outside popcorn their price is much cheaper than popcorn available in theater. These days they have also hike the price of ticket. So its like increasing in price in every section.

#19Apr 19, 2017
  20. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to theaters and when I do, I'm a cheapskate. The most I'll buy is something to drink and some sweets. It's way better to just eat from home before you go. Most movies are just like 2 hours so it's not like you're going to die by saving some money. Also my friends don't even care so no issues there. If I do buy, it's usually a collective effort with who I'm going with for example buying the largest popcorn to share for all of us.