Food Auctions

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Sep 13, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever been to a food auction? Several years ago, I saw a segment about them on the news on TV. It seemed like the auctions being touted were all out of this area. However, one time while driving home from work, I saw a sign that said Food Auction and named the date. Naturally, I went. Yes, most things were quite inexpensive, and a slice of ham in packing was 1.00 for instance. Boxes of steaks, leftover from retailers were like 10.00 a box. A food auction is the place to go, if you have a freezer for sure. My parents and sister went to a fruit and veggie auction earlier this summer. It was run by and geared to Amish people, but anyone was welcome.

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Never have seen or learn about food auctions taking place anywhere near or away from here, but sounds like an interesting concept that for sure I would take a look at if knowing where the next event is coming.

Obviously, as long as it is within my area ;)

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd have to verify that the food was good, and would want to know about the sources, as well as how it'd been stored and transported. There have been a lot of stories in the news over the past year or so about unscrupulous individuals and companies transporting meat in broken refrigerated trucks, so the required temperatures weren't maintained. Then there's the 40 year old meat from / in China. I'd be concerned about that for meat and frozen goods, but as far as produce and other goods, it sounds interesting. It would be great to be able to save money on food items. Were the items sold individually or in small lots, as well as large ones?

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the items were sold in large lots, but some smaller quantities were available as well. If someone would not buy the large boxes, they would break them into smaller quantities. In some cases, you have to put your faith in the stores, and or/ the auctioneers. No one wants to go out of business, and if the word got out that what they were selling, wasn't good or made someone sick, they wouldn't likely be in business too long.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I've never heard of a food auction or fruit and vegetable auction until you mentioned it. I'd watch for the expiration date on these auctions. It sounds like a very good economical way to save money especially when you have a big family to buy for. Auctions are fun to go to. I went to a silent auction with my friend years ago.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We rarely have a food auction here in terms of variety. But I remember once when I was a girl that my mother went to the PX of the American military base where there was a sale of imported chocolates, cigarettes and alcoholic drinks. She bought a lot and sold it to our neighbors. For now, the only food sale I know is the French Baker outlet where they sell the bread and pastries for 50% off starting 9pm. So let's fall in line to that.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We've never had those here but it does sound like fun and a great way to save. I think I'd definitely anticipate in one of those if it were available in my area. I'd even probably invest in a good freezer and good storage space if it ever came down to making that decision. I have done some similar things in the past such as buying chicken nuggets in bulk and having to turn on the extra refrigerator just to keep them and the other food I bought which was great since I didn't need to shop for a very long time during that period.