Food Containers, What To Choose?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TheOtherSide • Aug 2, 2017.

1. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Plastic materials have already dominated the market scene. Common household equipment have been replaced with plastics from chairs to tables, spoons, plates, drawers and even food containers and lunch boxes.

Do you have any issues with this plastic food containers? What are your criteria in choosing food containers? Do you store your food in plastic containers or do you have other alternatives besides plastic?

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    You can find glass bowls and dishes, and some even have glass lids (some have plastic lids). Corningware and Pyrex come to mind. Both are good brands and have been around for a long time. You may be able to find some deals on Amazon.

You can use aluminum foil or foil containers for food storage, but it's not great for certain foods.

There are ways to look for "good" or

(or at least it's better than some of the options).

3. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Well as of right now, there are a lot of options, so your best bet is to look for one that is the perfect size for your needs and it's better if it were medical.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind using plastic containers as long as they are sturdy. Much of the cheaper plastic containers don't last very long and will break very easily. I do have some glass storage containers that I use that are Pyrex and I really like them. They have plastic lids but they seem to be of good quality as they have lasted a long time. I think you can find safe plastic just about anywhere nowadays so that shouldn't be a probably if that is the route you are going. Glass containers can be a little bit pricier too.

5. TheOtherSide

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat Yeah, aluminum foils and foil containers are good to use as food storage too. But value for money, I think it's not commendable since you have to buy every now and then. Other than that, aluminum containers is as useful and handy when it comes to storing and keeping your foods fresh.

@morgoodie@morgoodie So true. Some plastic containers are really annoying and easily loses their shape when you pour hot liquids on them. Glass wares and ceramics are really best suited for the job but are a little expensive compared to plastic wares.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like plastic containers much but have to keep some as they are quite useful and easy to handle. But predominantly, I use stainless steel containers to store most of my groceries, a few glass jars to store stuff like pickles etc. Stainless steel jars are the better option than others as they are durable and easy to clean, and last a long long time. No question of breakage either!

7. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to use plastic containers for my food. It is simply and easy, aside from containers I also use those large zip lock bags for my meals as well. I never used a glass jar, in my opinion it is a bit to risky. I can be clumsy at times and could accidentally break it. Plastic containers are still durable.

8. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    I choose to store all liquid food materials like yogurt, oil and other curries etc. to be stored in a a glass bowl and other food materials like pulses and rice in plastic containers. I keep drinking water in a copper vessel as that metal is said to have properties that enhance the quality of water. I always avoid storing or carrying water in a plastic bottle as far as possible. All the consumable items in the house like chili powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, etc. should be stored in an airtight glass jar that you find in the market these days.

9. TheOtherSide

Threads:
    I agree, stainless steel wares are really durable and will last longer than most food containers when properly taken cared. I think there are even stainless steel mugs, but I would prefer to use ceramic mugs for hot coffee. By the way, aren't stainless steel wares susceptible to acid damage from vinegar and acidic cleanser?

Actually I myself worries sometimes when using glass wares because of the dangers of getting cuts or injuries when accidents happen. So I never allow children in the household to used glass wares or even ceramic wares.

10. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    @TheOtherSide@TheOtherSide I use stainless steel wares only for storing dry groceries and for eating lunch, dinner, almost all meals. I use ceramic mugs and cups for hot beverages as they cannot be drunk from metal wares as they become too hot. You are right that stainless steel is susceptible to acidic stuff but such food items such as pickles etc. which are acidic - I use glass jars to store them in. With respect to cleansers, the steel will get corroded from the acid in them only if the metal is exposed to it for a long time. And since most dish washing liquids that we use are mostly alkaline in nature, it is not really a problem.

#10Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Plastic containers are cheap and useful, but some break only after a few years, because the way the lids are designed makes the lid break in a few years. If I would use a plastic container, it would have to be the ice cream-like tub style. rather than the side-clinging-type style of lid, that kind breaks easily.

12. TheOtherSide

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania I actually see lots of those plastic containers nowadays especially the ones that are used on frozen and cold products like ice cream and yogurts. I think plastic containers are even used in the packaging of baked products like cakes and pastries. I wonder, do manufacturers still used tin can for packaging their frozen products like ice cream? I rarely see them nowadays.

#12Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    In our home, we prefer the plastic chairs, plates and containers because of how long it can last when managed well. The plastic table I got for my reading pleasure is still as strong as ever with no fear whether it will get rusty as iron tables do. I prefer the plastic plates too for personal food storage in fridges because they are light and can fit in without many issues.

I am writing now while I enjoy the meal I dished out in a plastic plate. I enjoy using plastic utensils for its durability.

14. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped using plastic food containers when I discovered these silicone food containers.

[​IMG]

I can adjust their size and Silicone is proven to be more safe than plastic. Also Silicone can be used for baking too.

15. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Not all plastic containers are bad, there are a few that are medical and can be very healthy. But silicone is definitely far better in terms of quality.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @TheOtherSide@TheOtherSide, Good point, I never really would have noticed that until you mentioned it. I also no longer see tin cans of ice cream being sold here as well, I guess it would cost them more than plastic. Tin cans also rust over time, so it's not a "food-friendly" container. The plastic ones are better.

17. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Tin cans are no longer used anymore, except for stuff like canned beans, tomatoes etc. Otherwise it is all flimsy plastic containers or foil packages.
    @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan, I really like the collapsible silicone containers, it is so innovative and an amazing idea. I must check if they are available online as I have not seen them in our local shops so far. I have been using silicone moulds to bake muffins etc. so I already have a few. These new containers are something that I would like to have.

18. TheOtherSide

Threads:
    @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan That's quite a discovery right there. Those Silicone containers are pretty innovative and space savers as well. I might switch to them when I find one. I think it wouldn't be long before those Silicone containers find their way too in the market scene.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Commonly used plastic containers protect well, but now they've got these super tight bags which keep literally all air out. In the US, you can find them at Wal-Mart, but the first place I heard about them was on TV. Anyway, bad taste from freezing seems to be a big deal. For instance, the US fast-food giant Wendy's advertises that it uses only fresh beef to avoid the problem.

20. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    It is not advisable health wise to store hot food in plastic containers. If the food is hot, leave it to cool and if you want to pack it hot then use a glass container or an insulated hot dish that will keep the food warm.

Though plastic containers are hazardous, I just can't live without them. They come in handy and are very cheap and convenient.