Food In The Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Sunflogun • Jun 4, 2015.

1. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    Some movie houses here in the metro where I live do not allow food and drinks unless bought in their own premises. Pretty sneaky if you ask me, but that is business. In such cases, I skip the food and go watch the movie instead. However, there is this movie house that does not mind moviegoers buying food down the grocery store, and people prefer such because it is less expensive. It is only when I buy food to accompany the movie.

2. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That's what happen where I live too in most of the movie houses, what is a little shameless from them, I mean, if they pay them it's fine, if I carry my own stuff is not? Like you say, it's sneaky, but it's business.

3. leovew

leovewNew Member

Threads:
    Every time I watch a movie, I make it a point that I've included the cost of getting my snacks in my budget. For me, the movie-watching experience won't be complete without food to accompany it. My favorite snack is most definitely a large-sized Texan Barbecue popcorn and lemonade. Once I'm inside the movie house, I start eating my snack even if the movie hasn't started yet. And it never happened that I still had a snack by the end of the movie ;)

4. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    Even though the snacks at the movies ARE wildly overpriced and unhealthy, I do feel like it adds to the whole movie going experience. Movie theater nachos are a guilty pleasure of mine and I also love the Sno-Caps. I really don't go to the movies much at all anymore, so I'm usually OK with treating myself.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the point you raised. The food you buy outside of the theatre or movie house and the food you buy in-house produce different feels. There's no clear logic to this (or maybe only the sentimental people can relate with what we're saying). I mean, doesn't it feel weird to buy popcorn at the department store just so you can eat it during your next movie outing with friends? Hot, fluffy popcorn fresh out of the popper can enhance your movie experience - but you have to be willing to pay the price.

6. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I usually sneak food in either wearing baggy shorts that have big pockets, or using my girlfriend's purse. We just buy snacks at either the Walmart or Dollar Tree. We used to ask people for their empty popcorn cartons or keep our old popcorn bags since they give you a new one for refills.

7. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I usually sneak my own food in, there are times when I will splurge a little and buy their food but its very rare. I usually go to the dollar store before I go and spend 5 dollars which would have costs me 15-20 dollars at the theatre.

8. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    It's honestly so amazing how high those prices are. When I go with my boyfriend to the movies we spend well over $20 on just snacks. When I go to with my mom we usually just get some candy from the store and then we will just eat that. Honestly, you can get candy so much cheaper that way. My boyfriend and I live in two different states. I wouldn't be able to do that where he lives because they will check your bags for candy and other stuff like that. Where I live, they don't check your bags or anything. So, that kind of stinks because then I have to spend a ton of money when we go out, and half the time he doesn't even eat the food that I buy for him.

9. mikewonki

mikewonkiNew Member

Threads:
    Sadly, I am a popcorn enthusiast so I always end up getting a popcorn bucket whenever I go to the movies. I agree the prices are just ridiculous for the amount (and sometimes quality) of the products they sell. I sometimes just get a soda and smuggle some chocolate bars or small candies. I still remember how I used to feel bad for my wallet when I took a girl out to the movies!

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The price of snacks has gotten so high at the movie's that I do not purchase anything there. We will go to the Dollar Tree and get some snacks that will fit in out pockets to snack on while we are at the movies and we usually eat before we go so that we are not hungry.

11. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I go to a dine in movie theater. At the dine in theater, you can get food other than popcorn and candy. Some of the food is expensive, but a lot of it is pretty reasonable considering how much you get. I love the cheeseburger and fries. They give you a lot of fries and a big cheeseburger. The pizza is good too. You get a plateful of pizza and it is amazing.

12. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have a movie theater that is about an hour away from me that has the same stuff. You can get hot dogs, burgers, fries, and nachos. It's great because sometimes I just want more than popcorn. I know that sometimes that stuff can be expensive, but it's worth it. Because just like you said, they give you a good amount. Plus, what's not to love about eating a burger and watching a movie that's pretty awesome if you ask me.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a cinema here called Director's Club, an extension of the movie houses in the mall. This Director's club charges double the ticket of ordinary cinemas because of the amenities. First, the seat is reclining like a massage chair. Second, the ticket comes with a free drink and unlimited popcorn. Third, you can order food inside and eat while you are watching. We watched Minions yesterday in that theater together with the kids. You can imagine their delight.

14. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I know the popcorn is super expensive but I can't seem to go to a movie without buying popcorn. Popcorn and a movie just seem to go together. Their popcorn is always so butter and good. Mind you after I eat it I don't feel so great from all the grease but it is all the part of going to the movies for me. They always have deals where you get the popcorn, beverage and candy as a combo. They usually have free refills on the pop too. Some even have refill on the popcorn, depending on the theatre.

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to the movies, and when I do, I see matinees, which are less expensive, so I feel justified in splurging on buttered popcorn and a soda. I rarely drink soda, so it's an extra special treat for me to have it while watching a newly released movie, and the movie theater buttered popcorn reminds me of childhood, which brings back fun and pleasant memories.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of anyone being searched for popcorn at cinemas in the UK, even though they all ban outside food and I feel certain that most people here bring their own. Obviously you can't just walk in holding it but it's fine in your handbag.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The price for food in the movies is obnoxious. But still we do usually buy the popcorn because I never find such good popcorn outside the movies! If we want other snacks we will buy in a supermarket and sneak them in my purse!

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do sometimes sneak in bottled water, if I'm not in the mood for soda. Occasionally I'll bring a granola bar, but it's a rare occasion when I don't at least buy buttered popcorn at the movie theater. I also have never seen anyone searched. I think they're aware that some bring snacks/drinks, but I'm sure they make a pretty profit from the concession stands anyway.

19. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Saving money is always a great thing but it really sucks to not have anything to eat or drink while watching a movie. And what forces you to buy from the theater is the fact that they don't let any food or drinks brought from home into the theater. But you know what? Whatever, because since I paid money to watch the movie, I'm gonna enjoy my experience there. I go and pick up a popcorn and a drink. I used to eating popcorn at the movies because it's almost like a habit now. And no drink? for 2 hours? That's not cool haha. It's important to save money but I think a lot of people can admit that they can't just buy a movie ticket and walk into the theater empty handed. I'll praise you if you did but I can't.

I don't go to the theaters often anyways so when I go, I get the tickets, popcorn and drinks. If you really want to save money, don't go to the theater because the smell of popcorn butter will tempt you to death. Which is why I rarely go and I'm always watching stuff from home.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the movie theaters shouldn't be so picky these days about not letting people bring in their own food. They should be thankful there are people showing up there at all. Many people these days have large flat screen televisions that are much better quality than the outdated projection systems in a lot of movie theaters. Plus the seating at home is obviously more comfortable than being crammed into some tiny seat, fighting over the arm rest with the person(s) next to you. Not to mention you don't have to deal with people constantly getting up during the movie, or talking and disturbing you.

Movie theater food has gotten so expensive, that they are simply pricing themselves out of the market. Why should I drop like $25 there for some cheap popcorn, a drink and a small box of candy, when I could have had a whole meal at a nearby dine-in restaurant for that much? I could get a steak dinner at TGI Fridays or Lonestar for what I would pay for some popcorn and a drink at the theater.

I personally don't even like to eat during movies, especially those large sodas, because I will inevitably have to go to the bathroom and miss several minutes of the movie.