Food In The Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Sunflogun • Jun 4, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:

Although I think we are the minority here - that is exactly how I feel and why I now always watch movies at home - as I really can't justify the expense of having to sit on uncomfortable seats - surrounded by fidgety people eating loud food - when its a far from enjoyable experience.

In fact logically speaking - if really looking to reduce the cost of going to the movies - rather than trying to reduce the cost by smuggling food in - it would surely be way cheaper to avoid snacks altogether - particularly as - not only would doing that save even more money but probably benefit the waistline too :)

2. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    It is insanely expensive. I used to get popcorn and milk duds because they're such a good combination together. But I haven't gone to the movies in a long time, but the last times I did, I didn't buy anything. Maybe if I could afford it I'd indulge, but there's just no justifying paying that much for it in my opinion.

3. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    First off, the food and drinks at the cinemas are totally unacceptable. It's like $10+ for a kiddy drink and popcorn on top of your $6 - $7 ticket purchase. I always expect to pay around $20 for each movie trip JUST FOR MYSELF. I kind of gave up and started to sneak food in my purse. The only thing they can do is kick me out for sneaking food in because I don't want to pay for their ridiculous priced food in the first place. Walmart is across the movies from where I live, buy you a $1 box from there and put it in your purse. Not a big deal at all.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    That IS a strangely delicious combo. You just made me want to go see a movie and snack on some popcorn and Milk Duds, haha. But yeah, as you and many others have pointed out, it’s just too cost-prohibitive even without the overpriced snacks. Really makes me miss the days of the dollar theater downtown. Was just discussing that with someone, in fact. Sure, you had to wait to see certain movies, but it saved a good chunk of change.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went to the cinema about two weeks ago now, to see The Visit. The ticket prices have gone up too. I was disgusted before, but now the tickets are £9, so that is a whole £10 gone, for a cinema ticket, and that is before you have even purchased snacks to eat whilst watching the movies. I have taken to bringing my own snacks from now on, otherwise I'd end up spending an entire £20

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree that buying food at the movies is outrageously expensive. It absolutely blows my mind that the movie theatres can charge such insane prices for popcorn and soda. I have a rather large purse so when we go to the movies as a family I'll pack juice boxes or sodas and chocolates. I've often considered bringing in my own popcorn but it would smell better than theirs and it would give me away. I don't even find movie theatre popcorn that good. That last 2 times we were at the theatre and the kids got free popcorn with their movie tickets the popcorn was stale! So disappointing. I prefer Costco's Kirkland popcorn. It's great.