Food Shows We Love

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • May 2, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I watch Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives whenever I catch it on TV. I find it very interesting how the more obscure restaurants across America serves their food. The only thing I don't like is that about half of the featured food in that show tends to be hamburger or other variations of usual sandwiches, but I appreciate it for what it is, and there are a lot of other unique cuisines and dishes that are being featured enough to give it a lot of diversity.

What are your favorite food related shows?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't stand that guy, but I did watch the show a lot with my youngest, he's a foodie lol. Guy Fieri is a heart attack waiting to happen though.. it bothers me to watch the show knowing he could drop at any second. His blood must be completely replaced by grease by now! lol. he's cashing in though. I also read a really bad review of one of his restaurants too, which shocked me. Shocked him too, he flipped out lol.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    When i used to stay at home a lot, i remember just changing to a Spanish channel i used to have and just left it on during the cooking shows. I only remember it was a woman that spoke very fast, but that could be said from all Spanish people.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of like to watch Iron Chef America, especially if nothing else is on at that time. I also like to watch the Cupcake Challenge, and I use to like to watch Food Network Challenge, but this program was apparently cancelled. I have also been known to watch Paula Dean's show on occasion. One show on Food Network though that I have never been able to get into is Chopped. Yet, they seem to air that program quite a bit especially lately. I just could never see what the great thing was about this program.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite cooking show was Emeril Live. I loved to watch it more than anything on prime time network TV. Now, I'm still a fan of Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Lol I agree, he does tend to rub some people the wrong way as it is often the case with people who have such strong personalities. I admit I didn't really like his whole schtick at first myself, but I've learned to tolerate him because the show is fantastic. I don't watch his other shows because I don't like him that much either, to be honest, but he seems like a nice guy. Also, I did hear about that restaurant review thing that happened to him as well and I thought it was amusing, but I'm sure he will live through it.

7. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I really enjoy watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. It is the British version of the show Gordon Ramsay does in the United States. It is a lot better than the American version: it is much more focussed on business and food than on the "invented dramas" the American show is all about. It also highlights issues other than the food. In the American version, the food is always awful initially. Some of the restaurants in the British version do not have a low standard of food but the business is not being managed properly. As a result, they are losing money. Rather than having a voiceover, the British version is mostly Ramsay himself speaking so it is more about his opinions and ideas than anything else. Unfortunately they do not make any new ones. He stopped making them in the UK in 2007 or so. The ones he did make are still worth watching though.

8. kerri

kerriNew Member

Threads:
    The Food Network and AMC are my two favorite channels. My favorite food show is currently Restaurant: Impossible, because I love new recipes and who can resist a great before & after success story? I love to watch Chef Robert Irvine's reactions to the various restaurant nightmares he discovers on the show. I don't get to watch much television, but I see a lot of advertisements of other cooking shows I would surely watch if given an ounce of opportunity. I wish I had a failing restaurant for him to come make over :)

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch Food Network quite a lot, it's one of my favourite channels because i'm interested in cooking. One of my favourite food shows at the moment is Food Wars. The food on Food Wars looks amazing and the presenter is very hot!

10. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use to watch Man vs. Food a lot. Yes it is about a guy eating unhealthy, but I have a list of restaurants I want to visit with groups of friends. To split the portions of the huge food! Also, Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmerman. I love that show so much. I know have a list of places I want to visit, just to try the food. There are some things on that show I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot-pole, but also a lot I'd try in a heart beat.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I love watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, I think the program sometimes shows another side of him that we usually don't see on Hell's Kitchen, he's not just some angry guy that yells all the time, he's a guy that's really passionate about food and wants restaurants to serve people the best quality food possible.
    Other than that I LOVE watching Masterchef, especially the Junior version, which I think there's only an Australian version, it's amazing to see how well those kids can cook and seeing them progress as the show goes on is really inspiring.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Oh! I love that show. I really enjoy seeing all the tasty food each state or country has to offer. I've even seen places shown in my city that I didn't know existed lol. I also like that show 30 minute meals with Rachel ray its not on anymore but it was a good show when it was airing.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They were making fun of Guy Fieri on Conan recently, and said that he wanted to do a belly slide into a sleeping bag stuffed with bbq pulled pork. Just the visual alone was cracking me up.

I've grown really tired of all the shows on Food Network. They are so cookie cutter, repetitive and idealized they are no fun to watch anymore. A majority of the people on there aren't even chefs, they are just TV personalities knocking out really basic recipes that some ghost writer wrote for them. They all keep repeating the same cooking tips too. I was watching some of the older Emeril shows on Youtube not too long ago, and it was amazing to see how much they've dumbed down their programming over the past 10+ years. You'll never see them making a Beef Wellington or a traditional French Cassoulet, it's all "cutesy" simpleton recipes for "people on the go". If you've got hours to waste playing around on Facebook each day, then you can spend a reasonable amount of time to cook a meal. I'm so sick of this "in a hurry, on the go" myth they keep prefacing all their recipes with.

14. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    The food shows that I love to watch are Unwrapped and Man vs Food. I love watching Unwrapped because it brings back so many good memories for me. I often times see a lot of snacks that I remember eating or wanting to eat as a kid. I enjoy them taking me through the process of how the candy/snack is made and they even give a little background of the origin and founder of the candy/snack.

Man vs Food is all the way different. I can't remember the guys name but he gets paid to travel around the states and eat. That's my kind of dream job. The places that he travels to have competitions for their customers to eat the hottest wings, or the biggest burrito. It's always a ridiculous amount of food and he has a set time to complete the task. I think my favorite episodes are when he has to eat extremely spicy food. The poor guy starts to sweat and probably faint. lol

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to love watching Man vs Food - the dishes always looked amazing! Adam Richman always looked like he was going to keel over and die at the end of the meal! He's abandoned the extreme eating in favor of a healthy lifestyle now and I have to say, he looks good for it!

16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Unwrapped was a great suggestion. I really appreciated Cutthroat Kitchen. It combines the two things I love: The way that people & their greed destroy their own talent & the fact that every so often people just pull talent from their backside.

17. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Diners Drive-ins and Dives definitely showcased a lot of quality restaurants and eateries, I've tried a couple of those featured on the show and they were all delicious and affordable. Another great series on the Food Network is Chopped, it's great to see how chefs can work under pressure and produce creative, delicious cuisine.

It's a shame that many other shows on the channel have been on a decline. I really dislike reality cooking shows like Next Food Network Star, it feels fake and forced to me.