Food That You Like A Lot But Don't Understand Why

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jneanz • Oct 3, 2015.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Trader Joe's started me on my journey to be something of a foodie, and I'm glad I've hipped many people to what they've had to offer. Anyone who shops knows that items come and go at some point but one thing on my mind right now is shrimp toast.
    Yep, in the frozen food section is a super-light appetizer made up of minced shrimp and seasonings topped on buttery white toast triangles with black and white sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
    I like fresh seafood and sometimes all I need is a little something but once I have it, I can't stop thinking about it.

Has a dish had that effect on you?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We call it prawn toast over here but I do agree with you that it's good stuff!

I only really think about food when I'm hungry though. I don't really see it as a treat or reward - just something to keep me going through the day.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Sushi is the one dish I love and just can't understand why. The ingredients most of them have don't seem like something I would like combined, but it actually works really well.

4. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is stone wheat crackers. They don't taste that good and they get stale really quickly, but I can sit and eat a whole box of them in a single (prolonged) sitting. I really don't get it, but the very act of eating them is strangely satisfying. I don't even put anything on them.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    For me it’s fairly bland foods in general, like unbuttered popcorn, rice cakes, and soda crackers. If I had to come up with a possible explanation, it’s probably just the fact that they’re so easy to eat mindlessly. Keeps me occupied, I suppose.

6. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    Okay this is really weird but for me, it's wheat bread with powdered milk. I roll up a slice of wheat bread and fill it up with sweet powdered milk. Doesn't matter what kind of powdered milk as long as it's sweet. I've done that since I was a kid and I never grew out of it I guess.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG @karamara, that is indeed a weird one LOl But I guess as long as you enjoy it, that's what matters, right?
    I know I have a few of my own, but one that comes to mind is cucumber. Let's face it, cucumber is really rather bland, but for some reason, I LOVE it. I can have a cucumber sandwich and be very happy.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to eat concentrated orange juice right out of the can - my mom had to stop buying it and just get the bottles of OJ, because I kept eating it all every time she opened a can to make some juice.

When I first started learning how to cook, I tried to come up with my own special recipe for a sandwich, which sounds really gross but it's actually pretty interesting, flavor wise. I made it with regular white sandwich bread, and it included bologna, peanut butter, grape jelly, American cheese and potato chips. I still make them once in a while just for laughs, but they're really not as bad as they sound - the peanut butter and bologna in particular are an interesting flavor combination.

I also like to eat cold hot dogs right out of the package without even heating them up. I'll break off pieces and snack on them.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    That reminds me of what my classmates and I used to do with ramen packets when we were kids. I may have mentioned it a while back in another post. We’d break the raw noodles into bite-size pieces and sprinkle the flavor packet over them. Super unhealthy and terrible for the teeth, but weirdly delicious.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't say I have any weird food preferences but I like eating waffles and donuts and I buy them everytime I walk across a store that sells them.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe @sidney@sidney I agree, those are not really weird foods, they're divine! I think I like them too much, so my trick is to avoid seeing them because the minute I see them, is the minute I want to buy them, especially donuts!

My other weird one that I like is avocado. It took me a while, because I think it's an acquired taste. But thinking about it, in as much as I enjoy them, they do have a weird taste. My husband can't stand the taste, and I know a lot of people can't take to them.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala. I know right? Which donut do you prefer, Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme? I like Krispy Kreme more, but they sure are quite expensive as compared to Dunkin Donuts.

13. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Sidney.....Can you believe that we have neither in Botswana :( ?! Actually, we don't have any of the well known fast food chains over here. I never saw any Dunkin Donuts in England, either, but my! I LOVE Krispy Kremes! So I take it I lucked out having access to the better donuts LOL?! The only other ones I usually buy are supermarket ones, which are no patch on Krispy Kremes.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Oh I guess Dunkin Donuts was not picked up to be franchised by businessmen over there in the UK. Here we have that I think in the 80's already, but Krispy Kreme became available only in the late 2000's. They are so deliciously sweet aren't they? Too bad they're expensive, lol!

15. Lushlala

Threads:
    You guys are so lucky! I bet you even have McDonalds and Burger King, huh? We have none of those, I think in part because of the very small Botswana population (it's only 2.1 million). If we crave some of these things, we have to cross over to South Africa, which i'm not very keen on because of the crime rate. Oh yes, Krispy Kremes are melt in the mouth good :) I could do with one right now, actually **sigh**

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Yes we do have McDonald's and Burger King over here too for a long time now, I guess you're right, because upon checking, as of 2014 our population is around 100 million plus already, so it attracts franchises of large brands. We even have Papa Joe's now even if it's not that popular as Pizza Hut.

17. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man. I still do number one and three on this list. I can't eat too much concentrate, because it makes me ill, but I almost always skim a bit off the top when I open a can. I don't eat cold hot dogs as much anymore, but I have no problem breaking open a pack and chowing down, as long as they aren't frozen.

18. Lushlala

Threads:
    Oh wow Sidney, you guys really do have it all. I'm so green with envy LOL! We have none of those! I bet you also have the likes of Costa and Starbucks?!

-and wow, your population is a lot bigger than mine! It makes sense that you have so many popular franchises over there.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, We only have Starbucks, no Costa yet. They even franchised J.Co, a donuts, coffee, and yogurt store in Indonesia. They don't only concentrate on Western stores. You might want to migrate here instead, lol. Living is a lot cheaper too when I compare it to most countries. $10 is enough for 2 people to eat for 1 whole day if you buy the cheapest food in our local diner version. :)

20. Lushlala

Threads:

Hehe Sidney, that sounds fantastic! I may just be tempted to move there LOL I just don't believe $10 could feed two people! I may live in a third world country, but the cost of living is ridiculous here. Everything is hideously expensive. $10 would not go very far, even for one person it's not really enough to eat anything decent. Well, unless you go to fast food joints. You guys have it so good :)