Food That You Like A Lot But Don't Understand Why

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jneanz • Oct 3, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I'm talking about cooked food, but prepared by homeowners and sold at those small public canteens, in the US they are called diners, over here we have the carinderia, hehe. Seriously, you can eat a full meal for $1 only, in fast foods, those Mcdonald's budget meals cost $2 hehe. No wonder our minimum wage is around $12 per day, since there are so many cheap food available here. How much is the Big Mac over there? Over here they cost $3 to $4. The price is the same for international franchises right?

2. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Salted grapefruit. I don't know why. I taste the bitter grapefruit then the intense saltiness and my first response is always one of disgust. But then I decide to go for another and end up eating my fill in salted grapefruit.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that this is a funny thread title and topic, somewhat. If I like a food, then I usually know why lol. It is either because of the taste, the feeling that it gives me, or because of the nutritional value of said food. Sometimes I don't like foods and will not eat them straight away, even when I do like them, which is curious to me.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Oh, I see LOL We have some of those carinderias (love that word!) over here too, and yes, the food is as delicious as it is cheap :) We don't have McDonalds over here (!), I mean like seriously LOL But over the border in South Africa, they do have it but I've yet to have it there. So I don't know how much it costs. Yea, I think the price is similar, although the offer differs from country to country. I know from my husband that the UK portions are way smaller than the American portions. -and apparently over there they have bottomless soda, not in the UK!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I see, it's nice to know that carinderias are also popular in Botswana. I really wonder why the servings are so big in the US while the rest of the world doesn't serve food portions as big as that. We pay the same price for lesser servings, it's not fair, lol!

6. Lushlala

Threads:
    Sidney, we just have to count ourselves lucky because we might otherwise not be able to stop stuffing our faces LOL So in that sense, I'd rather stick with the smaller portions.Mmy husband has family over in the US and even though he loves food and has a healthy appetite, he was shocked at the portion sizes in America when he went to visit. He was totally blown away.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Well that's true, no wonder Americans are getting overweight and they are known as an "overweight" country, and I think it's because of the large servings. Maybe Americans generally have a large appetite.

8. Lushlala

Threads:

It's a shame really, and I do wonder if the government could step in and push for smaller portions. Although because people have had it this way for so long, they'd probably go up in arms and feel that they were being ruled by a 'nanny state'. My guess is people probably eat those huge portions because they're made available to them. Some people can't see food and not eat it, if you get my drift?

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw the title to this post and wasn’t sure exactly what it meant... I mean, you like a food because it tastes good, you know why you like it!

But I actually do have something I like and don’t know why!! Granola with raisins. I hate, hate, HATE raisins in everything. But for the weirdest reason I cannot for the life of me understand, I love granola with raisins.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Yes I agree with you on that, plus I think that the consumers would feel bad throwing or wasting uneaten food, so they force themselves to finish all the contents of their plate. Then again, for sure some just eat a lot by nature, lol!

11. Lushlala

Threads:

Yes, some people just eat because they can. Or they have an unhealthy relationship with food. It's just so sad, really. Did you ever see this documentary, I forget the name of it; but it was about morbidly obese people who just couldn't break their eating addiction but wanted to have a band fitted.

One particular case broke my heart because the woman would have her family and friends sneak in some of the fattiest fast food (they were being held in a special facility). In the end she had the band fitted, but even then she couldnt curb her eating. She eventually died because I think the band snapped or something, because she ate way beyond the capacity of her new, smaller stomach. Some scary stuff!

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, That is scary indeed! I actually wonder why some peole need a lot of food that normal people can't handle just to be full? Maybe they started wirh normal portions then they got gluttonous? Did you watch that on cable or on tv?

13. Lushlala

Threads:
    I watched it on regular TV but can't for the life of me remember what program it was. But one of my favourite British documentary makers, Louis Theroux did something along those lines. As I understand it, it's like any other addiction whether it's drugs, alcohol, smoking etc In some cases it's even linked to mental issues. It's not as simplistic as we all think it is.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, So it's also linked to mental problems? No wonder they seem to eat a lot of food that most people can't handle, since they are addicted to it. Some people can't even leave their house since they can't stand up due to obesity. That must be a hard life.

15. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I can shed some light on this. We have more single working parents than ever, which reduces the time and energy to prepare a balanced meal. Kids are affected two ways. Not being able to eat right at home and being more sedentary than ever. Communities have fewer adults to keep a lookout for neighborhood stuff. While there are exceptions, this is becoming more common in the States. Kids grow into adults and the cycle starts all over again. Believe it or not, Michelle Obama has made a difference but there's nothing sadder than a 5 y.o. that weighs 80 lbs.

16. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney......Yes, it's a sad state of affairs! From what I understand, most eating disorders are closely linked to depression, some of which then manifest themselves as comfort eating/over eating or the other extreme, bulimia and anorexia. Which is why I think having a band put in shouldn't apply across the board, as it's like slapping a band aid on the wound without getting to the bottom of the core issue and treating it. Which explains why some people then don't change their mindset where food is concerned, rendering the band useless. I think each case ought to be assessed on its own merit and the right solutions put in place, other than taking the 'easy' way out.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, If that's the case then I think that the safest way to lose weight is through plain diet and exercise, even if they are too large to be comfortable in moving. Next would be a liposuction, since it just takes out the fat, and your stomach remains intact.

18. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Sidney....I totally agree that going the diet and exercise route is probably the best option for them. I feel that this way they'll appreciate having put in the effort and take pride in their success. I think this would also help them build a better and healthier relationship with food. But these days people prefer the easy way out, the short cuts, which don't always work long term :(

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, That's so true, especially when the person has money, they would usually opt for the easy and instant way. I did try some slimming tea before, and it was effective, I lost some inches but my weight remained the same. so I think slimming teas are ok as long as it's the safe or the herbal kind.

20. Lushlala

Threads:

Hehe @sidney@sidney, that reminds me; many years ago my cousin tried some Chinese slimming tea and I'm not joking, she could never be very far from the toilet LOL I don't even think the tea worked either. But if push came to shove, I'd sooner do the slimming tea over slimming pills.