For Short Stays,do You Give Up Amenities For A Cheaper Hotel Room?

Discussion in Travel started by thisnthat • Apr 13, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm not going to stay long, or I know I won't be in the room much, I'm willing to give up some things in order to get a cheaper overall rate on a hotel room. My main priorities are that the place is clean, safe, and comfortable. If I can get all that and get a great rate, I'm good.

Of course, it is nice to have all the extras, and I'm especially happy if there are things like a pool, fridge in the room, and extra comforts like that. Still, if I'm barely going to be there, I can do without extras in order to save money. That way I have more money for other things.

Do you stick with plain Jane hotels for savings or do you prefer a bit more luxury? Does it depend on the length of stay?

Where have you found the best deals on hotel rooms? I like the booking sites that show the most comparisons. I also save money by booking in advance, and sometimes, by passing up the chance for cancellation.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, if you're going to be out most of the day and not use most of the amenities then you are better off paying for a cheaper room as long as transport is nearby. That's why I choose the Hampton Inn in New York as I am out most of the day, and hotels in New York are always noisy so you can't do much in them if you want to read.

I think spending money on luxury hotels are good for say winter locations where you know you will be indoors more such as resort hotels. For city stay, it's more location that matters to me. As long as it's clean, has wi-fi, and isn't in a red light district with transport nearby, I'm okay with that.

3. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    If it is going to be a short stay like overnight I wouldn't mind taking a cheaper deal and miss out on some luxury. If it was a planned break, however, getting the most luxury possible is all part of it. I think it depends on whether the break was planned or not. If I had to go away suddenly I would search for the cheapest place and not worry about what they had to offer.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I choose rooms which are clean, safe and comfortable. The rest doesn't really matter usually. Of course who doesn't love amenities but most times I am either in transit or there for sight seeing so I would hardly be in d room to enjoy the luxury.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the circumstance, but as a principle I am in favor of saving as much as I can. Surely that we might not be spending much time in the room, but being comfortable and having a nice view is priceless too, so overall it's something we need to consider before making our choice.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I had posted in another thread, we were scrimping on the accommodation in our first travels. But later on, we learned how to savor the luxury of life since we have the budget for it. For a 4-star or 5-star hotel, we always choose the standard room and we never get the suite because we were in that country for a tour and not for a vacation in the hotel room. The only amenities I look for is the nice bathroom with tub, free wifi, refrigerator, and of course, tv with cable. As much as possible, we avail of the room with free breakfast if it is practical to our taste. In our last trip to Japan, we did not avail of the breakfast because it is not buffet and it is purely Japanese that we may not enjoy.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    It actually depends on why I have to book a hotel room. If it's simply to let the hours pass while waiting for my ride, I don't mind not having luxurious accommodations. I've once stayed in a regular hotel with no airconditioning while waiting for the first bus trip in the province where I was assigned to visit a client. As long as it's safe, secure, and reasonably comfortable, I really don't mind. On the other hand, if the purpose of staying in a hotel is to take a little vacation that I've planned for, I would definitely expect it to have the best accommodations for the price I'm willing to pay. From time to time, my credit card offers discounted hotel rooms for as much as 50% off. I've availed of such offers in the past after comparing prices with booking sites.

8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I do not really mind if there is not luxurious features, such as pool, gym or others, but I would prefer there is at least a bathroom and air-conditioner. Clean, safe and comfortable are my priorities too. I would prefer I can at least have a good sleep in the room, so I do not mind about other extra features.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135 Wow, I guess I'm spoiled. I never even imagined a room without a bathroom or air-conditioning. I think of those as staples rather than luxuries. Yes, I definitely want both of those in any room that I'm going to pay for. I can pass on a lot of things, but temperature control and a (clean) bathroom are of utmost importance.

I was more referring to things like a fridge and/or microwave in the room, pool, outdoor relaxing area, "free" breakfast, and stuff like that. Those things are nice, and are always more convenient, but for me they're not essential for a short or limited stay like the things you mentioned are.

#9Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have cleared my stand in another similar thread that if I have to stay for a shorter time then my priority always goes to a hotel but if it's a longer private trip then I have to see if I could get a room called paying guest facility in our country with all included or without included of meals and breakfast as per guests' choice. I have availed this facility when out for longer trips in hills which is far cheaper compared to hotel with more facilities.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Why not? Saving money is much better than spending it much for a brief sojourn in a hotel. If I were to stay in a hotel for a day or two, I would check in to a hotel which I could pay less by eliminating amenities which I could enjoy in a short stay.

And I think there are some hotels that are offering that kind of payment mode. I do agree with you that the most important thing which is a traveler longs for is the clean and a good service without compromising the cheaper cost.

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, @Nakitakona@Nakitakona that's kind of like my thinking in this matter. For a brief stay, you might not even get a chance to make use of the pool or gym. In some cases, you might not even be able to take advantage of the breakfast. If you need sleep and they end the meal quite early, for example (some end at 9:00, so if you got in late and slept in, you would miss it).

Since I will get little if any use out of the extras, I don't see the point in paying extra.

On the other hand, if I'm going to be around more then yes, I want all the goodies. :)

13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the length of stay. If I am staying for a long time I would prefer some extras like a fridge etc. But if it is only for one or two days then I just look for the basic amenities. The important thing to me is that the hotel is safe and clean.

14. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    If it is just going to be for a couple of nights then yes, I'll go for the basics. As long as it is a clean bed and bathroom I don't really care what else the hotel offers since I'll be out seeing the sights or working rather than enjoying the pool or a spa.

For a longer stay or a proper holiday I like to have a few onsite amenities in case it rains and I can't go out.

15. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This is such a good and most appealing time for having such amazing stuff through reading the posts.