For Snowbird RVers on a Budget

Discussion in Travel started by Feneth • Jan 3, 2015.

1. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I know the conventional advice is to go south of Frostproof for wintering in Florida. That's where it's warmest after all. January temperatures more like summer in the north. But the resorts down there book up fast AND command premium prices. If you're willing to spend your winter in fall temperatures instead of mid-summer, northern Florida is a great budget option. Daytime temps are mild, in the mid-sixties if you stay near one of the coasts. Nighttime temps might be cold enough for you to need the heater but not so cold your lines will be in danger of freezing. RV resort prices seem to be in the $400-$600/month INCLUDING electric in the Jacksonville area vs the $800-$1000 per month plus metered electric down near Miami and the Keys. WP_20141228_001. Fernandina Beach, weekend between Christmas & New Year 2014. Notice that it's warm enough that there are people enjoying it. :) Don't you want to be one of them?

2. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to be there and enjoying the warm weather too. After enjoying the New Year Eve in New York with the minus 21 degree temperature, It would be relaxing for me.
    Feneth! Your post is very helpful for me and also for all those who are in search of the warm region. According to you which resort would be best to stay there in low price?

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Bow & Arrow Campground is $425/month, including all utilities (electric, water, sewer, cable TV, and wifi) for 30amp hookups or a little more for 50amp. It's on route 17, which has a nice bike lane, around 15 miles from the beach or 10 miles from a huge walmart shopping plaza where you can pick up the Jacksonville bus route and get anywhere. They also rent RVs on site if you don't have one or don't want to hauls yours down.

Lofton Creek is only $400/month BUT it doesn't have wifi. It is right on the water of a small river and right next to a boat launch, which is nice if you enjoy fishing or kayaking. It is on A1A, also called state route 200, which is a major route to the beach. Probably less than 10 miles to the main atlantic beach access at Fernandina Beach.

Pecan Park is more expensive at $650/month BUT they're a) close to Jacksonville b) have more amenities including excellent wifi, and c) right next to the pecan park flea market which also has paintball and a bar and some really excellent little stalls.

All of them have weekly and nightly rates too. There are a lot of little state parks in the area that have some RV campsites available BUT they're shorter sites usually and mostt have a 1-2 week stay limit. We didn't really check them out because we're intending to be here until spring.