For the smokers...

Discussion in Misc & Others started by SarahLizzie • May 27, 2012.

1. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I know some people are going to says that I should just quit smoking in order to save money. But I do not want to quit. So I started getting the machine rolled cigarettes. Most places average a price of $25 for a carton, and can make them taste like your normal brand.

If you are lucky, like I am, you can find a small, private business that has a machine and charges a lower price. A gas station near my house charges $20 per carton, then you get a $5 off coupon for your next carton, plus a loyalty card. After you purchase 6 cartons you get the 7th free. Little things like this make me happy, so I can still enjoy my vice while saving money at the same time.

This allows for the additional money i would have spent on name brand cigarettes, to go into a savings fund for vacation!

2. lynda22

lynda22New Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a good idea, but I love my Vogue Slims! They're so light and perfect for me. I can't imagine smoking anything else!

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    That sounds like a happy medium between standard cigarettes and roll your own, and it's a good way to save money, if you don't want to give up smoking altogether. I wonder if this is purely an American thing, though? I haven't heard of anything similar in Spain or the UK, and as tobacco is getting increasingly expensive, I'm sure I would have.

I don't smoke myself, but I have no problem with others smoking if they want to - in fact when I visit the UK, I always bring over some tobacco and cigarettes for family members, as it's considerably cheaper in Spain. I can do this legally, as we're allowed to bring in stuff for our own use or for gifts.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Where do you go to find a machine roller? Like do you just ask around or something?

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I used to smoke the pre-rolled cigarettes, but they were so harsh on my lungs. There's no filter, so it took me a while to get used to them. My friends would bring them to work rolled, and they taste almost the same as they do in the store. Times are hard in the U.S, so I completely understand about you bringing your own cigarettes. At least you know there's no additives, and it's just pure tobacco you're smoking.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know you use to be able to find them at the cig. store but I don't know off hand where you can find them. You really do know what you are getting in a cig. when you roll them yourself. So happy rolling. I will probably do that for myself so I can save some money. I will let you know if I run across one of those machines.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    There was a place not too far from us that let you come in and use their machine to roll your own smokes. It was cheaper because it avoided all of the taxes that prepackaged cigarettes are faced with. The state changed their laws to tax ALL tobacco products and it pretty much raised the price so high that it was no longer a benefit to go and roll your own. Just thought I'd give you a "heads up" because as soon as your state figures this out, they may do the same.

8. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Tobacco and cigarettes in the U.K are becoming really expensive these days. I've nearlly given them up because of the prices and because I'm getting older now so it's time to make changes to improve on my health. I'll probably save over £2000 a year if I quite them altogether.

9. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen a TV commercial about e-cigarette and that there are testimonials about it that it really helped them quit nicotine. E-cigarette has not tar, no nicotine but produce smoke. I wonder what its disadvantages though..

10. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    this is a nice compromise between buying prepackaged cigarettes, which are insanely expensive these days, and the hassle of having to roll your own. However, I think that this is a solution that not everyone can take advantage of...meaning that it's going to be tough to find someone with a machine. To add value to this thread, I think that for those of you who know where a service/machine can be found, if you would post it here, it would be a huge benefit to those reading it.

11. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    I'm from the UK and the majority of us roll our cigarettes here. You don't need a little machine roller! It's a gimick. Sit at home and practise rolling yourself and eventually you'll get it. I can throw a cigarette (or a fag, as we call them over here) together in 20 seconds or so.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think that you should smoke to your hearts content. If you crave tobacco, well, just smoke...nothing wrong with that. Nothing to feel guilty over. I would recommend buying the most expensive brand - that way, you get the best bang for your buck - so to speak.

Happy smoking! (-:

13. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    You'll save a ton of money if you switch to electronic cigarettes...plus they're healthier. There are some that do come with actual nicotine nowadays, or you can get ones without which is the healthier choice.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    You really don't need a little machine to roll your own cigs. My ex would buy tobacco and roll it himself to save money. He would spend around $3 a week doing that and just smoke once a day. That was when the recession hit in the US and he was unemployed. He didn't have money for other things, but set aside that $3 every week.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's best to roll your own also and much cheaper. I haven't seen any in a store no place here because I would roll my own also. When I find one of those machines I will do just that or find the loose tobacco to use. The stores are making a killing with the ones in the pack.

16. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Good advice for smokers. Tks

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine sells hand rolled cigarettes by the bag fulls. You get about a carton's worth in a ziplock bag. I think when all is said and done, she makes about $5-$7 per "carton" that she sells, and it gives her something to do since she's retired. I think you can buy the filters too to go in these. I've considered making them myself but haven't gotten around to it. I tried it out like 20+ years ago with a cheap plastic roller and couldn't quite get the hang of it.

18. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to roll my own as well. A person can come out better of than buying them in the store because they are so expensive. I have been looking around for some rollers and the makings here in my town and haven't ran across any just yet, but I assume I will if I keep looking. So how much does she charge for each bag? Maybe I can buy from her until I find the items here.

19. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    Basically this. I am from the UK too and I have not seen anyone smoke commercially rolled cigarettes from a box for many years now. Once you do it a few times, you become used to doing it. Eventually, you will not even have to think about it at all.