For Those Who Live In The Country

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Oct 10, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where game like deer and moose is abundant would you hunt for dinner? I stumbled into a story about a pregnant woman whose craving for meat was so great that she grabbed a gun and went out to hunt from some meat. She shot a huge moose and got herself enough meat that would last her a month, or maybe even longer.

Could be a Neat way to save money. Anyone here tried something like that? If you haven't, were you to live in a place where you can hunt, would you do it [so you never have to buy meat]?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My sister hunts and have had deer often at the cook outs we have gone to. I do not eat very much meat and would have no problem just eating vegetables and fruit. I don't think I could kill and cure an animal so that I can eat when there is fruit there I can eat.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done it, and I don't know if I could. I would have to be pretty hungry to be willing to deal with how gross I think the butchering process is. There are so many deer in this town acting like they own the place and blocking traffic, eating up the landscaping that I have definitely thought about eating them to decrease the population. We jokingly call the the tasty scrumptious trespassers when they raid the garden.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not as gross as you think. Not all of it. What I hate most is having to cut open the stomach and get rid of it's contents. You can keep the stomach and organ meats and anything else which you won't eat for the pets [dogs or cats] to eat. That way nothing goes to waste. I'm sure if you were to slaughter an animal once or twice, you'd get used to it.

5. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I used to hunt with my family, but game wasn't so abundant that we could simply grab a gun, get a kill, and drag it back. There's a lot more work involved in the process as well. First of all, you have to skin the animal you kill. This, depending on the size of the animal, can take hours and is a very gruesome and hard process. Then you have to cut the meat from the animal. Again, a lot must be done before the food can be anywhere near prepared for cooking. The work isn't worth the reward in most cases if you were to use this method to eat your meals.