Foraging

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Jun 5, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Is anyone here into foraging for their own food?

When I used to live basically in the middle of nowhere (the nearest shop was around 20 miles away) I used to go and forage for some of my own food in the summer in particular. I used to be able to get wild garlic, wild strawberries, raspberries and blackberries from a country lane near to where I lived. I could get sloes as well, but I didn't tend to take those as I didn't really use them often enough. Maybe once or twice a year though.

If I wanted to walk a little further away there was chestnuts and hazelnuts in abundance as well so I used to go and get some of those too whenever I took my dogs for a walk out that way.

While I did often see mushrooms I never picked them though. I have a fairly good idea of what was and what wasn't edible (as my step father when I was a child was an expert in mushroom picking and taught me what to pick and what not to) I was always really worried about picking and eating wild mushrooms because they can be poisonous. I preferred to avoid them.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually did some foraging August through December when I lived in a place where mushrooms grew. I didn't have to go far hunting for mushrooms and almost everyday for three months I'd pick enough mushrooms for two meals if I wanted.

I miss those days. So much free, tasty food in the wild . . .