Forced To Watch Lame Youtube Videos In Class

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by jneanz • Oct 13, 2015.

?

Have you returned to school after many years?

Poll closed May 13, 2016.
  1. Yep...got a AA/BA/Masters

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yep...got a certificate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yep...but I just wanted to get out of the house

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Maybe...since many for-credit classes are now online

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Nope...never that!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    After watching Macklemore (and we watched in its entirety), I thought the torture would be over but in the first hour, I've watched more tired rappers, kids and other characters.

This is a media class where I have to sit through 2.5 hrs of b.s. before the instructor gets to stuff that's relevant. The downside of going back to school when you're well into adulthood.

2. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    Your teacher lets ya'll watch Macklemore..? Heck, I'd take your place in a heartbeat. I love rap. When you first see me, all you'll think of is a starbucks white girl, but my music playlist would suggest I was a hood rat with street cred. No lie. I got into college when I was just one month off from being 17 and I got hooked up with the wrong guy. I screwed over my schooling and failed out of 3 courses which ruined my GPA. Now I have to pay for classes until my GPA recovers and I can get back on FASFA. Now I'm married to this perfect guy who is encouraging me to go back and finish my degree. I'm going to work towards my B.A. in English with a minor of Journalism. I've always wanted to be a book publisher and/or work in a publishing company other than a newspaper. What degree are you going for?

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I got my Associate's online a few years ago and I still can't secure a job. What a waste of borrowed money. Now I come to find that they're doing away with Associate's now so my degree is even more worthless than before since all the applicants from that school will have Bachelor's now.
    Even though it's a college that isn't taken seriously, like the prestigious colleges some classes were easier than others. I had to retake one so it was not easy work at all. None of that work I did was worth it because it didn't achieve what I got the degree for.
    So the downside of school after childhood is you have to pay for it eventually.

4. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    If this isn't an accurate description of college degrees everywhere, I don't know what is. My mother has 3 degrees all in business and office work type stuff and can't get a job of her liking because she doesn't have enough experience in the actual work place. "How about three 3 degrees I specifically got for this job?" "Yeah, but you still need work experience even though you worked for the 3 degrees for 6+ years." Makes just about as much sense as what you said, right? Lol. It sucks that we use burrowed money for something that we can't even benefit from.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    For this reason, I'm not transferring, just sticking with industry certification. Fortunately, this class is paid for by the state but I had to get really sick in order to get government benefits. Otherwise, I'd tell anyone to get as many grants and scholarships possible.

Congratulations on giving it another try! My ex-fiance was an a-hole and he once bothered me while I was trying to write my first term paper. I've got an AS in Merchandising and was going to transfer to a state college but thought I'd take this Media certification class. About 70% of the lecture is the instructor celebrity name-dropping (I'm in L.A.) and 10% stuff I can actually use. So I decided to get a second degree in web development since I work a lot in e-commerce and social media.

#5Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015
  6. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    Wow @jneanz@jneanz sounds like you're getting into some awesome degrees. The minor in Journalism that I'm getting with my BA has to do a lot with media and a lot to do with the newspaper that I want nothing apart of. When I was in Jr. High, I had to job shadow and I chose our local news reporter. It was pretty cool how she had a good amount of freedom while still doing her job. She drove around town and had to listen to other people's stories while making notes. When she got back to the office, she formatted her story for the newspaper and gave it to the editor. And yeah, my ex boyfriend that I had ever since I was 15 - 18, me and him had big plans of moving to Arizona together so I was just going to get a quick degree, which was teaching at the time, and I'd be set as far as career wise down there. Yeah, well, he cheated. Numerous times so that deal fell through. I met my husband right after that disaster and he pushed me to go to college again. I'm just weary because I have to get a loan or two to pay for my courses until I can get my GPA up enough for the FASFA. That financial aid payed for EVERYTHING when I went to this community college to finish off my General Education. It's a great resource.