Free anti-virus!

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by dissn_it • Apr 29, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    MicroSoft has a free anti-virus software that you can download. I have used Security Essentials for years on many different versions of Windows. It offers real-time protection and you can customize update and scan schedules. The best part about it...it is FREE!
    Here's a link if you are interested:

2. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    I've used AVGFree for years. the same goes for spyware programs Safer Networking's Spybot S&D is one if if not the best spyware program in the world, and it is FREE. About the only real difference between free software and the paid version is that most free software are usually manually controlled.

3. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    ^I use AVG as well.

I personally find that the best anti-virus is yourself. You can avoid all types of malware and adware and all that bad stuff by just being aware of what you click and what you download. If on the off chance you do get infected though, I suggest Malware bytes! It's free but I'm not sure if they have an active anti-virus as part of their software though.

4. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    i've been using the free version of Avast for the past year. It does a great job and is adequate for a home computer.

#4May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I have used AVG over the past few years for my home computer.

It's sufficient enough to get the job done and keep things clean on my computer. Although, I am always searching around for other options that are better and improved, haven't really found anything worthwhile.

The free ones are all at the same level in terms of efficiency.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have known Microsoft Essentials long before but I have never used it. I have read about its features and it does not differ from other free anti-viruses. I don't like it because it uses more RAM than what I am using right now which is Avira. I think it is also a little slower and it hurts low end PC's.

7. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    Malaware Byte's Anti Virus is actually probably one of the best. It can scan the entire computer for ANY type of infected content and usually most the of the infected items can pop up in about 10 minutes or less for a fast reparation. It also doesn't take up much RAM, so you can have a virus scan going and play some games, do some regular stuff on the computer, and you'll barely notice the difference. And of course it's 100% free - no Pro memberships are necessary for additional protection either.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    AVG user here. Mainly because it's free. Of course, it works, too.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Thank you for the share. I will give it a try. The one I am using now keeps on updating and taking so much of my data. Since I am using my mobile sim for the moment...something that takes a lot of data stands out. Perhaps this option will be better.

I will give it a try...thank you again.

10. SmartVersatileCookie

SmartVersatileCookieNew Member

Threads:
    I do not think any program beats the free version of Avast. Avast offers the same protection as the leading virus protection software programs for free. I have had numerous trojans, spyware and viral links blocked from my computer for the last three years because of the effectiveness of Avast antivirus protection.

11. JayRSD

JayRSDNew Member

Threads:
    I've used AVG for ages.
    Although they say that the best antivirus is your brain.
    Monitor what you're downloading and think before you download and there is 0% chance of you getting infected!

12. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I use MSE for my old desktop because I don't want to bother with paid software on something I rarely touch anymore. I like it better than AVG (Free which I've used before) because it's easier to work and navigate. If I do come down with a computer virus that MSE can't handle, I'll just boot up safe mode, download and install Malware Bytes, and scan with both programs!

13. Animachine

AnimachineNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I never noticed any use for MSE. What I use now is a combination of Avast! Free Anti-Virus, and Malwarebytes' Free Anti-Malware. The two of them together do a great job of keeping my PC safe. Avast! always runs live, and protects you in real-time. Malwarebytes' is simply the best free virus scanner available, and is great to have around if your PC starts acting fishy. Better yet, you can run schedule regular scans to make sure nothing has made it past Avast!

14. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Me too. I set up Avast on all of the PCs in my house and have been renewing it on each computer for about six years now. It really does do the job well for our needs.

15. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Is this anything like Windows defender? That worked OK on my machine that had XP for an operating system, but once I got Vista it did not work worth beans. Then again, Vista is quirky by its very nature. I am using Avast free for the time being.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can successfully run and update Windows Defender in my Windows Vista. It's even a service pack 1 version. Now with what you said, Windows Vista is indeed one quirky OS. How was I able to run it when another user can't right?

Anyway, I don't think Microsoft products are good in detecting malware, since they can't detect the trojan that has been detected by Symantec in my pc.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will have to download this software, I was using Norton, it's time to renew but if I can save some money that is always good. Does the software version come in both Vista and XP?

18. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently using Kingsoft Free Antivirus. It functions like a fully paid antivirus because it provides complete protection of your PC. It's very powerful and fast and lightweight at the same time. If you want to go for a free antivirus, make it Kingsoft.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't pay for an Anti-Virus system. I have paid for Anti-Virus software in the past, it was expensive and it took up too many resources on my computer. I now use a free anti-virus - Microsoft Security Essentials and SuperAntiSpyware.

20. Justyn Mendoza

Justyn MendozaNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the info. I don't normally like to get free ant-virus software. But I was thinking about switching over once my Kaspersky anti-virus ran it's license course. The only reason I wouldn't normally do this is because of all the junk out there that claims to be great quality but is really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the malicious software found inside. I've actually seen a few of my friends wreak their computers by going with the free stuff so it always bothers me when I see something of that nature posted on a website.

#20Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012