Free Apps That Are Riddled With Ads

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by deathbyprayer • Feb 1, 2015.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I personally hate these kinds of apps. If you're an app developer and you're planning on developing and releasing an app for free and you're thinking about jamming as much ads as you can to compensate then just forget it.

I understand that free apps make money out of ads and I don't mind a little pop up ad after I finish each level in a game or before I close the app but for goodness sake do not put ads that just pop out every 5 seconds making the app a pain in the butt to use, not unless you turn off the Wifi.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know there are apps out there like that, but rarely have I come across an app that features that many advertisements. The simple solution is to purchase the premium version of those apps, and that's often an option for the more popular or prominent apps. I'm not going to fret over paying a buck to never see an ad in that app again.

3. Atlas_Hope

Atlas_HopeNew Member

Threads:
    I think a good rule of thumb is to just ignore free apps, they're just free in the broadest sense of the word. Even paying to upgrade to the non-ad version is part of the plan to make as much money as possible for as little content as possible.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't mind voiding your warranty you could root your Android to install Adblock, that way all the ads in free apps would disappear. It actually saves on your battery life since displaying the ads takes up the majority of battery when running such apps.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst I've seen in an app personally was just a banner at the bottom, so that never bothered me much. That said, I have my phone rooted, so I block all ads anyway. :)

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. Some people just go overboard with their ads and I don't ink they realize that they're hurting their chances for profit more by doing this. Whenever I come across apps like this I just delete them immediately as there are always other options, and had they just pulled back a little I would still have the app and they would make some money off of my impressions and ad clicks because I really do click them when I find something interesting.

7. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    I somewhat agree with you. Some major developers such as EA probably do not need to put ads in their games, but still do. However, there are the new developers that NEED this money to support their games. I'm glad to know that I am helping these Indie developers start their business. The problems start when they force us to click/open these ads.

That's when I delete their app, give a bad review, and report them on the apple store. If you're a developer, DO NOT do this.

8. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    It doesn't bother me at all as long as they do not consume too much data (Video ads or graphics-heavy ads) and they are not blocking me from doing my job on the phone. I know the developer also has to make a living. If I really like the app and the ads are annoying, then I will use Adblock plus which does not require rooting. You just have to do some tweaking to get it working. There are other options too that are available.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind downloading free apps from time to time, however I don't like it when there are ads too often. I will put up with one ad every time you open it, but when there are some on pretty much every screen you click one, it's just far too annoying, and that's the point that I will get rid of the app. If I get rid of a free app because I have been annoyed by the ads then I will never pay for another version out of principle. I don't like it when developers act like that in order to make you pay for things. It's not fair.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Um, how would EA make money from the games, if they didn't put the ads in? Just because they are a big publisher doesn't mean they are a charity...

11. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't wanna see ads in your apps, simply turn off your data or wifi when using the app or game. That would definitely eliminate the ads. This won't work for apps or games that require the use of the internet though. Duh. Anyways, I don't have problems with ads. I don't want our developers to not make any money from the things that they make. I do hate it if the ads are very intrusive. I uninstall the apps that are like that.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah these apps are the worst. Yes you can argue that you got the app for free but that doesn't mean you don't have the right to complain about it. Apps should be usable and not a nuisance to use otherwise you're missing the point of having the app.

13. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Some free apps are actually really good in terms of how they treat ad placements. I think what the OP was trying to point out here are those free apps that rely on cheap pop up tactics that gets the users off guard which makes them click or tap the ad accidentally thus interrupting the whole experience which I think you can agree is one of the most annoying thing ever to happen.

14. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    Phone applications make money through in-game purchases, advertisements and buying the game itself. Free applications have more advertisements because they do not have revenue for buying the game. But I agree, the endless pop ups of advertisements are really annoying and this can actually be a negative review for the application. They should maybe lengthen the time interval of each application.

15. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    That's is why I don't download most free apps... I understand they need to make their money from somewhere, but honestly, I would just rather pay for an app without adds if I had the option. The worse apps are the ones which are paid and STILL has ads. To me, that is disgusting.

16. Victoria Langley

Victoria LangleyNew Member

Threads:
    I do not mind the ones that are running along the sides but there are some games that you are right in the middle of playing and they pop up! I hate these ones because I have lost track how many times I end up clicking them as I was about to do something in the game, on top of that sometimes you loose where you were in the game. It often makes me delete the game and I certainly do not download the app so this style it not achieving anything. Now quiet ads that are just sat on the screen I do sometimes look at and think mmm I might like that game, I then go and download it. They also do not mess with game play. The downside though is they eat a lot of data as well though.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was recently asked to install Trivia Crack by a friend, so that the two of us could play it via our tablets. I installed it a few days ago, and began to answer some questions - as you do. There are ads between every single round of questions, which would ruin the flow of any competitive game that I may or may not be partaking in with my friend. And when you click out of one, another is often waiting behind it for you.

18. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    You can tolerate an AD if it is properly placed where it should appear and will not trick you in anyway to click it. I downloaded a FREE app... very nice. good feature. no problem with ad that pops out on top of what you do. BUT - every time I touch the X button to close it.. it opens the link to see more of the AD's details.. it seems like a bug to me though.

19. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    There's a science behind that ad placement, and I don't think the ads are placed randomly by developers just to ruin someone's day. I don't mind having to view ads within the game, but it does affect the gaming experience. Lately I also realize that when playing a game with your gadgets, there were times when the prior or after the ads the game would freeze or the game would glitch. Not often, but a couple of times. Those kinds of things are a bit annoying because I would sometimes have to redo the part of the level. The game would usually revert back to the saved version right before the ads were shown.