Free But Effective Anti-virus

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Decentlady • Nov 9, 2016.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I need to protect my pc with an anti-virus. I am baffled what to use as I need a free, lasting for a long duration and effective anti virus. I have windows 7. Can anyone suggest a good one.

I was previously with Kaspersky but their trial version is over.

I also have Malware Bytes installed on my pc.

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Avast at one time gave year long trials of their software. I was good software too. In fact, it had a lot of options I hadn't seen on other anti-virus software packages like boot scan. Boot scan is needed when your computer is infected with stuff like viruses from Facebook.

3. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I always stay away from free AVs because I had bad experience with them in the past. I always use Kaspersky since it has a lot of security features free AVs doesn't. With Free AVs, I sometimes have to manually remove the viruses because some trojans can't easily be killed unless you look for the backdoor program and delete or uninstall it, next problem would be rootkits, there are some that can hid themselves from security like trojans and the biggest problem most of the time would be corrupted HDDs, You are lucky if you own SSDs but with HDD the damage of rootkits is the worst, you may format your HDD but then this malware stays.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of Kespersky..but now I'll check it out for all of you speak very highly of it. I found Microsoft Security Essentials totally free. Best to go to

to get it too and not form free downloads site for it. I use a library internet computers for now, but I'll soon get my own laptop with Nov. black Friday and Cyber Monday in mind for it. I introduced Microsoft Security Essentials to the library for they have netbook to borrow for home use and it needed this type of protection. Now the library has incorporated Microsoft Security Essential on all their netbooks. (not bragging just that the library IT dept. deems Microsoft Security Essentials good to have on library's netbooks.) It's wonderful to have a good & free anti virus program to use forever that works so good. I'd like to find a free spyware removal and protection download too. Not too keen on AVG, yet for they bug you to buy their stuff all the time...just want a free one that works good.

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is only a basic security defense for machines running on Windows OS that's why Microsoft still recommend the commercial ones because they offer more security that what they have developed. MSE is there only if your AV starts to malfunction, it's like a backup generator that will keep your computer running and free from malware for a certain period. The only problem is, if your MSE got compromised, even if you install AVs, you'll notice that it won't be able to remove most viruses since some viruses already have adopted to the system of your computer making AVs ineffective. I recommend getting the commercial one most specially with computers that are always connected to the Internet. If you don't like Commercial AVs, you may want to install Deepfreeze, or similar applications.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)Thanks for your information and I learned a lot from your post. I liked the way Microsoft Security Essentials helped me use the library's netbook home borrow. Some people I talked with who also borrow the library's netbook said they encounter no slow downs no problems at all. I on the other hand has had slower to slowest netbook when on the internet, my scroll goes all by itself and my cursor jumps all over the place and it jumbles all my sentences all the time. I download Microsoft Security Essentials and it goes away when I click scan now. I have had my email, twitter and facebook hacked and someone from at least 5 different States have logged into my accounts. I've got 3 different email accounts. All three email accounts have had different login locations everyday. Gmail is the easiest to click DETAILS on the right bottom of your email and the window pops up and just a click to disconnect everyone else from your email. The other emails you have to go to several different pages to do what gmail does in one click! I'm working together with ic3.gov and account security to stop the different place of logins. Even Kim Russo the famous psychic has had id theft...someone used her name and created a page at facebook charging people for psychic help...she is fighting it so far. One thing I noticed aobut hackers is that they are persistent and smart...they even change my security pages so I work with the sites security to stop the hackers that login to my accounts. I'll check into DeepFreeze, I hope it's free:D. Thanks again.

7. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    You know what, it's true. It's been a big problem with most big countries, that's why I'm very vigilant when it comes to providing my contact details online. As much as possible, I only use my code name when posting online because, hackers can easily find ways to hack your information just by getting a simple PII or Personally identifiable information from their victims. When you are using bank transactions online, I would recommend that you either disable your browser addons or extensions as some may have hidden scripts that can gather your contact information, one good thing to add is to install a popup blocker on your browser, because there are a lot of popups lately that are infected with malware.
    Unfortunately, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, Deepfreeze isn't free but it's a lifetime computer security. There are alternative freeware similar to this but honestly, I haven't tried those. You can check this one as well Rollback RX--it's somewhat similar to Deepfreeze but it's free and I've seen a lot of good reviews of this product. :D

8. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Windows PC clients require a decent antivirus program to avoid malware assaults, to keep their PCs running effectively and to defend their online characters and individual data. Paid antivirus suites have many elements to ensure youngsters on the web, oversee security on cell phones, and screen a PC's firewall, programming overhauls and different elements. However, a few clients simply would prefer not to, or can't, pay a yearly membership charge for those additional components.

Avira offers exceptionally solid insurance against both far reaching and zero-day malware. Its somber however alternative pressed interface can scare at to begin with, and slower PCs may see an execution hit amid dynamic sweeps. Be that as it may, Avira Free Antivirus' sheer viability, high level of customization and extensive variety of free extra elements.

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried a number of free anti-virus programs and finally settled with Avira now. I have a 2GB RAM PC and this one is really working great in my PC without causing any troubles. As mentioned above it has an inbuilt virus and malware scanner which is quire helpful. During the last few months it warned me of hazardous sites and also caught a number of malwares and viruses. So I think this one is very effective.

MalwareBytes is a good option to check for malwares but it doesn't detect viruses. Also in the free version we have to manually check for malwares. But Avira locate some malwares even when MalwareBytes could not.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used AVG and Avast. I agree that they have issues like auto update even when the setting is manual. There's also the auto scan contrary to the setting. It is a hassle to notice that your computer has slowed down courtesy of your anti virus. But I have to admit that I am using Avast for now.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)Me I'm careful too...but what defense do we have for screen scrapping and spyware? I think this is how many people's information got stolen aside of being victims of information theft, via the security & data breaches at some retail outlets like Target or Neiman Marcus stores or like we had here in Hawaii at our University of Hawaii too are among some of the places where information or data got stolen after these sites got infiltrated by security breaches. You know what else at yahoo email and facebook the security pages get altered too so I can't delete current session by others! I've alerted the site's security so they are aware of it. Gmail is the best one click and all done other connections are disconnected. The button is located at our right bottom of gmail when you open your gmail, DETAILS click brings a page that opens and just another click to disconnect all other connections, great and easy to do! I've alerted security of sites about how ic3.gov can help them too for when a site's security pages get altered well that is done by savvy IT people doing illegal things, so ic3.gov the internet anti crime unit (FBI) can stop them and arrest them. Let's keep vigilant to protecting our identities, accounts and life. It's a good idea to check place logged in from at facebook to be sure too that your site isn't being tampered with as with other sites too, so you'll be sure to have security for all accounts. We are all careful, but the bad has IT savvy, do illegal things with that knowledge but, we got ic3.gov too so no worries! Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

12. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I can see how vigilant you are regarding data security. Well, of course we all should be. One reason why I don't login to public computers and WiFi, through this medium, you can get easily hacked. Thank you, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe. Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving as well! What do you have for later? :D

#12Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  13. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)Guess what we got so much food today on Thanksgiving we don't know what to do! Just when I think of going on a diet too all this food comes, lol:rolleyes:. Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, watching tv and eating. Just a relaxing day. I just can't stay off line too.:pTake care and stay safe!

14. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you, Krissttina. I'm sure you are enjoying it based on your post. Eat slowly OK? Remember, December is coming and we still have a lot of holidays to celebrate and of course more foods to eat. All the best! :D

15. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)Lol! I got to exercise too...luckily I got some no sugar added pie at our local supermarket Foodland. So hard to find sugar free pastries locally and I don't want to bake it. Thanks for the tip. You are so right Christmas is coming and I'm making a new holiday feast. Chicken don't cut it. :rolleyes:

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Avast, Kapersky, AVG. Their works are not enough to remove the virus especially to prevent from virus intrusion. Now I have ESET NOD32 antivirus of Windows 10 OS. It is effective.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really know much about which anti virus is best for use on a PC. When I formatted my former PC the technician installed Avast antivirus for me. I asked why avast he simply told it is the best. Ever since I have been using avast I don't think I have had any serious problem with it on my PC. I'd recommend avast for you.

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Every technician thinks their favorite anti-virus is the best, but there is no such thing as the best anti-virus, just the one that we get along with better. As for me, I have Windows Defender as resident and once in a while I run ESET online scanner just in case of doubt. Nothing like responsible navigation though. ;)

19. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I really do think that you can find some quality anti virus software out there for free. I have tried several, and they all pretty much compare well to the ones that you purchase, at least for what I need them for.

20. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about that @larryl332@larryl332, as the paid versions are always superior to the free ones, but at the same time, they can also limit our actions more because they control more of our machine. That is why I prefer a light anti-virus that does protect me, but it's not intrusive or annoying.