Free But Effective Anti-virus

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Decentlady • Nov 9, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I again switched over from Avira to Avast now. Avira was slowing down my computer completely. I think Avast is doing a good job and it works almost silently. The only drawback is its frequent online update which eats away some memory and also Internet data. I tried to make it manual and that was quite inconvenient as it asks for an update every now and then. Finally I am forced to opt for auto update.

Even though it blocked certain sites labelled as risky it could not catch any viruses till now. I think it's doing its job of protecting my PC. As @to7update@to7update rightly said there is no effective anti-virus like a responsible navigation.

2. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, right there what you are saying @luckycharm@luckycharm, updates are annoying. Most computers come with an anti-virus and the resident one that comes with Windows operating systems gets disabled, what is a shame because if we think of it Windows producers make one that is suppose to defend Windows, Windows Defender. That's the one I use...

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I only have MalwareBytes as an antivirus for my computer. I tried using several free antivirus which includes AVG, Avast, Avira, Panda and Kaspersky but they somehow does not suit my needs and I don't feel fully protected from viruses, perhaps because it's free. Then a friend of mine recommended MalwareBytes and I tested it, and up to now I'm using it and only the free version and I can say that I'm satisfied with the protection I can get :)

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I too have MalwareBytes in my system but it is not a perfect anti-virus program. In other words it is not a substitute for anti-virus program but it works well with other anti-virus programs. So you need to install a good anti-virus program too. I have both Avast and MalwareBytes (both free versions) in my PC.

Another issue with MalwareBytes is that the free version doesn't give any real time protection so you need to manually scan for malware programs. But it is very effective in catching malwares which cannot be detected by anti-virus programs.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes that's true. That's why I never remove MalwareBytes from my computer ever since I've used it. Yes I agree that I still need to install an antivirus program since MalwareBytes can't do all the job especially when it's free. I just don't know what antivirus to try since I have tried almost all. I forgot the last time I tried Avast though. Does it consume a lot RAM? And is it effective in scanning and removing viruses and threats?

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest Malwarebytes free version for anyone that doesn't have it which scans and detects most problems with your computer and eliminates the problems associated with the malware attack.

For a more thorough scan, you can download the free version of RogueKiller which managed to detect and eliminate a hi-jacker problem that Malwarebytes couldn't detect.

I suggest having both because even with the infinite free versions, my computer has been good.