Free College Tuition For Your Kids!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by H.C. Heartland • Apr 28, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There is a town called, Baldwin Michigan that offers this promise. If you google, 'The Baldwin Promise' you can read more details. But basically if your child attends school in the Baldwin school distict and graduates from Baldwin high school, the State of Michigan will pay their college. I have seen this advertised but do not know anyone from Baldwin to confirm details. Does anyone know of any other states/cities that does this?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is free education spattered here and there, but I don't know of anywhere personally. It is getting attention though and I think it's an absolute must. Everyone complains it will come from their pockets, but this is a small minded attitude. What does everyone think will happen to their economies if everyone is educated and able to move on to careers they want? More people educated and contributing to society.. that doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. Education is the key to most issues. Government is the rest lol..

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    That's nice, but I would like to ask who is going to pay? If the state is paying, it's coming out of someone's taxes, which means taxes will have to be raised to cover these costs. While I understand why so many people want college to be free, or at least seriously cheaper, you have to look at how our economy as a whole functions right now. We would have to do SO much restructuring in order to make this work without seriously hurting people via increased taxes who can't afford to pay them and still get by or stay in business. Not to mention, going to college does not guarantee a job paying any more than not going to college. Thing are not like they were 20 years ago. I graduated from college with a 4.0, 5 years later I still work minimum wage plus tips, which are few and far between. For me, it looks like college was probably the stupidest thing I ever did from a financial standpoint. I have gained nothing financially from it.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Based on the current methods, an all around restructuring is exactly what is needed. On both ends. Start with the schools and the stupid amount of money kids need to pay to walk in the doors.. where does that go? Brick and mortars aren't even needed anymore, unless for specific hands on days (labs etc). I'm assuming most people only want to pay for their education, but that's not all they're coughing it up for. If we look at this in black and white based on the ridiculous and outdated current model, yes, it's pretty far fetched... but it's really not. It will just never happen because of everything else those kids are keeping afloat.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd say that it's still better for the state/taxpayers to pay for a student's college (through programs like Baldwin's) than it is for students to rack up millions in debt collectively. I'd say the latter causes a deeper burden on society than the former. Still, I'm sure Baldwin is a small place, so this program probably doesn't affect that large a number of students today.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People are leaving Michigan in droves. The reasons are tax-related I believe. Initiatives such as these [free education] in some cities I suppose are an incentive to the tax-payers to stick around. They know that their money is being used for good cause, there's no reason they should depart.

7. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    This post sparked so many interesting comments! I feel like I'm in a men's smoking room in the year 1910 and we are drinking scotch and discussing the politics of the day. lol Very good points made though. Agreed! Pour me another!

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I could like your post twice LOL.

I agree.. and I do love these threads that discuss actual topics that can lead to conversation and great viewpoints from all sides. You seem to come up with a lot of those, I do enjoy how you contribute to the boards H.C. :)

9. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Thank you! I have enjoyed yours too. This is the best forum I have ever been a part of. And I have gotten some great deals and advice! That's what I like; it isn't just empty talk but people really are giving practical advice or tips on things we can actually use. You can tell many who post here have a lot of life experience and I'm so glad they are all willing to share it! And thanks to your post I now know how to add a proper smiley face and not just the keyboard one with a colon and half parenthesis. ;)