Free Condiments

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Stephanie • Apr 21, 2012.

1. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    This would have never occurred to me before my teen started working at Chick-fil-A, but some people out there never have to buy condiments because they stock up on all the freebies. My daughter says that someone might just order a small fry, a single salad, or you name it and then they aren't shy about asking for 3, 4, or more sauces to go with. She frequently works the drive through and Sees piles or a big bag of various sauces and packets stockpiled!

A word of warning, some of those sauces are loaded with calories.

2. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    Personally, I think this is wrong. If I owned a restaurant, this would make me angry. I do work at a restaurant, and I see it all the time. It's one thing to not use all your ketchup. It's another, ordering extra, knowing you're not going to use it. We have a breakfast buffet during the summer. A certain cop would come and order three buffets to go. She would fill every container completely, bursting at the seams full, and wipe out our entire buffet, and feed the whole police department. Uughhh.

3. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    Now that is out and out theft.

I know fast food restaurants build in the price of the condiments to the menu. They weigh how many people skip them, with how many ask for extras, and make their policies based on that. Many have restrictions but others don't. I would imagine that the owners who give away high quantities see it as a form of advertising and "making the customer happy" so they'll come back.

Some people have turned getting free things at restaurants into an art form. The stories that kid comes home with!

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I also take a couple of extra sauces when I buy a meal, because they're ideal for taking out in my motorhome, rather than carrying large, heavy bottles. I emphasise here I don't stockpile them, I just pick up a couple of extra packets. I am paying for the meal, so I don't see any problem with it. I wouldn't just walk in there and grab them. If the restaurants are really bothered about losing sachets of sauce, they just need to have pumps on the counter, so you can only take what you need. That would be cheaper anyway, although it would be something else to keep clean.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Furthermore, they're probably making enough of a profit on their overpriced junk food that a few extra packets of ketchup is probably nothing in their budget. If it made that much of a difference to them, they'd do something about it, like making you pay extra for extra condiments (as some restaurants do) or having the pump available.

I take napkins from restaurants as well. Usually they give me as many as fifteen napkins with my meal, and I usually only use one or two of them, so I take the rest home with me. I'll notice when other people leave extra napkins on their table and I'll take those as well. I don't feel bad about it either. The restaurant is not going to reuse them once they've been given to a customer. They're just going to get thrown away.

6. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I always do this too. Especially at Taco Bell. We make fajitas and tacos at home sometimes and I love their sauce on them.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. I don't go out of my way to get freebies. But if I see some extra napkins left on a table or I can get a couple of extra ketchup packets, I'm not going to turn it down after I just paid $7.99 for a value meal.
    Anything that is offered to me ,I accept. Like one lady at McDonald's always offers me jelly when I order breakfast. I don't turn it down, I can use it later and I already paid for the breakfast.

8. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I do not like this method.

Not only is it embarrassing, but honestly it does not cost much for a condiment at a grocery store. If you really can't afford it, then maybe I can understand, but the store or place that you are getting these freebies from are losing their "merchandise" to you. If you can afford it, buy it. Especially since you clearly like the product enough to "work the drive-through".

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I don't make it a point to grab extras but when we do have extras I keep them in the fridge as back up for when I run out of something. It is usually the ketchup or hot sauce packets that we get the most of. I can't see hoarding them on purpose. I also keep a few extra napkins in the glove box of my car. I started doing that when my kids were little. They are really nice to have handy if someone spills something in the car.

10. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    One thing to remember is those condiments are loaded with horrible things, like corn syrup, sodium, and all sorts of artificial ingredients. You're really not doing yourself any favors. On a long enough time line, this will actually probably cost you money in negative health effects.

11. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    yeah but you have to remember that a lot of people may use sauce in small or moderate amounts so I wouldn't be too concerned if you're not downing packs and packs each day. I like making my own sauces but eh, sometimes you get a little lazy and have to go for the unhealthy stuff. As far as this topic goes, yeah, a lot of people do that with plastic wear like forks and spoons and napkins as well but hey, might as well since it's basically free.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ironically these same people could afford to buy their own condiments at the dollar store if they weren't going out to eat every day. I have a friend that does this too, but he said that some of the fast food joints are starting to charge for extra condiments these days - like 15 cents each or something. Personally, I usually skip the condiments, but I do know people that stockpile them.

13. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few places in my area scoped out and I go to the ones that leave the condiments out for you to get yourself are the winners. I will get my normal meal and then load up the ketchup and anything else I can get. I even do it with forks and knives. I don't go overboard on each place though; maybe just a handful then I go on my way. I haven't bought ketchup or hot sauce in a long time.