Free Gas

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Vinaya • Aug 17, 2016.

1. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone realized that you can use organic waste to generate free gas to your kitchen? During the anaerobic degradation all kinds of organic waste generates gas. Gas obtained from anaerobic degradation consists of methane, carbon dioxide and water. Since the gas contains over 80 percent methane, it is inflammable.You can us this gas to light your stove. You can build a biogas digester and produce bio gas from organic waste in your household.

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    You can obtain bio-gas from food waste, decomposable organic material and kitchen waste, consisting of methane and a little amount of carbon dioxide that is a nice alternative fuel for cooking gas (LPG). Also, the waste materials can be disposed off efficiently without any odor or flies and the digested slurry from the bio-gas unit can be used as an organic manure in the garden.

The major components of the bio-gas plant are a digester tank, an inlet for feeding the kitchen waste, gas holder tank, an outlet for the digested slurry and the gas delivery system for taking out and utilizing the produced gas.

A micro bio gas plant is also useful for students to have a hands-on learning experience in constructing a Mini Bio-Gas Plant, using locally available material.

3. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I currently live in a Third World country where cooking with methane gas is common in the poor areas. The problem is that most of these people install their gas pipes by themselves, and the pipe which in reality often just is a rubber hose, doesn't have any proper tap on it to regulate the flow of the gas. This means that often the make-shift dwellings of these people blow up and burn to the ground. On average, there is at least one explosion per month. Unfortunately, there is no money available fat all to improve this condition, however simple it might be.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not that handy of a person, and my first thought on reading the original post was the if i tried to do that, I'd probably blow up the house. I love cooking with gas, and enjoy the fact that it's cheaper to heat the house with that than electricity, but I have to say, it still scares me somewhat. It's nice that apparently there's an alternative for those with the knowledge and skills to take on this project, but it's definitely out of my skill set.

5. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Yeah I'm gong to have to agree with @Diane Lane@Diane Lane , I don't know how safe that would be. I would do tons of research before trying that.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    There is a government research and scientific development agency in my country which trains people on how to use compost and waste to generate methane gas which can be used for cooking purposes. They give the persons expert knowledge on how to set-up the biodigester and to execute the entire gas extraction process. Many of the pig farmers and farmers, in general, have utilised this process which supplies them with gas for heating and cooking and which will bring to them savings on energy costs.