Free Google Apps

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by cluckeyo • May 29, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I recently learned that when I get another computer, I will not need to buy MS Office anymore. Google has the whole thing online and it's free. If you have a gmail account, then your signed up already. Google Docs is like Word. Google Sheets is like Excel. Gmail, Calender, and Keep altogether replace the need for Outlook. There is also a presentation app. I really love it because it's all online, I can go to any of my computers and it is all there, just by signing into Gmail. And it's free!!

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using Google and Gmail for the longest time but didn't know about this nifty information. Thank you so much for sharing this! Since I own a MacBook, it's quite hard to access some files from Microsoft. Would I be able to access these now with the use of these free office programs from Google? That has always been what frustrated me about Mac, I cannot access so many files from other softwares. And it's the only thing that I consider a downside of owning a MacBook actually.

Another question, can I possibly open these files that I make on Google Docs, Google Sheets or even the presentation app in another system? Like maybe Mac or Microsoft? Would these files even open in say, MS Word or MS Powerpoint? That would be cool if it does, there would be no need for me to use another PC or laptop for these files.

Thank you in advance!

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    You are welcome! I'm glad you could use that information. I am just getting onto the apps myself and have been curious about the same things you asked about, so I looked into it this afternoon. What I found is, that indeed the Google Apps are compatible with Word, Excel and so forth. You would load your document into Google Drive in order to use it. And it does say that it works with Mac. A really nice thing Google has going here!

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Indeed. These apps are readily available when you install the chrome navigator and log in with your gmail account. You can store all your files within the google drive cloud. Is pretty handy and convenient to have around instead of paying a expensive license for Microsoft Office that sually offers more than you really need in general.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that most browsers nowadays can view PDF files when you open a PDF document, so it's not surprising that Google will offer this feature. I also don't have a Microsoft Office here in my PC, so that feature will come in handy for me.

6. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I also love these Google features, have only used the Google version of MS Word and it's really handy especially if you don't want to spend a dime for MS Office Suite which does cost alot. But i think the downside of these google apps is that you can't use them offline.

7. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I've started using these Google apps this year and I must say they are amazing free software! Very robust and comparable to MS Office. In fact, many companies are starting to use these applications exclusively now also since they make collaboration so easy. I definitely recommend anyone to try them out!

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like my PC laptop is on it's last leg, so I just spent an evening moving everything of consequence off of my laptop and onto Google Drive. It was a snap and now everything is all there and Docs and Sheets seem to open with ease. I had a lot of local phone numbers, notes, and so forth in Outlook contacts. I went ahead and imported them to Gmail. I had a folder full of IE bookmarks and I imported them over to Chrome browser. Now all this is usable across devices. I put all my photos on a flash drive. I will need to move them to Googe Drive in the middle of the night so that I can enjoy unlimited bandwidth for that task. Now I am ready for inevitable crash, come what may!!

9. v_lady_g

v_lady_gNew Member

Threads:
    Having Google Drive is one of the best features any Gmail account owner could have. Our work tools include Google Drive (and all the apps that come with it ie Sheets, Docs, Presentation, etc). This just made collaboration a whole lot better than it used to be. Being able to edit documents simultaneously with team members is, so far, the most outstanding feature Google Drive could offer.

10. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    My employer requires twenty-five 500-word articles per week from me so I'm taking advantage of Google apps. I can readily access them from my Google account and I do appreciate that I have extra storage in the form of Google Drive. I can also store my photos in Google photos. I have a hefty collection of ebooks in Google Playbooks as well. I get to use all these apps for free and they're not complicated to figure out, too.

11. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that's such a good information, thanks for sharing it, it will really help a lot of people who use this kind of things, however, I do not really think those Google features are as complete and well explained as Microsoft Office's applications, I personally think that Google features are mostly for simple documents and short things unlike MS Office, I personally prefer MS Office when making formal documents for school/work or anything like that, Google docs is way too simple for me and actually not the same thing whatsoever, that is my opinion though.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Open Office, which is probably the most similar to Word. I haven't attempted to use google docs for anything. I know I have that available on my computer but I haven't really tried to use it and I am not sure why. I guess it is something I should investigate. I think I would be able to make good use of Google Docs.

13. zaheerz

zaheerzNew Member

Threads:
    I just use wordpad, and google drive. Screw spending money on Microsoft products when you can just use other

14. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Looks like you're a pretty simple person, dont you use any communication/chatting app such as WhatsApp or probably Messenger? It's actually one of the weirdest things ever, a person who does not use the most trendy app nowadays, is there any reason why you dont use any of them? I would really like to know, just wondering.