Free Online Courses

Discussion in Misc & Others started by kaka135 • Jul 15, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    As a stay at home mom, I always take the opportunity to take free online courses as I don't need to travel and leave my young kids to others, and I can learn at my own pace.

What free online courses do you take or recommend?

My son is taking some Math lessons from

, which I think is a good learning platform.There are also more other subjects and topics to learn.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've taken various courses online for free at Open2Study.com. They last for a month and have four modules for each courses. If you pass the assessment test per module, you're going to receive a certificate from them and this is also free. I took up courses like Writing for the Web, Big Data, Financial Literacy, Diagnosing the Financial Health of a Business, Robotics, Games Development, Project Management, etc. I've also studied programming courses at Codecademy and Guru99.com.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I really admire the companies that commit themselves to this kind of practice. It's something of extreme necessity for people who can not afford courses (relatively expensive at most :() and they are always very helpful.

Speaking from my own experience, I've done several online courses and all my experiences have been great. ;)

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    These courses can be a great way to save money on tutoring. However, though, it often comes to a point where students still need don't get the answers they need. In that case, there is still a huge demand for one-on-one tutoring.

@Jamille@Jamille That's awesome, but nonetheless, employers might not respect these free certificates, or at least, not to a significant degree.

#4Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille I am impressed with all the courses that you have taken. I would love to take some courses especially if they are free. I am going to check out these sites and see what is available that would interest me. Thanks for sharing them all. I can see how employers might not think that the free certificates would be as good as the ones that people have taken college courses to earn. This would be my first thought about them too.

#5Jul 16, 2017
  6. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille You are doing great learning online, and you have really taken up courses in different areas. It's really great that you learned those on your own.

Thank you for sharing those sites. I only knew about Codeacademy, but not others. I will check them out later, and hopefully I will make some time to take up some courses in future, or perhaps for my children.

#6Jul 16, 2017
  7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 Maybe not, but prospective employers will appreciate the fact that a person is exerting efforts to improve his/her skills and knowledge. They're obviously not equivalent to a bachelor's degree, but so are the seminars that we're required to attend every now and then to complete our CPD requirements for our profession. I don't really need the certificate, but it's a bonus and it gives me bragging rights to to include the course in my list of seminars. And oh, you can actually take 4 or 6 courses in a month if you want to. The online free courses at open2study.com last for a month but it only runs for about 8 hours and the schedule is flexible. You can even finish a course in one day if you want to but you'll have to wait at the official closing of the course to download the certificate. What's more, I'm getting used to the Australian accent. :)

@kaka135@kaka135 , you can also try printing worksheets from superteacherworksheets.com if you're child is in pre-school or elementary. They save me a lot of time and they're free, too. (I just love free stuff.)

#7Jul 17, 2017
  8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille Thank you for sharing this. I love free stuff too, as I can't really afford to pay much.Yes, I have an elementary school child and a pre-school child too, and I am homeschooling them, hence I am always finding free resources to teach them and also let them practice.

#8Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  9. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, and I would check out some of the free YouTube tutorials-and it seems like you can learn languages or things like math skills which are very important for kids and people in general. You could look into something like proofreading skills if you are a writer as well-also I think you could explore some fun things for your kids-like making paper airplanes which would be quite interesting.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, besides those online courses, I have found many tutorials or printables for free online, for kids to work on or play with. It has become so easy for parents, as we can now find so many resources online for the kids and for ourselves too, though sometimes there are really too much. :p