Free or Cheap e-Books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by kjscrafts • Apr 14, 2012.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Hey don't knock the free ebooks from Amazon. Yes, these are usually people who are self publishing their books and aren't what you would call established authors. But hey everyone has to start somewhere don't they? Yes, there could be those that aren't worth your time in reading, but I have found this in even published books that I paid money for. At least these are free to read and if you don't like it, you can also delete it from you device. My feeling is you never know who you might discover out there, after all isn't this where The Hunger Games originated? So, maybe some other author is out there just waiting to be discovered as well.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon is just my total favorite for getting free books ! They put books out for free every day, and you have to look often, because they only stay free for a day. You need an Amazon account, and then go to the Kindle ebook store. You can choose the topic you want to look for, and then choose price low to high, and it will show you the free ones first, and then the cheapest ones after that. If you set up One-click shopping, it will send it right to your kindle or iPad . I get all my gardening and even knitting pattern books this way. You just have to keep looking for the ones you want, to come on sale free. To me, it is an absolutely great service. Also, the books are rated, so you can see what other people thought about the book before you get it.

3. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    You can get hundreds of free eBooks online from ebookmaniacs.com - their all free Ebay eBooks. Lots to choose from.Enjoy!

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I personally found a website that I have been using ever since I downloaded the first ebook for free from it.
    It is called epub and it has books that are even very recent and just published. I like the fact that it is so easy to use and to search for and the fact that they are free just makes the whole experience of downloading them amazing. I even found some texbooks for school on this website so I am recommending it to everyone I know.
    You won't regret using it!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried downloading there too but I can't, because they require you to upload files first before you can download. I guess that's their way of increasing their content.

6. Ingrid Cazala

Ingrid CazalaNew Member

Threads:
    If you have a kindle you can buy free books. What I have noticed is that if there is a series for example the first book will be put on for free to give you a real idea or moreso to intice you into buying the book..... However more often than not the book is less than 50 pages. A free 50 page book is great, don't get me wrong. But I feel like when the book is this short it just randomly stops halfway through the story in order to get you to pay for the second installment. However this has a reverse effect on me... For some reason I refuse to pay even just a few dollars or pounds on a book that I only downloaded because it was free and in all honesty wasn't all that interesting. I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this view but I honestly doubt it.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People have already suggested Project Gutenberg but most of the books there are those that no longer have license like the classics and a number of academic resources. For myself, I prefer downloading free and paid electronic books from the Book section of the Google Store. I like the feel of Google Books' interface. At times, I randomly search online and scour through the results. More often than not, I manage to acquire the electronic copies I need.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am actually not a huge fan of ebooks. I still prefer paperbacks. But I have downloaded quite a good number of ebooks from Goodreads for free, and they are absolutely worth reading. I have ebooks from the authors Leo Tolstoy, H.P. Lovecraft, and Virginia Woolf.

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can borrow ebooks from the amazon Lending Library. It is a great service that Amazzon provides, and many of the books on the lending list are ones that would be very expensive if you were to purchase them. The rules are that you can only borrow one book at a time, and one book per month; but if there is an expensive book that you wish to read but do not need to own, then this is a great way to have more books to read.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Others have mentioned Project Gutenberg, and it is still my go-to for classics. I’ve also used tuebl.ca quite often. The selection can be slightly spotty, but I’ve definitely gotten some excellent books from there. I may not have become a Murakami fan if not for that site.

11. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    One place that I have found is called Bookbub. They also are great because they will send you the deals that they have. Everyday they will have some different deals a ton of ebooks. I'm pretty sure that there are some that are free on the site. I don't know how good they are, but hey free is free. It's worth it to check out. Most of the books that are on sale are like $1.99 and $2.99