Free Or Paid Anti-virus

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Sunflogun • May 18, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    There are quite a few free anti-virus and at the same time paid versions from those as well. What is your case, are you happy with the free versions or, if not, what makes you pay the money and go for the premium. Is there really a need to pay for an anti-virus program?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you use your laptop or computer for work or access University sites then you are required to have a certain level of anti-virus and internet security on your computer. Free ones are fine for browsing, but if you deal with sensitive data then it is worth paying for a level of security.

I know at University, before you log onto the intranet they check you have adequate anti-virus before you can log on and often will offer it free or at a reduced rate.

3. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Hmmm... I am happy with the free versions as they catch most, if not all of the potential viruses and malware I get. Avira, AVG, Comodo, Spybot (for anti spyware), etc. are great tools that get the job done with free versions. Combined with smart/keen browsing (don't download suspicious files or visit known dangerous sites), you can avoid having your system infected.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paid antivirus programs get better support, and they've been shown to catch more viruses that are new or relatively unknown. If you want basic protection, then go for the free options, but individuals that are serious about protecting their information and data should opt for some of the better (affordable) paid options out there.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can honestly say that I have never, in my life, paid for anti-virus software, or malware software, or anything like that. When I was first learning the ropes of the internet - which sites to navigate and how to be safe and such - I incurred quite a few nasty viruses, and malware problems. But I quickly learned, and I feel like that eliminates my need for the support that comes along with paid anti-virus software? Most of the people that I know use free anti-virus, and they get along fine. I honestly don't know how paid anti-virus companies make all of their money. Mind you, there are many novices out there who would rather just pay to be protected from the outset.

6. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the same case as you Dreek, I never paid for an anti-virus program because I feel that there are good free alternatives. At the same time, the best protection we can have is to be aware that some sites are dangerous and that we are better off not visiting them.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is just me talking so I hope I wouldn't be taken out of context. I personally think it's a waste of money. I could eat a week's worth of meals with the amount I have to pay for an anti-virus software. Although it sounds like a run-of-the-mill conspiracy story, my intuition tells me some of the viruses populating cyberspace were created by the very people manufacturing anti-virus programs. I'm settling for Avast. It's good enough for me. Nothing annoying has happened so far and it's just as effective as paid software.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used Avast, Mcaffee, AVG and Norton. Some detect viruses better than others, but they do the basic job quite well. I haven't paid for an anti-virus yet and I don't think I will, since I'm quite content with the service the free ones provide.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have always just used free software when it comes to antivirus and it has served me well. The last time I got a virus that was difficult to get rid of was nearly a decade ago, and back then I only had to research the specific problem and get another free antivirus that could deal with that specific type of spyware. I think in most cases a free antivirus could do the trick, especially if you consider that Windows already has a built in antivirus on its own on top of installing another free third party software.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm reluctant to pay for any antivirus programs, because occasionally throughout the year, I may switch from one to another to see if there is any performance benefit, and/or if I am running into compatibility issues with other software I need. I would hate to pay for a year's subscription to some AV then discontinue using after a few months, in addition to having to pay for whatever new AV I am considering.

I will typically just install the "free" version and leave it at that, or perhaps hunt down some shared serials for the full version in lieu of buying the application myself.

My other big gripe with the "full" versions of these AV programs is they often contain a lot of bloatware that I don't even really want in the first place, so it's not even worth spending my money on. For example, I never enable the email scanners or link scanners (the later of which wastes your bandwith, especially if you're on a capped internet connection, such as a mobile hotspot). These types of things just slow your computer down and provide little real value.

11. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    This is one thing that I always wondered about, considering most people don't buy anti-virus program, how do those companies survive? They operate in the limit of legality I think because they say that trial periods expired and that the computer might be at risk creating fear in those who don't know.

12. Basinator

BasinatorNew Member

Threads:
    I have never even considered using a free antivirus. From the tests I have done and/or witnessed, paid ones are a considerable amount more effective. I use Symantec's Norton 360. It is quite annoying (especially so if it decides to delete your downloads), but it is very effective at what it is doing. I have found it to detect viruses that other software can not detect.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good old AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials are good enough for me. Completely free, easy to use and unobtrusive. I'll also run CC CLeaner once a week and this keeps me virus-free.

14. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I use a free antivirus program called Avast. It keeps me safe. Although most free and paid programs will give False positive virus reports on programs you download such as games even though you know it does not contain a virus.

15. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    I am totally happy with the free Avast virus guard. That with MalwareBytes Premium (the only thing I've purchased when it comes to security) is always my selection of choice to install security programs.

I don't like buying virus guards because well, they seem to be expensive and most of the time, memory hogging. So, as long as you know how to browse around the Internet and don't end up getting click baited, you will be totally fine.

Also, install AdBlock Plus. Definitely helps to block those nasty ads and pop-ups.

16. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the most widely asked questions on the internet. I'd go for Kaspersky internet security or Norton internet security suites as my paid options because they give total peace of mind. If you don't want to pay any money, you may consider Avast home edition or Microsoft security essentials along with a credible firewall. (Windows firewall should do the job).

Currently, Avast premium full-feature edition can be obtained on a 2-month trial.

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's mainly just a novice thing. I have had paid antivirus before because it came with the computer and they weren't as good. The only paid antivirus I can vouch for is Kaspersky as it's super fast and doesn't seem to take up much resource. Avast in combination with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware is the best to me. The only problem I have with Avast is it tends to hog up your resources but I just have it off most of the time. Like you say as long as you are sensible with your browsing it's not really a problem.
    There's just no point in paying in general because there's always a chance you'll get something eventually no matter what you have and if I think the software was missing something, I look in my files to see what shouldn't be there.