Free Programming On The Roku - Tv Shows And Movies

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Diane Lane • Aug 30, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I only have local channels on the cable now, I have looked around a bit on my Roku, which had been sitting unused for a few months. I tried one program to watch a movie, but the commercials were very annoying, going up a tremendous amount in volume, and it seemed they were interrupting my show every few minutes. I could have paid $.99 for the movie and skipped the ads, but since it was my first time, I wasn't aware ahead of time how annoying they would be.

Then I found FilmRise, which has some interesting movies, and is also free. It has commercials, but they're not nearly as annoying as the other program I'd tried, and there were far fewer of them. I actually watched two movies on there the other day, and enjoyed it. The movies I watched were independent films that were a bit of a combination of thriller/mystery, with a hint of horror, but not the bloody type. It's one of the options on the Home screen of the Roku, in case anyone is interested, but hasn't come across it yet. They have a website also, and here's a

to it, in case anyone would like more information.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love Roku and how easy it is to stream shows on my TV. I don't have a smart TV and I am tired of paying for xbox live. One month of Xbox live is the same price as a Roku and I get to watch my Netflix. I love it! Mine has a remote too.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I really like Roku a lot! But the constant commercials are annoying. My current location has WiFi service, but I'm in search of something similar that will work with a 3G internet connection. That is much slower and so often times movies won't stream but might be able to be downloaded. Recently, we tried to rent a movie using the Roku though and were so disappointed because it said we didn't have as strong enough connection and that was using WiFi! So I am doubtful if I am really going to be able to find what I am looking for.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always say the same thing. But the best way to get free television, for those that are internet savvy anyway, is to pay for your internet connection, and just download the shows that you like to watch. Of course, you have to know which sites to go to and which ones to avoid, so there is a slight learning curve.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hopefully the provider will upgrade the service. I waited to move into this neighborhood until they upgraded, because I couldn't stand the thought of going from broadband back to dial up, ugh.

I have been having so many issues with my service for quite a while. Back in April, they came out and re-ran the lines after a squirrel chewed through them. This time, the issue was apparently my router. I finally got the new one yesterday and just finished installing it. The connection seems much faster, and so far, the TV hasn't stalled, either.